• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vodafone charging me £1300 after phone was stolen!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vodafone charging me £1300 after phone was stolen!!

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
    I'm not confused even if you are, and I believe every word you've said so far My daughter lives in Hackney and she's on to her third iphone in less than a year. The handsets are generally exchanged for drugs within minutes of being stolen. The police have given up on helping with "petty crime" when stabbings and shootings occur in Hackney on an almost daily basis. They've got their hands full :mod:

I'm not surprised the police failed to help you.
    Very true, they wouldn't bother attempting to find the thief, but a report could still be filed at a local police station. I don't think my friend, who had the iPhone stolen in the middle of the night in slightly more "respectable" North Finchley, would have reported the theft to a passing policeman, I think he went to the police station the next morning. :mod: :mod: :mod:

When the OP mentioned Central London, I pictured the City or West End rather than Hackney.

I knew some people who used to live in Hackney, but they didn't stay long, moved over 20 years ago!

Comment

Give me remoteness and countryside any day of the week! lol

Comment

Got caught up in police nabbing a car thief yesterday...it's so quiet round here I expect the car was stolen,driven,nabbed and returned to owner within 20 minutes lol

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
          Give me remoteness and countryside any day of the week! lol
          Same here, only you have problems getting a signal, like this lunchtime when I got cut off around 10 times whilst trying to have a chat on my phone, and I wasn't exactly in 'remote countryside'. At home, mobile signal is only good to send the odd txt but not to have a conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
            Same here, only you have problems getting a signal, like this lunchtime when I got cut off around 10 times whilst trying to have a chat on my phone, and I wasn't exactly in 'remote countryside'. At home, mobile signal is only good to send the odd txt but not to have a conversation.
            But at least you're safe from mobile phone thieves calling Romania msl:

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
              Since when was £160 pocket change? (I do know people to whom it would be)

Much as I respect you Eloise I think that comment shows a little lack of thought on a forum that deals with a lot of people in significant debt
              That is a complete overreaction and shows a "lack of thought" of similar vein to that I am accused of. Yes there are people on this site (and just about any site you may care to mention) who are in debt. But the forum has one aspect which is debt - it is not exclusively dedicated to debt, is not all about debt, and there are also an awful lot of people who are not in debt on it. I know people on benefits who have two or three iPads in the household - that's a lot of money to spend on an unnecessary item on a low income, but way to go if that is their choice. I am not going to apologise or change my behaviour simply because I am not in debt and because yes, I can easily afford £160. £160 is certainly pocket change compared to the £400 - £500 cost of a new iPad - which lots of people with less disposable income than I have buy. For your information, yes, I can also easily afford the cost of the iPad, but I would, despite being able to afford it, be consdierably more pissed off if it was stolen.

I will also not be avoiding mentioning where I go on holiday or what car a drive, or anything else, for fear of upsetting the sensibilities of anyone who can't afford one. I certainly don't brag about such things. And there are people much better off than me (and much worse off. I was making a point about the relative values of things that you could "afford to lose". And I do not need you to decide what I can and cannot think or say.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                Yes there are people on this site (and just about any site you may care to mention) who are in debt. But the forum has one aspect which is debt - it is not exclusively dedicated to debt, is not all about debt, and there are also an awful lot of people who are not in debt on it.
                That's very true, I think the issue here is that some people came from a site dedicated to debt almost exclusively, and are used to being there. That includes me -although I've been banned since last year- and a few others who still post on both sites.

I know people on benefits who have two or three iPads in the household - that's a lot of money to spend on an unnecessary item on a low income, but way to go if that is their choice. I am not going to apologise or change my behaviour simply because I am not in debt and because yes, I can easily afford £160. £160 is certainly pocket change compared to the £400 - £500 cost of a new iPad - which lots of people with less disposable income than I have buy. For your information, yes, I can also easily afford the cost of the iPad, but I would, despite being able to afford it, be consdierably more pissed off if it was stolen.
                Well, I am in debt and I've got an iPad, my debts are a bit old now (circumstances do change), and I didn't pay anything up front for the iPad, I just pay monthly payments on a 2 year contract that includes a data plan. :nerd:

I will also not be avoiding mentioning where I go on holiday or what car a drive, or anything else, for fear of upsetting the sensibilities of anyone who can't afford one. I certainly don't brag about such things. And there are people much better off than me (and much worse off. I was making a point about the relative values of things that you could "afford to lose". And I do not need you to decide what I can and cannot think or say.
                No reason why you should, I used to be a mod on a debt site and it was common knowledge where I went on hols last year, I don't think it caused any offence, at least I hope it didn't!

