• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Parking Eye response timescales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking Eye response timescales

Hello,
    My husband received a parking charge from this company at the start of January, he sent a letter back saying he wasn't parking he was picking myself and our baby daughter up from the premises involved. We hadn't seen any signage at the time. The time on the car park was less than 20 minutes. Anyway, after receiving a response within 14 days asking my husband to provide further information (?) we then didn't hear anything until today! Appeal has been rejected. I was under the impression these companies had 35 days to respond as stated on the POPLA website. However the letter received today states that the clause this refers to has been amended and hence doesn't apply. Can anyone advise specifically about this clause? Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Parking Eye response timescales

I've just taken this from the POPLA website, but can't see the limit you state. Have I missed it, or have they changed it?

The decision

The Assessor will consider all the evidence presented by you and by the operator.
    We aim to send out the decision to the parties on the working day following the Assessor deciding your appeal.

Comment

It's under 'I've received a parking charge notice' then the subheading 'making representations'.

From the POPLA website:

Decide whether to accept or reject the representations;Within 35 days of receiving the representations, accept or reject it and inform the maker.If they have accepted the representations or failed to respond within 35 days, cancel the notice to keeper (where the parking charge notice was served at the scene) or the parking charge notice (where this was served by post) and refund any sums paid.

Comment

I assume your talking about your initial appeal to the PPC, not to POPLA.

The BPA code of Practice says:

22.8 You must acknowledge or reply to the challenge within
        14 days of receiving it. If at first you only acknowledge
        the challenge, you must accept or reject the challenge in
        writing within 35 days of receiving it. We may require you
        to show that you are keeping to these targets.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/writ..._March2013.pdf

Have PE sent you a POPLA code?

Comment

Yes the appeal to Parking Eye. Yes they've sent a POPLA code. Does the fact that their response has taken 5 months make this null and void? Or is what is stated on the POPLA website out of date? Thanks.

Comment

I'd appeal to POPLA (Cost to PE: 27.40+VAT) quoting both the POPLA website and the BPA CoP (which is a new version published last March) PE can't just unilaterally change procedures for their convenience.

However the letter received today states that the clause this refers to has been amended and hence doesn't apply.
            I'd be interested in the exact wording or post a scan minus personal info.

Separately I'd challenge PE to produce source of the amended clause and the date it came into effect.

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post
              I'd appeal to POPLA (Cost to PE: 27.40+VAT) quoting both the POPLA website and the BPA CoP (which is a new version published last March) PE can't just unilaterally change procedures for their convenience.

I'd be interested in the exact wording or post a scan minus personal info.

Separately I'd challenge PE to produce source of the amended clause and the date it came into effect.
              Hear! Hear! A redacted copy of the letter would be great.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I'll post a scan of the letter or quote from it later, haven't got it to hand at the moment. Thank you for your help so far :-)

Comment

I can't seem to get an image uploaded, but the exact wording (under FAQ) is:

ParkingEye must accept or reject my appeal within 35 days?

The clause to which this argument refers has been amended and will be made accessible to the general public in due course. ParkingEye will not be penalised for failing to accept or reject an appeal within 35 days.

Comment

How very convenient!

Comment

I've also just sent an email to the BPA to ask about this supposed change. My husband is all for ignoring it, especially given that officially we're no longer at the address they are sending letters to, but I am concerned this won't stop them possibly pursuing it to small claims court.

Comment

I would have thought the delay of 5 months would give you a very strong defence. Whatever they say Page 14 22.8 of the new CoP (attached) sets out the 35 days very clearly still.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                          How very convenient!
                          It is - of course - utter nonsense.

Not only could the revised clause not form part of any contract until all parties thereto had been notified, only a court can revise a contract retrospectively - and even then only in a very few circumstances.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X