• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Cameras in close carers job work place, never informed?! Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras in close carers job work place, never informed?! Help!

I work as a Carer for a gentleman with CP, he is wheelchair bound and has care throughout the weekend and through the night, during the week he attends day centers in the day and carers from 4pm till the following morning. I am employed by him also 3 other carers, I have been here 8 years and the job is in the employers home, a two bed flat, one is the gentlemans room and the other is for the Carer at night and on breaks. With shifts lasting 22 hours, you would eat, sleep, wash, change, shower etc.
    but I have just seen something I believe I wasn't supposed too, on walking past my employers lap top I noticed myself on a small screen from a different angle and several other boxes filming other rooms and angles within his flat, MY WORK PLACE! I'm shocked? Firstly because I undress in the carers room, and feel a massive intrusion and loss of trust? Should the staff have been informed? I don't know which rooms are covered and even if I can ask? I feel really awkward and some what disgusted? Please please could someone advise, I was under the impression cameras should be visible and employers should at least know they are not being filmed during personal things? Or is there some special rules for caring within a persons home???
    Tags: None

Re: Cameras in close carers job work place, never informed?! Help!

Hi and welcome.
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I about workplace monitoring by CCTV will be along.
    For what it's worth my understanding is that if monitoring is deemed necessary by the employer it must be proportionate to the purpose.
    If CCTV is to be used an impact assessment should be carried out, and all staff effected should be informed (unless telling staff would defeat the purpose eg detection or prevention of crime).
    Your contract might have something about ouvert and couvert monitoring.

Comment

Check to see if the room in which you change has a camera. If it does, you will need to consider what you want to do next.

Comment

I would confront the person paying for the care is it the gentleman or someone else if the cameras are in a room where the cares change wash or use the loo it might be against the law and are the images stored?

Comment

The gentleman pays me as a private employee? I pay tax insurance etc, get a pay slip, there has been small incidents of money going missing. This I believe could be the reason for the cameras but it would not excuse having any surveillance in the private area where carers change etc. I do not wish to take advantage of the gentleman I care for by asking him as if we were supposed to be told surely we would have. He has a mild learning disability, hence he may show me. But his parents do all his admin and wages etc, so would be the ones too install and arrange for the cameras. Even if the cameras only cover his private bedroom and social lounge, I still feel like at night when he has gone to sleep I may have a shower and come out in a towel, which if I knew I had cameras on me I would not! The images and computer are linked to his dad and brothers computer, so I have no clue who or what is being monitored? I have just spoken to another staff member to ask if she was aware and she didn't, she had the same reaction as myself. We have a staff meeting on Friday and she said I should just say what I saw and ask what areas are covered? If that is, the will have realised I spotted it on the screen so they may contact me! I'm considering calling acas as I want to know specific to this job type, what my rights are. If I am told in Friday or find out that the carers space has been covered then I will be handing my notice in and suing them!

Comment

There may be legal implications here if images are transmitted to other computers acas might help or even the police?

Comment

Does the Information Commissioner's Office know about this.

Is the 'employer' on the Data Controller Register? (including a 'special purpose' listing for CCTV use?)

http://www.ico.org.uk/for_the_public...ic_guides/cctv
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I feel sick, I can't come to work not knowing, no work till Friday which is when the meeting is, I will find out as much as I can and then just be honest and say what I saw, depending on the reaction or explanation I will follow acas etc advice. But now think they will have seen me on camera and be prepared to be able to say no there are no cameras in carers room or bathroom, but how do I know? All the trust built in 9 years is gone?!

Comment

I am wondering if the employer's conduct amounts to a breach of trust and confidence. The ICO has published guidelines on the use of video surveillance of employees. If the employer has failed to observe these guidelines and the ICO takes the view that the law has been broken, it could prove to be a very expensive exercise, indeed, for the employer.
                  Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I do not know the legal side of this problem, I do know that cameras and sensors can be placed in homes that are occupied by people with Dementia. These are to track the persons movements as they are often erratic and dangerous, so I can see why they would be placed in all rooms. Maybe an idea to see if there is a reason in this case, these are I believe called grannycams but as I aid earlier I don't know the actual legalities of this equipment.

Comment

If one or more camera(s) had been placed in a room or area where a carer might reasonably expect privacy and if any indecent images had thus been captured, an offence contrary to section 67 (link1, link2) of the Sexual Offences Act 2003 may have been committed.

Comment

I absolutely agree with cameras in such circumstances,,we hear of too many cases of abuse/neglect/theft. But I take the point about bathroom/carers room.The simple answer to all this is just ASK,,,,,tell them you have inadvertantly discovered that there is surveillance in the residence and tell them you need reassurance that no privacy of the carers has been compromised...and gauge your next move by their answers.
                        If you feel you cannot work under such conditions then resign.....but get your facts right first before you take any radical actions.If the cameras are not compromising carers privacy I can't see what the problem is.

Comment

The question must als be what has happened to the images where were or are the cameras and are all the relevant laws regarding recording being observed.I can agree it would be correct to have covert cameras if there was a suspicion of abuse of the gentleman but to have cameras in areas where he does not go must be answered.the OP needs advice from wherever as to the legality of it all data protection rules may have been broken and the laws of indecency may have been broken if so the police must be called

Comment

I agree Wales..but I do think putting the cart before the horse (ie.....NOT asking the questions) is not a wise move.

Comment

problem if the OP starts asking questions it would be easy if the persons family are using the cameras wrongfully or illegally they woud remove them and destroy the evidence ,if the authorities are called they will investigate no one except a wrongdoer has anything to fear,as much as the gentleman being cared for has a right to care and no to be abused the carers have rights its a 2 sided thing

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X