• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Claiming a derelict Garage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claiming a derelict Garage

Behind my flat on common ground there are 8 or 9 garages. Some are in use but about 4 have not been used for years. Some are in a state of total disrepair but one or two are still fixable. I have known these to have been empty for last 8 years, probably longer.

Is there any way I can go and padlock one and make a claim to it and fix it up for use ?
    Tags: None

Re: Claiming a derelict Garage

For use as a holiday home?

(Didn't Mr Flange originally state the garages are in Wales?)
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 25th June 2013, 23:39:PM. Reason: Adding explanation

Comment

I think that you have to use land for 12 years before it can be claimed as your own, not sure about buildings though. Someone with more knowledge will pop along I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
        I think that you have to use land for 12 years before it can be claimed as your own, not sure about buildings though. Someone with more knowledge will pop along I am sure.
        That is true for Adverse Possession but it is - predictably - more complicated (link).

One should also bear in mind that there are few examples of common land on which buildings have been erected. That there are garages on that land does rather suggest that someone already claims to own the land, though one may equally take the view that someone is owned by that land.

Comment

All the garages seem to be self build. Its a bit of left over ground that can't be used for anything else. Sort of odd shape between to housing areas.

Comment

Nevertheless, that land does belong to someone.

Your first step should be to learn to whom it does belong.

Comment

OK where would I find that out ?

Comment

Originally posted by MontagueFlange View Post
                OK where would I find that out ?
                First look here ---> link

Comment

Behind my flat on common ground there are 8 or 9 garages. Some are in use but about 4 have not been used for years. Some are in a state of total disrepair but one or two are still fixable. I have known these to have been empty for last 8 years, probably longer.
                  If you live in a flat it will be a leasehold and there will be a freeholder who will probably own the garages. Why not ask the freeholder to clarify the position first.

It's possible that he is leaving them empty on purpose with the intention of developing the plot (or selling the plot to a developer) at a later stage and he'll need to have vacant possession of the garages to do that.

He may be willing to grant you a licence on one of the garages in the meantime. If you seize one without the freeholder's permission it could be viewed as trespass

Comment

The ground is nothing to do with the flats I live in. Its behind the fence and a few yards away

Comment

The land probably is owned by someone try to find out who and if you can buy it before you try to obtain it after all if it was yours would you be happy to see someone steal it???

Comment

The ground is nothing to do with the flats I live in. Its behind the fence and a few yards away
                        Who owns the fence you would - presumably - have to remove or break down?

Or did the fence just grow there?

Comment

No the fence is at the back of the housing association property I live in. The ground is behind that between some council houses and a road. The council will take no responsibility for the land. I have found that much out. They will cut the grass on the other side but say they have nothing to do with it. Theres a lot of left over patches of ground around here due t the structure of the hill sides and such

http://goo.gl/maps/RkvEj

Comment

There is a Land Registry entry entitled:
                            Land at Rhydybont
                            Penparcau
                            Aberystwyth

which may or may not be the land in question. Copy of the Title register costs £3

Comment

Asking the user of the new garage would, of course, be even cheaper.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X