• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vodafone charging me £1300 after phone was stolen!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vodafone charging me £1300 after phone was stolen!!

If there was a PCSO?
    Thats the question surely nothing in this makes sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
      If there was a PCSO?
      Thats the question surely nothing in this makes sense to me
      It all makes perfect sense to me

The OP has described his encounter with the PCSO in an earlier post. Are you suggesting he was making that up because that wouldn't be very nice :nono:

Comment

Planb
        The OP has described a lot but not much makes sense,if they phoned Vodaphone from a public phone they would i would think remember where the phone box was after all this phone is not a 10 quid cheapie so any normal person should remember more detail?i have to wonder why a multibillion pound company like Xodaphone would not have a record of the call,after all if the security process had been completed the representitive would have logged onto the account ,this would be recorded,why would Vodaphone delete all this makes no sense at all. I look at threads like this as if i was investigating them and try to get answers to questions,as i said before it all does not add up what we have is the OP against Vodaphone a tough fight i would sincerley hope he gets the result he wants a SAR to vodaphone may as i said before tell all or might deepen the mystery

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
          Just a belated thank you to Lee for coming in on this one, forgot to say it earlier honey
          Much appreciated, and thanks for responding to my PM so quickly
          Puff, you are a real star!
          I have done as Lee requested and filled in the contact form - now waiting for a reply with the reference number.

The PCSO was both friendly and sympathetic and I understood completely his point. My girlfriend was mugged not long ago (thrown to the floor by 3 laughing youths) and her phone stolen. The police the dealt with it were fantastic but this was Hackney! They drove her around the areas where they know is crime-infested but there is little they can do. You really have to know the area to truly understand - you hear sirens all day and the police are under so much pressure with the crime in the area - far more serious than a stolen phone. I do not take losing an iphone casually, believe me, but once it is gone you simply have to accept it as part and parcel of the area. There are some wonderful people that live and work in Hackney but they cut a path through the worst scumbags you can imagine. I worked in that office (will call it a shop as that is what it was originally) and every time I had to leave the door open for air when cutting wood, I had to literally barricade it as you cant turn your back for a moment.
          I accept fully that I made mistakes but it was done in ignorance. Yes, I should have reported it stolen. Yes, I should have asked for some kind of reference or name when I called Vodafone. Yes, I should have taken the number of the phone I called from. Yes, I should have kept my phone in my pocket at all times.
          Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I take full responsibility for the phone being gone as this was my fault completely (not the police or Vodafone). My issue is in the calls made afterwards. When I first wrote this post, I cringed as I knew what I was writing sounded implausible. I do really appreciate the support of those that have experience with the area as they will understand that my actions were not as stupid as they may sound.

Comment

Hi Lee,
            The only reference number is that in the subject heading -
            Re: WRT135 - FAO Lee [#11585473]

I hope this is what you needed. I really do appreciate any help you can offer :-)
            SB

Comment

Walesman
              It is quite probable that Vodafone do not record all phone calls. In the past I have been lied to, misinformed and generally given the run around. On one occasion I was even hung up on (and no I wasn't rude). When I complained they said they could find no record of my call as the operator had deleted any notes.
              I know I may have done it at the start but this is a forum designed to help people and telling someone that their story does not add up really is of no help. Not everyone, myself included can remember a coherent timeline of what was said and what happened two or three months ago.
              All we can do is to offer help where we can

Comment

I cant beleive phone calls are not recorded ?im positive that when an account is accessed on the Vodaphone computers this is logged it must be to cover Vodaphone also is it a DPA requirement,as i have stated before it all dont add up but i support the OP in trying to sort it and get the bill reduced,we can only guess what has happened but as there is no real evidence we will all draw our own conclusions

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
                  Walesman
                  It is quite probable that Vodafone do not record all phone calls. In the past I have been lied to, misinformed and generally given the run around. On one occasion I was even hung up on (and no I wasn't rude). When I complained they said they could find no record of my call as the operator had deleted any notes.
                  I know I may have done it at the start but this is a forum designed to help people and telling someone that their story does not add up really is of no help. Not everyone, myself included can remember a coherent timeline of what was said and what happened two or three months ago.
                  All we can do is to offer help where we can
                  thank you Jon. I do appreciate what you wrote as I find myself defending my actions which with hindsight I would have done completely differently. I was working in an empty shop on my own mostly, converting it to an office. Working solo meant my phone was my lifeline, and when it was stolen I was so angry - both with myself and the lowlife that took it. I was phoneless for 2 days as I had to be there all day for deliveries, popping out and using street pay phones wherever i could find a working one throughout the day until I was able to take the time off to get a temp phone. If I went back there I could probably/possibly walk the streets and find the probable phones I used during those 2 days.
                  For those that still find it hard to believe what I say (and I do fully understand this) I only ask that you think back to something stupid that you did yourself - so ridiculous that others would find it hard to believe.
                  Best
                  SB

Comment

I cant beleive phone calls are not recorded ?im positive that when an account is accessed on the Vodaphone computers this is logged it must be to cover Vodaphone also is it a DPA requirement,as i have stated before it all dont add up but i support the OP in trying to sort it and get the bill reduced,we can only guess what has happened but as there is no real evidence we will all draw our own conclusions
                    Even if phone calls are recorded Vodafone may not be able to trace or listen to all of them. I'm with O2 which told me that they couldn't listen to my call because I had dialled from a *Number Withheld* which frustrated their retrieval system. That's quite common.

