• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

should i just take redundancy package

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should i just take redundancy package

Hi im a director and shareholder of a company and to put a long story short they want to make me redundant and have offered me £10000 and told me to accept it within 7 days or i receive just my statutory 10 weeks pay which equates to just under £3000. I feel it should be nearer the £25000 mark because of the hard work i have put in over the last 10 years and because of the 5% shares i have in the company.

Where do i stand in making a counter offer saying that i will not accept the £10000 but instead will go for £20000???

any advice appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: should i just take redundancy package

Originally posted by wig77 View Post
    Hi im a director and shareholder of a company and to put a long story short they want to make me redundant and have offered me £10000 and told me to accept it within 7 days or i receive just my statutory 10 weeks pay which equates to just under £3000. I feel it should be nearer the £25000 mark because of the hard work i have put in over the last 10 years and because of the 5% shares i have in the company.

Where do i stand in making a counter offer saying that i will not accept the £10000 but instead will go for £20000???

any advice appreciated
    Wig, what you have done for the company is irrelevant, I'm afraid. 10k is a good settlement but is that redundancy plus your shares?
    Does the company trade on the stock market? If they do would 10K be reasonable(ie are the shares worth 7k on top of the statutory redundancy package)?

Eloise will be along soon but I doubt you are legally entitled to counter offer a redundancy package.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

no they dont trade on the stock market, and they dont even mention my shares in the package they offered im just presuming they want me to give them up too

Comment

no they dont trade on the stock market, and they dont even mention my shares in the package they offered im just presuming they want me to give them up too
        Ask about the shares issue but 10K is a good package if it's without the shares, imho.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

how much are the shares worth?

Comment

thanks for the replies leclerc my dad is saying just forget about the shares because they are not worth anything unless someone wants to buy them but i think differently and i should try and keep them surely or get a bigger package.
            the company has to be worth £500,000 at least so thats £25000 shares id settle for £20,000. Seems fair to me

Comment

What the company is worth is irrelevant to the worth of the shares. Your father is quite correct - shares are worth what someone will pay for them. Can you sell them for £7k on the open market (the difference between what they are prepared to offer you and what you will get in seven days if you don't agree)? No? Then they aren't worth £7k., never mind £25,000.

You can try to negotiate what you like, but the clock is ticking and there is nothing to stop them taking the offer of £10k off the table right now - they are not legally bound to keep an offer open for seven days, no matter what they said.

Comment

thanks for the replies everyone looks like im taking the £10000.

Comment

any advice appreciated
                  Hello wig77

I see this slightly differentlly from the advice above but stand to be corrected!

There are three separate issues here (as I see it)

- your employment and entitlement to statutory redundancy pay

- your position as "Director" (ie office holder) which does not necessarily correlate with employment

- your equity in the company

In your position I would regard the 10K as being either

-(my first choice) an enhanced redundancy package

or

- statutory redundancy pay plus an honorarium in recognition of your retirement as director (if you intend so to do)

your equity in the company is a separate issue IMHO.

In your position I would take the 10 Gs subject to the above - ie negotiate over your directorship if you want it and negotiate your equity separately.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                    Hello wig77

I see this slightly differentlly from the advice above but stand to be corrected!

There are three separate issues here (as I see it)

- your employment and entitlement to statutory redundancy pay

- your position as "Director" (ie office holder) which does not necessarily correlate with employment

- your equity in the company

In your position I would regard the 10K as being either

-(my first choice) an enhanced redundancy package

or

- statutory redundancy pay plus an honorarium in recognition of your retirement as director (if you intend so to do)

your equity in the company is a separate issue IMHO.

In your position I would take the 10 Gs subject to the above - ie negotiate over your directorship if you want it and negotiate your equity separately.
                    I agree entirely. So - - the employer can give you statutory redundancy of less than £3k since, as an employee you are entitled to nothing more. Hold a meeting of directors /shareholders in accordance with the company procedures and have you removed as a director for no cost. And leave you with worthless shares that you cannot sell. But it's certainly another option...

Comment

Ps - what you "regard" the package as, in terms of this advice above, is irrelevant. The package is what it is - you can't decide to regard it as something else. The £10k has been offered with specific terms - your employment and directorship. Your choices are take it, or haggle with the risk you lose the enhancement.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X