• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rule 28 unregulated agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule 28 unregulated agreement

Thread subject should read: Rule 78

Hi,
    Im new here and wondered if i can get some help.

My wife and I took out a remortgage in Oct 2004 for £22k. Payments at £333.06PM over 180 months at a eye watering 17.9%. We were not aware that the finance company were using the Rule 78 system until a few years ago. Since last year we have gone into arrears as we could only afford to pay £200pm.

Last statement in February 2013: Balance was £28,699.76 and arrears balance £2,388.02

The original agreement has no mention of Rule 78 so I need to know if their practise is illegal and if we have a claim of any sort.

Help!!!
    Last edited by San; 9th May 2013, 10:31:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Rule 28 unregulated agreement

Sorry What is rule 28 ?

Do you mean rule of 78

Comment

OOps yes, I meant rule 78

Comment

rule of 78 is used to calculate sums due on an agreement it was supplanted by the actuarial method on agreements executed after may 2005.
        It sounds to me like the account is in roll up, this is the old fashioned term which means that your monthly repayments have not been covering the interest which has been debited to the account, so in effect the balance instead of reducing is "rolling up".

Do you have other unsecured borrowing ?

Comment

Yes that's right but if rule 78 was abolished in 2010 what happens now. Currently I don't have any unsecured loans

Comment

Originally posted by San View Post
            Yes that's right but if rule 78 was abolished in 2010 what happens now. Currently I don't have any unsecured loans
            I think it was 2005 as stated. In any case it was legal executed before this date.
            There has been a high court case where the term in the agreement requiring the system to be used in settlement calculations has been deemed unfair and unenforceable It would perhaps be better if we could have a look at the agreement, could you put it on here minus your personal details of course.

Comment

Ok, I don't have a scanner. Will try to sort something out

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X