• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Finance chasing me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Finance chasing me

Hi, Newbie here so apologies for any mistakes.
    I had a debt about 10 years ago for about £360 which was from a previous marriage which I was chased for by Lowell Portfolio about 4 years ago. I sent them the recommended letters with a £1 PO to prove the debt and my original contract, which the did albeit a rather shifty looking computer generated copy (that wasn't even printed straight) and a further demand for the said amount. I had moved about 2 years since the letters and only found after checking my credit report that I now have a CCJ issued November 2011 which I had no knowledge of. I am now getting letters from Lowell Finance requesting payment of debt (same amount as CCJ) not sure what to do really. Any help will be grateful.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell Finance chasing me

Hi + to LegalBeagles...someone will be able to help you...just bear with us as it's Sunday hours lol

Comment

Looking at the dates the original debt could have been statute barred (6 years). You may need to come up with some actual dates if you can. Have you made any payments at all?

Someone will be along to fill in the details but will need the above info

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
        Looking at the dates the original debt could have been statute barred (6 years). You may need to come up with some actual dates if you can. Have you made any payments at all?

Someone will be along to fill in the details but will need the above info
        Thanks for the prompt reply, I will have to go through my archived paperwork which is up in my loft to get exact dates but I haven't made a payment to Cap1 (original debt) since about 2005. Can the CCJ still be made SB after all this time? I didn't even now it had gone to court because I had moved and hadn't heard anything from Lowells.

Comment

The CCJ won't be SB, but depending on the circumstances and dates you may have grounds to have the CCJ set aside. If you manage that, and the debt was SB when they took action in 2011, then that would be a defence against any further action.

As said, you will have to have a look at the dates and what you wrote.

A CCA request itself should not constitute acknowledgement of the debt, unless it was very very unusually worded.

Comment

Ok thanks I'll see what I can find date wise. Can't remember if I said in my earlier post but they got a CCJ for £360 against me and are still chasing me for money that I haven't admitted to; can they do that?

Comment

Originally posted by chil View Post
              Ok thanks I'll see what I can find date wise. Can't remember if I said in my earlier post but they got a CCJ for £360 against me and are still chasing me for money that I haven't admitted to; can they do that?
              Indeed they can - what astounds me is that they've not (yet) tried to set bailiffs onto you.

Your first task will be to check the date of your last genuine payment towards the alleged debt or of your last written acknowledgement thereof; you will need that date when you apply for the CCJ to be set aside, as the court is unlikely to do that unless there is a reasonable prospect of the claim being defended.

Comment

Well I have dug out all my old paperwork and found that Lowell's sent me a copy of my original Cap1 agreement and everything that I spent on the card. The letter is dated 28/04/2011 which is 7 months before my CCJ was applied. I want to try and pay it off as it is £360 but can't afford it in one lump and from what I have heard on Google Lowells try to stitch people up for more money.

Comment

Careful about paying!! You may not have to pay anything at all.

If nothing had been paid for 6 years or more and you have not acknowledged the debt either it is, in all probability, statute barred and you may be able to get the CCJ set aside and then you will not have to pay anything and Lowells can go whistle.

Comment

[QUOTE=ostell;351539]Careful about paying!! You may not have to pay anything at all.
                    That would be great but I will need to check some more paperwork as I was paying £1 a month to Cap1 until they sold it but I have never acknowledged it even after Lowell provided my original agreement. Will I still be able to get it set aside though even after all this time? I just don't want to have bailiffs knocking at my door as I have a new life and am up to date with all my monthly outgoings and I don't want this upsetting the applecart.

Comment

Just found some more paperwork and the last 'token' payment I made to Cap1 was on 14/02/11 not sure if this helps or affects things.

Comment

Originally posted by chil View Post
                        Just found some more paperwork and the last 'token' payment I made to Cap1 was on 14/02/11 not sure if this helps or affects things.
                        It certainly does not help, as it means the debt was not statute barred at the time you were sued.

On the other hand, you may still be able to get the judgement set aside merely on the grounds of non-service of the summons and, if/when that happens, you can then pay off the debt in full.

Comment

Hmmm, ok thanks. I'm not really sure what to do as I wouldn't be able to pay it off in one go would hope to pay in instalments.

Comment

Hi chil,

This is the Lowell Group - http://www.lowell.co.uk/who-is-lowell-group.aspx - of which Lowell Financial Ltd are a part.

They sign up to a Code of Practice - http://www.lowell.co.uk/CSADBSGCodeOfPractice.pdf

The Office of Fair Trading has also issued guidelines - http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/con...it/oft1299.pdf

You can get free help & advice from various debt advisory services - https://www.gov.uk/options-for-payin...debts/overview

& only ever deal with Lowells in writing (keep a copy of any letter you send, & get proof of postage, or use email)

& of course, we are here to help as well - keep posting & let us know how it's going, or if you need further assistance.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                            gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thank you for all the advice, I'm going to have a look through some of the links and try to make a decision of where to go next.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X