• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

social network comment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• social network comment

Hi all I'm probably being a pain in the Arse now but one of the directors of the company who I work for had posted a comment on Facebook obviously aimed at my wife and I just wondered what I could say to him out of work if anything that wouldn't come back to me at work. It is a statement between two of the directors at work and one then says "steady on or I will report you for harassment ha ha ha" she is just coming to the end of her sexual harassment claim against one of the aforementioned directors and it appears they are finding it funny. I'm mad as hell. Please help. I work for the same company.
    Tags: None

Re: social network comment

You should do and say nothing about it.

A print-out of the comment, though, may prove useful to your wife's claim.

You should also get your CV in order and start looking for another job, as one or other of those puerile pillocks may seek to make your job there untenable even if they don't sack you for some trumped-up reason.

Comment

Originally posted by wig77 View Post
      Hi all I'm probably being a pain in the Arse now but one of the directors of the company who I work for had posted a comment on Facebook obviously aimed at my wife and I just wondered what I could say to him out of work if anything that wouldn't come back to me at work. It is a statement between two of the directors at work and one then says "steady on or I will report you for harassment ha ha ha" she is just coming to the end of her sexual harassment claim against one of the aforementioned directors and it appears they are finding it funny. I'm mad as hell. Please help. I work for the same company.
      In relation to the comment you quote here, I see no reference to your wife nor any comment about her. What you suggest is "obviously aimed" at your wife is only obvious to you - and that is what the law will tell you.

There is nothing that you can or should do, inside or outside work that won't come back at you.

Bearing in mind the history and circumstances here, the fact that you have already lost your job there in all but the "signing on the dotted line" sense (and you forgot to mention in previous posts prior to your redundancy thread that you were also a director of the company you were posting about - that information was relevant); and, unfortunately, the high possibility that your wife will be following you out of the door soon, "family" business or not, I really do think that the best thing to do now is to stop escalating a family row and for everyone to calm down. Not that I expect you pay any more regard to that suggestion than anyone has the last several times I tried to suggest it. I regret that I did not think to check out your previous posts before responding to your other thread this week. It would not have changed any of my advice (although it would have demonstrated how easy it would be for the other directors to remove you from a directorship), but do you not see where the events of the past several months have led you to? This is little short of a tragedy for everyone - and getting worse as time goes on.

Comment

Employment issues aside, from a purely social networking perspective, it is possible to report comments to Facebook just like you can report posts on forums. A comment like that could be seen both as a harmless joke or a threat, depending on context and history. :decision:

When a FB 'friend of a friend' posted a threat to me on my FB friend's wall (he's obviously not my FB friend so couldn't post on mine, but I had just posted a comment on my friend's wall), I reported the comment to FB, and the post vanished swiftly. :thumb:

Comment

It's quite possible that the post on Facebook was a thinly veiled jibe at you +your wife,,but you can't prove it,and it can disappear as quick as it appeared.
          I quite often end up refereeing between the younger members of my huge family on there because one has taken umbrage at something another one has posted,and the one who posted didn't mean it to look like it did etc etc
          In your situation I really wouldn't bring it up,,it will only fan the flames that are already burning strongly.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
            It's quite possible that the post on Facebook was a thinly veiled jibe at you +your wife,,but you can't prove it,and it can disappear as quick as it appeared.
            I quite often end up refereeing between the younger members of my huge family on there because one has taken umbrage at something another one has posted,and the one who posted didn't mean it to look like it did etc etc
            In your situation I really wouldn't bring it up,,it will only fan the flames that are already burning strongly.
            I think I would concur. I have no doubt it's a thinly veiled jibe - but it is actually sufficiently veiled to not say anything! The only person who ends up in hot water trying to make something out of this is the OP. Looking at how this series of posts has developed over the past six months, I think there is sufficient "hot water" and very little likelihood of any "oil" on them any time soon. This situation has gone from a family disagreement about a family business to threatening peoples livelihoods. I doubt it will be soon mended, if ever. I hope that it was worth it, because all I can see here is a tragedy. And one that is likely to get worse.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X