• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Excessive Staff Searches - Advice required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive Staff Searches - Advice required

Afternoon all, my first post so please be nice.

Ive worked in the same shop for the past 18 months, My employer owns several second hand stores.

Working in a shop i see the need for staff searches and partake in bag searches and will happily empty out my pockets if required. My boss now wants us all to sign a form/contract that gives him permission to get us to remove our shoes if asked (how would this stand if i was an asian woman?) and also gives him the right to search our vehicles. We are to sign or our jobs may be compromised. To me this seems excessive, isnt my car personal property? where would this end? can he come to my house and search it? (a slight exaggeration, but it serves a point...may be)

Ive spoke to Acas whom couldn't really advise, they told me to phone the Information Commissioner's Office, whom told me they didn't know why Acas put me onto them, any advice gratefully received. Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Excessive Staff Searches - Advice required

Other than the fact that ACAS advice is frequently inexplicable (and wrong) I can't imagine why either!

And since there is nothing that says Asian women can't remove their shoes (they frequently remove their shoes on entering any home), I'm not sure what that has to do with anything!

But that aside - there is absolutely nothing in law that says he cannot do this. On a personal basis I can agree it's excessive - on a legal one though, it isn't actually unlawful in any way. Must be gold dust in those second hand shops though, so if you could send us a list of where all this valuable merchandise is, we'd all be grateful because my local ones really don't have much worth stealing! In all seriousness though, on the other hand, it also strikes me that there is an issue - a sudden passion for such searches doesn't often spring out of nowhere. Are takings seriously down or something (because the only thing I can think of that fits in a shoe is money)?

But sorry, the bottom line here is that it is up to you. There is no legal right or wrong. If you are dismissed for refusing, then the decision as to who is in the right will be up to a tribunal, but honestly, on this one I could not even begin to guess whose side they would fall down on. If you can't afford to lose the job or take the risk, I'm afraid I'd advise signing - after all, since you aren't stealing anything you have nothing to fear.

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
        Must be gold dust in those second hand shops though, so if you could send us a list of where all this valuable merchandise is, we'd all be grateful because my local ones really don't have much worth stealing!
        How often have you looked?

There is no legal right or wrong. If you are dismissed for refusing, then the decision as to who is in the right will be up to a tribunal, but honestly, on this one I could not even begin to guess whose side they would fall down on. If you can't afford to lose the job or take the risk, I'm afraid I'd advise signing - after all, since you aren't stealing anything you have nothing to fear.
        Would your comments be significantly different - and how would they differ - if the employer insisted on the right to conduct full strip and body cavity searches?

Comment

Only you could think of something like that Cloggy, now behave yourself and leave the nice people alone.

:focus:

Comment

its not that far off topic, where does it stop/end.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
              Only you could think of something like that Cloggy, now behave yourself and leave the nice people alone.
              But where else might one conceal an antique fountain pen? :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post

Would your comments be significantly different - and how would they differ - if the employer insisted on the right to conduct full strip and body cavity searches?
                could be a job perk depending on who carries it out

Comment

Eloise01 is probably right - it sounds like cash has been going missing. That said, in order to conceal their own incompetence, managers whose stores are making a loss often accuse staff of stealing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X