• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax bill from previous address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax bill from previous address

Hello
    I received a council tax bill from the Borough council in April of this this year telling me I could pay by installments It had my present address on it and due to Goverment changes i assumed that i had to pay and I could pay in installments. I dont get my NHS pension until the 7th of the month as soon as I got my money i paid £21 for first installment. I had been on full council tax benefit before and paid nothing due to my low income. Then i get a first reminder of unpaid council tax. I thought it must be a computer error. This reminder bill is for my present address and it was still April and i had paid first payment for April.

Then I get a call from the Borough council today telling me that according to their records I am in arrears for my present address and the money i had paid went towards this dept. I moved to my present address 6 years ago and remembered that I owed them approx £300 from previous address and tried to pay a little towards paying it off but could not keep up the payments.

I think they are trying to tag on this old council tax arrears on to my present address but they have not been upfront about it. When I spoke to this man he said the arrears were for my present address and asked me if I wanted to speak to someone else to sort it out , I asked who and he said a debt collector, I said no thank you. I dont think they can tag on this old bill from a previous address to my present council tax bill.

Do you think I am right and how should I deal with it

I would appreciate your advice.

babisoloved
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax bill from previous address

Get them to put the assertion that the debt relates to your current address in writing.

Comment

Re: Council tax bill from previous address

They will be allowed to apply the debt to you at your current address, but obviously can't increase this year's CT to incorporate the debt.

My strongest advice would be to try to come to some amicable repayment agreement with the council as soon as possible, as experience tells me that they are fast to pass these debts onto bailiffs to enforce. Do not agree to anything that you cannot afford and sustain though.

The debt will not go away, so please act swiftly for your own benefit.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X