• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unfair Dismissal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair Dismissal?

Hi All

I was hoping someone could cast their wisdom over my current predicament?

I am a professional in the Procurement sector, and recently moved from a job I thoroughly enjoyed and was successful at, to a permanent role closer to home.

After two weeks in my new role (still within probationary period) I was asked to attend a meeting with my line manager. In the meeting it was made clear that this would be my last day of employment at the company. Naturally I asked why they had come to this conclusion, and requested any examples of my work not meeting expectation, nothing was forthcoming. I inquired if this was a matter of conduct and again there was no mention of any problems. In the two weeks I was employed by the company at no point was there any indication of any problems, I was settling in well... seemingly!

They advised that an official letter would be sent to my home address outlining the reasoning behind the termination of my employment. A week later I am yet to receive this, is this a statutory requirement?

I have since (the following day) found the same job re-advertised as an 'administrator' role, with the same criteria.

As I had given up a full time job to take on the new challenge, and have now been left 'high and dry' I feel very frustrated. I'm sure you will agree that their conduct is immoral, I appreciate that the min service is one year for an Industrial Tribunal, but could anyone advise where I stand in legal terms?

Any advice would be gratefully received, warm thanks in advance!
    Last edited by smiler75; 30th May 2013, 16:17:PM. Reason: typo!
    Tags: None

Re: Unfair Dismissal?

I think I have got this right, but I want to be 100% certain. You moved to a new job with a new employer, and you have been in that job two weeks?

In which case I am sorry but you are nearly two years short of being able to claim for unfair dismissal and you are not even entitled to notice pay unless your contract states otherwise - the law permits dismissal without notice in the first four weeks. I am afraid there appears to be nothing you can do about this. And no, they are not required by law to give you any explanation for your dismissal.

Comment

Hi Eloise
      Many thanks for the reply and advice, it is indeed a new employer I joined on a permanent contract, and my tenure there was 2 weeks.
      I find it hard to believe that after 3 interviews giving them a clear picture of my experience and ambition, and with no complaints in any form about my work there, they are able to terminate my contract, without reason?! Then advertise the role again the next day as an administrator, for NMW! Surely there must be legislation against this?
      Thanks again for your time and help

Comment

No. Sorry. There is no legislation against this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X