The most obvious rhetorical question is if the OP doesn't know anyone living in Romania why on earth would he ring the country and talk for several hours when phone records show he's never called Romania before :doh: Of course he's telling the truth.

Comment

• Re: Vodafone charging me £1300 after phone was stolen!!

Originally posted by sonnyboy View Post
                      Hi Lee,
                      The only reference number is that in the subject heading -
                      Re: WRT135 - FAO Lee [#11585473]

I hope this is what you needed. I really do appreciate any help you can offer :-)
                      SB
                      Hi SB,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've received your email and will get back to you as soon as I can.

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                      Lee,,Can I just say,,the whole sorry saga is so 'out there' I cannot see anyone even imagining it let alone forming it as a cunning plan so anything you can pull out of the bag will be great
                      Hi Inca,

It's always good to be able to bring about a positive outcome where possible.

However, as mentioned yesterday, I can make no guarantees but I'll certainly look into SB's case as thoroughly as possible.

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
                      Just a belated thank you to Lee for coming in on this one, forgot to say it earlier honey
                      Much appreciated, and thanks for responding to my PM so quickly
                      You're welcome Puff.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations

Vodafone UK
                      I am an official company representative of Vodafone UK.

LegalBeagles has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help resolve issues.

This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by LegalBEAGLES.

Comment

However, as mentioned yesterday, I can make no guarantees but I'll certainly look into SB's case as thoroughly as possible.

and thats all anyone can ask of you

Comment

the OP might have let someone make a call on his phone not knowing it was to romania unless we know where everone he knows was on the day of the calls how can we say truth or not,I have an pen mind on all of this i cannot say for sure whats the truth How can anyone ,there needs be be something more than we are being told,there must be a record of call or computer log >lets hope Lee from Vodaphone can help here

Comment

After working in a call centre myself for a few months, while calls may not be physically recorded, I too am surprised there is no record of it. We had to record every contact with screen notes. Having said that, I know at times when things were incredibly busy, or if you just hit the wrong CSO, things did go wrong and no record was made.

As regards the DPA, these are the three of the eight underlying principles which would, IMO, mainly apply in this case:

3. Adequate, relevant and not excessive.
                            4. Accurate and up to date.
                            5. Not kept any longer than necessary.

It's not hard to argue either way that there should be a computer note about the call or that there shouldn't. In my view, there should, but as I said, things do go wrong. If things have gone wrong, then the customer should receive a degree of compensation.

Equally, there is always an onus on the customer to keep certain relevant records themselves in these situations, and those are failing up until the call on the 15th in this case.

The sudden tendency to call abroad should, again IMO, go heavily in the OP's favour.

Comment

the OP might have let someone make a call on his phone not knowing it was to romania unless we know where everone he knows was on the day of the calls how can we say truth or not,I have an pen mind on all of this i cannot say for sure whats the truth How can anyone ,there needs be be something more than we are being told,there must be a record of call or computer log >lets hope Lee from Vodaphone can help here
                              I realise you are on the fence with the whole situation, but I can only say what happened whether this sounds right to you or not. The Romanian calls were consistent throughout the period of the 13th-21st March (very heavy usage every day, not just one call). This includes the 15th March when I was in carphone warehouse speaking to Vodafone. Vodafone have that call on record, and so there is a good chance (havent been lucky in this situation so far but you never know!!) that at the time recorded of that call between myself and vodafone, my stolen phone was speaking to Romania.
                              Last edited by sonnyboy; 17th June 2013, 10:51:AM. Reason: adding detail

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboy View Post
                                The Romanian calls were consistent throughout the period of the 13th-21st March (very heavy usage every day, not just one call). This includes the 15th March when I was in carphone warehouse speaking to Vodafone. Vodafone have that call on record, and so there is a good chance (havent been lucky in this situation so far but you never know!!) that at the time recorded of that call between myself and vodafone, my stolen phone was speaking to Romania.
                                There's also the possibility that your stolen iphone was in one place (in the pocket of whoever bought it for £20 ) while your *SIM* card was talking to Romania from another unlocked handset which would have a different IMEI number. That's the normal pattern with stolen phones.

I have no idea whether Vodafone can cross-check the IMEI number relating to the calls made to Romania - I certainly know MI5 can :spy: They can also trace where (geographically speaking) the SIM and handset were at the time of the call. Because if those calls weren't made from your handset then it may not have been you. The balance of probabilities kicks in at that point even in the absence of hard evidence.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X