• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unfair dismissal with notice period?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair dismissal with notice period?

Hi - I have done some research and believe 'a person' requesting help from me, has been unfairly dismissed. Looking at the procedures used, or rather not used, I recommended an appeal. The company have refused the appeal and made life unbearable and the position is now untenable, although already in an alleged notice period. I believe that this will amount to constructive dismissal now that the person has been forced to withdraw totally and prior to end of notice time. That the appeal would and should have found in their favour but having brought the whole situation to the knowledge of all staff, even prior to their verbal dismissal, is in itself a breach. That the company is relying on statements made by other members of staff but refuses to disclose those details to the dismissed party. Sorry this is messy and gets worse but there is only so much I can post. Does anyone know a good lawyer/team that would be interested in helping to access a proper tribunal and pubic interest matter on pro bono basis?
    Tags: None

Re: Unfair dismissal with notice period?

Hi gwenlillian,

This serves to highlight the difficulty in assisting with employment disputes.
    Many posters couch the description of events in such a cryptic manner that it is nigh on impossible to comment.
    Don't get me wrong; I can fully appreciate the worry that the employer might see the post(s) & gain some kind of advantage.
    & there is always the issue of confidentiality when posting on behalf of someone else - you're often told not to 'give the game away'.
    Even so, it is worth mentioning that unfair constructive dismissal is a very hard claim to make - I believe that the burden of proof shifts from the employer to the employee (ie, your friend would have to prove that he/she was hounded out).
    The last statistic I saw, only about 3% of constructive dismissal claims were successful.
    In ordinary unfair dismissal claims, the burden is on the employer to show that the dismissal was legally permissible.
    The smart money usually says don't resign. (I can't make out whether your friend was dismissed or resigned, as you mention verbal dismissal, yet you also say that they had 'been forced to withdraw totally'.)

Ok, to answer your question, you could try http://www.barcouncil.org.uk/instruc...no-assistance/

NB - If it is really a Public Interest Disclosure (whistleblowing) matter, any dismissal would probably be automatically unfair.
    Some info here http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1919
    Last edited by charitynjw; 12th July 2013, 00:27:AM.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: Unfair dismissal with notice period?

Hi, thanks, I know what you mean. It is difficult, especially as it is not my personal situation. The info you have provided is very helpful. It is summary dismissal with a request to spend time training others? which doesn't seem the way to do it to me, neither one thing or another? I will use your links and pass contact info on to them. thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X