• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help,windows 8 users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help,windows 8 users

Is there anyone here who has windows 8 and understands it, please, had to have it as my old laptop had coffee spilt on it, I was insured but all the new laptops have windows 8 installed, I don't like it, but for what I use a computer for ,I can manage it, EXCEPT where have my pictures gone, they seem to disappear after first checking them, Also windows updates all the time ,and when it does you have to start from scratch pinning your favourite, programmes to the taskbarI just want to find out how to get my pics back Thank you in anticipation
    Tags: None

Re: Help,windows 8 users

Hmmm - unfortunately I can't help because that shouldn't be happening and it isn't happening with mine! If you used a very old version previously, have you worked through the tutorials? There isn't loads of difference between one version and the next - but a huge difference if you go from a long ago version to the newest.

Comment

Google your enquiry. There's no end of dedicated computer forums where this will have been answered.

Windows 8 is garbage. Better to get rid of it and install Windows 7 Professional.

Comment

Thank you, I just had windows 7 before, my last laptop was only 18 months old, I think there is a different way of storing pictures on here, I was told I could but a windows 7 to be installed but would cost £129 , unless I can find someone who knows another way, thanks anyway

Comment

First thing you want to get is Start8 - I have Windows 8 and with Start8 you will get "back" the Windows 7 stuff, access etc... it costs like £5 after trial, but it is worth it. It made Win8 useful again (to a degree where it's tolerable.)

Second thing, google the disabling of the charms... (the annoying left side right side stuff when you move the cursor) this is only possible in the registry, sorry I didn't keep the registry entry file

Then remove the apps and their access to your stuff - e.g. if you don't disable, your windows 8 home screen will literally dig into your email to pull up randomly any pictures you have sent (it picked up my report of damages in my flat - nonsense)

Let me think of others.... I will come back to add more. EDIT: I couldn't think of much more... it's a huge letdown, Win8. My recommendation is forget the Skype app, Amazon etc, get a 3rd party browser like Firefox and once you have Start8, download Skype for Win7 desktop (it does work) because Skype app allows only one account and that it merges with your email. amazon aapp, bing app are useless (haven't tried the rest of the apps similar to them) because once you neter a search, they open in IE and there's no 'back' button.

I also have stuff like VLC player - the video player app doesn't play half the files and those it does play, it is somewhat annoying - same for music. I use 3rd party stuff, iTunes. MS Outlook is the worst as basic features are excluded from the app - I stopped using - don't let Microsoft merge your hotmail if you use hotmail.. they won't let you revert tho the online 'Outlook' is tiny bit better than the app, it's still nonsense. If this already happened, disable any access to social media accounts: I was in the midst of interviews for jobs when I realised how the Hotmail retrieved an old profile picture: it accessed my old twitter account I no longer used and "showcased" the material... with potential employers.
          Beware that when you send email, both app and web sometimes decides not to close the editing window - you'll end up sending twice the same.

High CPU usage - most hardware cannot handle Win8 I am told, mine certainly can't (HP Pavilion dm1) but hey, it was indeed cheap.

Another thing I recommend is adwcleaner - in case you use something like free antivirus programs (lavasoft etc) they make annoying reg entries - lavasoft changes your search engine and it's impossible to remove - and the Adwcleaner did resolve these issues a handful of times for me.

I would also recommend disabling of the access to your location to those apps, and other things that in my opinion are completely damaging your privacy and make you an easy target for scams and fraudulent activites - but I am paranoid about these so I may take this too far.

Good luck with using it - I aask myself every second week why I haven't 'downgraded' yet: I keep answering I am lazy plus I like that my login screen is personalised. there's nothing else to like about it, seriously. (Sorry for being so negative tho!)
          Last edited by QueenAnne; 30th June 2013, 22:02:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by QueenAnne View Post
            First thing you want to get is Start8 - I have Windows 8 and with Start8 you will get "back" the Windows 7 stuff, access etc... it costs like £5 after trial, but it is worth it. It made Win8 useful again (to a degree where it's tolerable.)

Second thing, google the disabling of the charms... (the annoying left side right side stuff when you move the cursor) this is only possible in the registry, sorry I didn't keep the registry entry file

Then remove the apps and their access to your stuff - e.g. if you don't disable, your windows 8 home screen will literally dig into your email to pull up randomly any pictures you have sent (it picked up my report of damages in my flat - nonsense)

Let me think of others.... I will come back to add more. EDIT: I couldn't think of much more... it's a huge letdown, Win8. My recommendation is forget the Skype app, Amazon etc, get a 3rd party browser like Firefox and once you have Start8, download Skype for Win7 desktop (it does work) because Skype app allows only one account and that it merges with your email. amazon aapp, bing app are useless (haven't tried the rest of the apps similar to them) because once you neter a search, they open in IE and there's no 'back' button.

I also have stuff like VLC player - the video player app doesn't play half the files and those it does play, it is somewhat annoying - same for music. I use 3rd party stuff, iTunes. MS Outlook is the worst as basic features are excluded from the app - I stopped using - don't let Microsoft merge your hotmail if you use hotmail.. they won't let you revert tho the online 'Outlook' is tiny bit better than the app, it's still nonsense. If this already happened, disable any access to social media accounts: I was in the midst of interviews for jobs when I realised how the Hotmail retrieved an old profile picture: it accessed my old twitter account I no longer used and "showcased" the material... with potential employers.
            Beware that when you send email, both app and web sometimes decides not to close the editing window - you'll end up sending twice the same.

High CPU usage - most hardware cannot handle Win8 I am told, mine certainly can't (HP Pavilion dm1) but hey, it was indeed cheap.

Another thing I recommend is adwcleaner - in case you use something like free antivirus programs (lavasoft etc) they make annoying reg entries - lavasoft changes your search engine and it's impossible to remove - and the Adwcleaner did resolve these issues a handful of times for me.

I would also recommend disabling of the access to your location to those apps, and other things that in my opinion are completely damaging your privacy and make you an easy target for scams and fraudulent activites - but I am paranoid about these so I may take this too far.

Good luck with using it - I aask myself every second week why I haven't 'downgraded' yet: I keep answering I am lazy plus I like that my login screen is personalised. there's nothing else to like about it, seriously. (Sorry for being so negative tho!)
            Thank you, do I download this start8, I did download windows live essentials, and got all my photo,s back, but today they have disappeared again, so frustrating, I need to put an ad on, and need a pic, with it, I can just about manage the other stuff on here for my needs, but the photo;s going are annoying, I looked at the tutorials, still didn't work, did come up with "import" I think I will just try to get windows 7 back,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X