• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

So...wondering if I have a case here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So...wondering if I have a case here?

Ah!

I am pretty sure that the Employment Tribunal now has jurisdiction over virtually all employment matters, including breach of contract.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks Charity...would still dearly love to find out whether a breach of a settlement agreement is a breach of contract, or termed something else under Common Law?

Comment

My take on it is that if the dispute is over unpaid wages, holiday pay, etc., it would be classed as wrongful dismissal & so the jurisdiction of an ET.

Update

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2013/826.html

1. The judge held that Mrs. Monk's claim could not succeed because it fell within what has become known as the "Johnson exclusion area". He derived the following principles from the decided cases: (i) that damages cannot be recovered at common law for the consequences of the fact or manner of dismissal; (ii) that an employee retains the right to sue at common law for damages for breach of any obligation which exists independently of his right not to be wrongfully or unfairly dismissed; (iii) that the statutory provisions do not prevent a dismissed employee from recovering damages for a tort committed independently of the dismissal. Although the issue concerning the true date of dismissal had been raised in the course of argument below, no application to amend the particulars of claim had been made. The judge therefore decided the matter on the basis that Mrs. Monk had been dismissed on 10th July 2008, as alleged in her statement of case.

It would seem that, if the breach flows from, or is linked to, the dismissal, then the 'court' the ball must go to is the ET.
        Last edited by charitynjw; 12th July 2013, 12:42:PM.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

It wasn't dismissal, and from the above it seems that I can still use Common Law in the Courts to make my claim.

So what is that claim? A breached settlement agreement, is a breached contract, technically. Yay or nay?

Thanks Charity!

Comment

Ah I see...the Employment Tribunal IS the Court in the UK...

It seems a bit unfair. Court cases you have six years to have deal with, but employment cases 3 months?

Can I get an exception based on the fact that I knew nothing about this rule? It is not exactly common sense to think that there would be two different time limits fo such caes.

Comment

Technically, when a contract of employment ends, you are 'dismissed' from the obligations of that contract.

If there is a dispute which flows from that 'dismissal', it comes under the umbrella of 'wrongful' dismissal (withholding of pay, holidays etc) or unfair dismissal (the manner in which you were 'dismissed').

That's my understanding of it, anyway!

Complicated, isn't it :confused2:
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew2332 View Post
                Ah I see...the Employment Tribunal IS the Court in the UK...

It seems a bit unfair. Court cases you have six years to have deal with, but employment cases 3 months?

Can I get an exception based on the fact that I knew nothing about this rule? It is not exactly common sense to think that there would be two different time limits fo such caes.
                3 months minus one day.

Probably not - usually, Ignorantia juris non excusat (ignorance of the law is no defense.)
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Complicated is an understatement m8.

So could I get an exception if I was able to show I was out of the country from before the date the dispute arose (a month after the 'dismissal') and only returned a week before lodging the claim and requesting said exception?

Comment

And...why can't I go to Court for breach of agreement/contract after the 3 months are up? I have a right to justice.

And IS a breach of agreement a breach of verbal/oral contract? (see above)

Comment

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/resources/l...ut_of_time.cfm

"Please note however that the onus is on Ms X to convince the tribunal that it is just and equitable to extend time and 'the exercise of discretion is the exception rather than the rule' (Robertson v Bexley Community Centre [2003] EWCA Civ 567).

"The following is a non-exhaustive list of factors which may prove helpful in assessing individual cases

i) The presence or absence of any prejudice to the respondent if the claim is allowed to proceed (other than the prejudice involved in having to defend proceedings);

ii) The presence or absence of any other remedy for the applicant if the claim is not allowed to proceed;

iii) The conduct of the respondent subsequent to the act of which the complaint I made up to the date of the application;

iv) The conduct of the applicant over the same period;

v) The length of time by which the application is out of time;

vi) The medical condition of the applicant, taking into account, in particular, any reason why this should have prevented or inhibited the making of a claim;

vii) The extent to which professional advice on making a claim was sought and, if it was sought the content of any advice given;

viii) The presence or absence of ongoing internal grievance procedures."
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Section 111 of the ERA 1996 provides:
                        (1) A complaint may be presented to an employment tribunal against an employer by any person
                        that he was unfairly dismissed by the employer.
                        (2) Subject to subsection (3), an employment tribunal shall not consider a complaint under this
                        section unless it is presented to the tribunal—
                        (a) before the end of the period of three months beginning with the effective date of termination,
                        or
                        (b) within such further period as the tribunal considers reasonable in a case where it is satisfied
                        that it was not reasonably practicable for the complaint to be presented before the end of that period
                        of three months.

'Reasonable' is discussed here http://www.turbervilles.co.uk/assets...m%E2%80%A6.pdf
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Thank you thank you thank you...just speaking to an employment solicitor, breach of contract can be dealt with in Small Claims, as is a bit different from unfair dismissal, etc...advised to get an employment tribunal claim in before July 29th though, as fees start being charged from this date...all useful stuff!

Comment

Well done, Andrew!

Another little 'nugget' to add to the knowledge bank.

& that's what, in my opinion, these forums are all about; kicking things around a bit & eventually 'stumbling' across the truth.

Thanks for posting this up - it helps everyone else.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X