• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Told to visit a loan shark by my boss so I can return from holiday early...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Told to visit a loan shark by my boss so I can return from holiday early...

I booked a holiday in January 2013 for April. A few weeks before I was due to leave, whilst booking the parking, I realised I had made a mistake for the dates. I needed to take two extra days (which I had in my entitlement). I spoke with my manager regarding this and he said he would 'sort it' with his boss, whom all holiday must be authorised.

The following day, he said I had an issue and that his boss was refusing to allow me the time off as this would take me over two weeks holiday at one time. Apparently they were so annoyed they were coming to our office to discuss with me personally. Later that morning the director in question, did arrive, however did not mention a single word to me about the so called issue. Therefore I said to my boss I would contact the director as I was unable to amend my holiday dates. He said this wouldn't make any difference. When speaking with the director, her interpretation of the situation was far from accurate, thinking I had simply booked an extended holiday and then asked for the time off. I explained it was purely human error - I was told I needed to move my holiday so I return in time, in order not to be away for more than two weeks. I spoke with the travel company who advised me I would lose all of the money which had been spent on the holiday as it was so close to the date of travelling. I looked into flights and to leave my holiday two days was approximately £2,000 per person - I was travelling with my girlfriend. I was in no position to be able to pay even for a single ticket. By this time, it was the following week and I was due to fly the following Monday - however both my manager and the director (his boss) were on annual leave. I had no idea whom to speak to, so spoke with HR - This was the Tuesday The person I spoke to suggested I explain everything in an email to them, which I did together with an email from the travel stating any amendment to dates would result in me losing the money I had paid for my holiday (circa 2.5k). Wednesday I heard nothing back from HR, so followed up with another email asking for an update. I received a minimal response explaining as they had been unable to reach the director then there was no news. Within half an hour I received a text message from my manager saying ' I hope everything is ok in the office' my manager speaks to me as little as possible, let alone send me a text. I explained the predicament, with having to book a flight and stating I could not afford the £2,000, he replied suggesting I borrow the money off my parents, to which I said they were unable to do so, he continued to suggest, a friend, my girlfriend, to which when I said that wouldn't be possible, to get a loan or a credit card. I asked if I was to take the holiday did he think I would be sacked - he replied asking me to call him. When speaking with him, he said yes, he thought I would be sacked so I really need to raise the money for the flight suggesting I take something to a pawn shop or if I didn't have anything to pawn, yes here it comes, to go and visit a loan shark unless I didn't want to keep my job. Before losing my temper I ended the call.

A few hours later HR called and said I could have the time off.

Since returning to work, I have been told I am moving offices by the director in question, whom I sent a card apologising and stating how grateful I was. In the same meeting I tried to bring up the matter of my holiday, to which I was told it had been forgotten and now grudges were to be held. Today, less than two weeks after this meeting, I have been told to attend a meeting at head office with the director (and to ensure I park my company car in the head office car park, which is usually a big no no). I asked my manager if I had anything to be concerned about, he said no however the director was still 'fuming' about my holiday.

In short, I think they are going to fire me - but in light of the above, do I have any grounds to fight a case for being poorly treated?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Re: Told to visit a loan shark by my boss so I can return from holiday early...

There is an excellent employment person on here, Eloise01. I am sure she will look at this and give you her opinion on it tomorrow.

As a gut reaction, my view would be you should have been more careful in your planning, and if your company's rules state one thing and you do another, you are unlikely to have a leg to stand on.

What proof do you have of the phone calls re the loans, or will it be one persons word against another?

I hope for your sake I'm way off the mark.

Comment

Re: Told to visit a loan shark by my boss so I can return from holiday early...

I agree, but we are being premature. This is down to your error and the employer has done absolutely nothing wrong here. You made an error and booked the wrong dates for your leave. An employer must agree annual leave and you are not entitled to take it when you wish; you must conform to company policy; and an employer is always permitted to refuse requests for leave. Had you been unable to secure these extra dates it was therefore your problem. Whatever was said on the phone is not evidenced - it is your word against theirs; however, whilst such advice may be morally dubious, it is not illegal or "wrong" per se.

On the other hand, unless you have insufficient service to claim unfair dismissal, it is highly unlikely that they are going to dismiss you at this meeting without any due process, and you are guessing what the reason for the meeting even is. Until they actually do something you are being premature in asking whether there are grounds to fight it when nobody, including you, knows what "it" is.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X