• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Nando's refusing to pay tips to worker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nando's refusing to pay tips to worker

Hi,

I'm asking this on behalf of my Spanish housemate – her English isn't so good when it comes to legal terms/contracts, etc.

She works for Nando's 6 days a week. Her day off is Sunday. Yesterday she came home fuming, because she had been left out of the tips division. When she asked the manager why she had been left out, the manager told her that it was because she hadn't attended a staff meeting last Sunday at 8:30am. Previously the manager had told her that the staff meeting was mostly for any grievances any employees had, and to chat about how things were going and how people were getting on, etc. She was also told it wasn't compulsory. My housemate finished her Saturday shift at 1am and got in at 2am. In order for her to get to work for the 8:30 meeting, she would have had to get up at 6.30. As things were going well (she's a good, hard worker and gets on well with everybody) she felt that she didn't need to attend.

Can Nando's withold her tips because of her not attending this meeting? I asked her how the tips are collected and she said most of them are cash payments left by customers to their waiters/waitresses. I thought that cash tips left for the server should go directly to the server unless the till is down, in which case the employer can use them to make up the balance?

She texted her boss last night to ask to see a copy of a contract today (she can't find her copy that she signed when she joined Nando's) and the boss is causing difficulties, saying that my housemate doesn't need to see her contract because there's nothing in there about tips, it's just something that Nando's do.

Can anyone offer her any help/advice? I feel like she's being taken advantage of because her English isn't the best and she's too gentle to cause a stink.
    Tags: None

Re: Nando's refusing to pay tips to worker

Sounds like the manager put her share in his pocket.

Get a copy of the contract. Contact head office HR if necessary. What is custom and practice there? I assume that she is not a member of a trade union.

I wonder what the security department at head office would make of this - after all, if he's fiddling that, then he is very probably fiddling the tills too ...

Comment

It also sounds like he is putting Nandos in breach of Working Time Regulations. Isn't there supposed to be an 11-hour gap between shifts? When would your flatmate's next shift have started after finishing at 1.00 am, excluding this staff meeting?
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        It also sounds like he is putting Nandos in breach of Working Time Regulations. Isn't there supposed to be an 11-hour gap between shifts? When would your flatmate's next shift have started after finishing at 1.00 am, excluding this staff meeting?
        The next shift would have been Monday, 10am.

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
        Sounds like the manager put her share in his pocket.

Get a copy of the contract. Contact head office HR if necessary. What is custom and practice there? I assume that she is not a member of a trade union.

I wonder what the security department at head office would make of this - after all, if he's fiddling that, then he is very probably fiddling the tills too ...
        Well she has received her tips in the past, despite not attending staff meetings. Not a member of a union, no. Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Does she work full-time or part-time? It seems that there is only a 9-hour gap between shifts.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

She could be working Nights one week and day time shift the next week BB. - Though it would help if the OP could provide us details of their flatmates shift patterns.

As for not paying her her share of tips, this could be victimization (Suffered a Financial Detriment).

Has your Flat Mate had any issues at work with this manager before, such as bullying, harassment, verbal abuse, or sex/racial discrimination? - Very important you tell us if she has!
            Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Hi folks,

Not sure about this.

Tips are 'gratuities' - I don't think that there is a 'right' to them.

The only right, as far as I know, is for remuneration as per the employment contract.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
              gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
                She could be working Nights one week and day time shift the next week BB. - Though it would help if the OP could provide us details of their flatmates shift patterns.

As for not paying her her share of tips, this could be victimization (Suffered a Financial Detriment).

Has your Flat Mate had any issues at work with this manager before, such as bullying, harassment, verbal abuse, or sex/racial discrimination? - Very important you tell us if she has!
                As far as I'm aware she works from 10-6pm on some days and 5pm-1am on others. Generally there doesn't seem to be an issue with her shift patterns.

She hasn't had any issues with this manager before, no. What makes it stranger is that in the past, she has received her tips despite not attending any of these staff meetings. She was informed that the meetings were more for the senior members, but open to waiters and waitresses nonetheless.

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                Hi folks,

Not sure about this.

Tips are 'gratuities' - I don't think that there is a 'right' to them.

The only right, as far as I know, is for remuneration as per the employment contract.
                I thought a difference was made regarding whether tips were left as cash payments to the server, or service charges added on to the end of a bill?

Comment

Have been reading up about this and had no idea how complicated (Byzantine) it is. Has anyone else even heard of a Troncmaster?

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/e24.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X