Comment

im in debt and got a 10 quid tesco phone poor old Eloise seems to be a target everyday even when she gives a legal opinion and dont hold back,when she posts what people want to hear we might as well all pack up.Advice from anyone on here is advice the OP of any thread must make their own decisions based on advice given

Comment

I was up to me lugholes in debt but my OH kept his iphone contract going cos we couldn't afford a landline too..I had a 3rd hand fliptop phone till my son upgraded to the 5 and I got his 4 (still can't work the thing)
                    And yes Wales I agree with you wholeheartedly...Eloise gets grief just for being honest...good job she's not easily offended huh??

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboy View Post
                      If there is no way to avoid paying this, how can I plead for a reduced bill ?.
                      :focus:

You could try reminding Vodafone that they didn't pay a penny in UK corporation tax last year despite making billions of pounds in profit, so writing off your £1,300 won't hurt them that much

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        im in debt and got a 10 quid tesco phone poor old Eloise seems to be a target everyday even when she gives a legal opinion and dont hold back,when she posts what people want to hear we might as well all pack up.Advice from anyone on here is advice the OP of any thread must make their own decisions based on advice given
                        To be fair, it wasn't a legal opinion - it was a personal opinion about my sense of values. Sadly, I have been known to be answering peoples employment problems whilst on a Caribbean beach (and will be again come September). My values happen to include trying to help people to get a sense of their position and what if anything they can do about it. I was posting on my other site, over the last two years, from Haiti, the Dominican Republic, India, Nepal, Ethiopia, the USA, ******, Oman and Mexico - that;s not including various locations across the UK. So yes, I do have a tendency to leave my tablet in a beach bag when I go to the bar, in a car under a seat, in my hotel room recharging (which is bloody difficult to do when it is in the safe!). No I am not always careful of it because it is a tool and a convenience and allows me, amongst other things, to actually provide some of that legal advice when I am on holiday. Those are my values... and the amount of money which I am willing to risk in order to be able to do that is finite. Around about £160 in fact! You can be damn certain that when it costs me two and three times that amount of "risk" to help people out wherever I happen to be will be the day that I decide to do less or none of it when travelling. My phone, on the other hand, is worth considerably more than my tablet and you can be quite certain that I don't take risks with that - it's on my person or in the safe.

Comment

Oooh,,tell you who MIGHT know,,being an insider as it were :spy:....Puff....I'll pm her a link to this thread.

Pm'd her

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                            :focus:

You could try reminding Vodafone that they didn't pay a penny in UK corporation tax last year despite making billions of pounds in profit, so writing off your £1,300 won't hurt them that much
                            Good try PlanB - but I suspect "Look I am still your customer and paying you money" might have had more chance, but that wouldn't be the case! Personally, I did try out 02 a few years ago and spent more time not being able to get a signal and not being able to find a partner provider abroad that it just got silly. Believe it or not, I had to be stood in the right bit of my house to use it! And I really don't live in that remote a place!

Comment

My iPhone has been left in beach bags on a number of beaches around the world, sometimes I bury it in the sand, I got a special plastic bag which is allegedly waterproof to 3m or so, however, I wouldn't risk it, even if it was really watertight, it could still leave my company whilst swimming. But it protects it from the sand and no-one has, so far, started digging under my towel. Had a couple of scares though, on one occasion the tide came in and someone moved my towel, on another occasion, I was sunbathing on a slope and I started sliding down. On both occasions I managed to dig it up, unharmed.

Comment

I've never yet (touch wood) had a phone stolen although I stand guilty of murdering quite a few
                                They have,,in no particular order,suffered such fates as :-
                                Down the loo.............2
                                Broken as I fall over..1
                                Cat had kittens on bed where phone was and gunk spreads ....1
                                Ran over by car (left handbag on roof,took off,remembered bag and reversed running over said bag..1
                                Thrown in temper and forgot they don't bounce...2

I'm not a successful mobile phone owner

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X