• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

TUPE vehicle issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUPE vehicle issue

Hi i'm Paul

I currently work for Balfour Beatty Utilities in the Logistics section. I have a company van which i use to get to and home from work because of the distance i have to travel. This is not in my contract but i have had the use of it for 5 years now. On Monday i am TUPE'd over to DHL who will be running the Logistics section. They have said i will not be getting the van. I will have to travel 90 miles a day in my own car from now on. I can't afford to do this as it's just too much for petrol and wear & tear etc. Question is shouldn't TUPE law mean i should keep a van seeing as iv'e had it for so long?
    Also i have a bike 2 work scheme with BB will this also transfer over to DHL?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: TUPE vehicle issue

I expect you'll soon get a cogent answer to your questions, but it may not be what you'd like.

Meanwhile, I have a question of my own:

Originally posted by willow71uk View Post
    I will have to travel 90 miles a day ...
    Do you also travel 90 miles a day by bike?

Comment

Hi i'm Paul

I currently work for Balfour Beatty Utilities in the Logistics section. I have a company van which i use to get to and home from work because of the distance i have to travel. This is not in my contract but i have had the use of it for 5 years now. On Monday i am TUPE'd over to DHL who will be running the Logistics section. They have said i will not be getting the van. I will have to travel 90 miles a day in my own car from now on. I can't afford to do this as it's just too much for petrol and wear & tear etc. Question is shouldn't TUPE law mean i should keep a van seeing as iv'e had it for so long?

Thanks
      Well, here's the rub. You shouldn't have had a company vehicle for travelling to and from work in the first place and/or you should have been taxed (at an extortionate rate) for the privilege! And if you haven't been taxed on this at the aforementioned extortionate rate, then your new employer ought to be informing HMRC of that fact so that the tax due can be recovered from you.

Travel to and from work is the employees responsibility in law (and, as mentioned, tax law!) so this is not a right or a term of employment that you can enforce. Hence TUPE does not apply.

Comment

Oh well time to apply for VR then seeing as DHL are offering it.

Comment

You would rather be unemployed than pay travel costs to go to work, which is something the entire working population have to do?

Comment

I did say you mightn't like the advice.

Might DHL sell the car to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
              You would rather be unemployed than pay travel costs to go to work, which is something the entire working population have to do?
              That might depend on the terms DHL are offering and the likelihood of willow finding gainful employment elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                ... the likelihood of willow finding gainful employment elsewhere.
                Which might well be as far or farther away and which still will require them to use their own vehicle (or the bike). To say nothing of that pesky having to have two years continuous service before almost all your employment rights kick in. Though that may be moot - applying for VR and the employer agreeing to give it are not the same thing.

Comment

I am better taking the VR as my car wouldn't cope with the 90 miles a day travel, so without my car i would be out of a job anyway without getting my 8 years of service redundancy pay. Plus i am prepared to ride up to 20 miles for work.

Comment

I am better taking the VR as my car wouldn't cope with the 90 miles a day travel, so without my car i would be out of a job anyway without getting my 8 years of service redundancy pay. Plus i am prepared to ride up to 20 miles for work.
                    Good luck explaining that to the JobCentre - http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/m-20-12.pdf I believe you may find that they have a rather different view of how far you will be prepared to travel for work. Unless you are very confident of obtaining other similarly paying employment within your desired travel range, or prepared to work for peanuts, I would urge you to consider very carefully what you are doing before making any decisions. Giving up a job when you do not have to, giving up your employment rights and depending on benefits (which certainly won't stretch to running a car easily) is a major decision. And one which could easily backfire on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                      Good luck explaining that to the JobCentre - http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/m-20-12.pdf
                      I thank you for that evidence of how the appalling snollygosters in the present kakistocracy have played at Silly Buggers.

I shall put in a good word for you, tovarisch, when the Revolution comes!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X