• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Taking care of younger brother

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking care of younger brother

Hello everyone, not sure if it's the right place to ask but hopefully someone will be able to get me into the right direction...
    Originally I'm from eastern Europe (we are in EU ) and been living in Uk (London) for the last 3,5 years with my girlfriend (we came here together). We both are working, we have our own place pay our taxes etc. The thing is that my Mum is about to move out of our home country cause she got an offer for a good job abroad but she still has a young son (he is 13) which is my half brother. My step dad and mother has been divorced for a few years now, step dad doesn't really care much about his son and mum wants to move on but she can't really take my brother with her so she's stuck with the dilemma atm. I've spoke to all of them recently and me and my girlfriend would be very happy to bring my brother to the uk to live with us. We want let him go to the good school, give him an opportunity to do activities he loves etc. Basically we want to be his parents till he's grown up. My mum, brother and step dad agrees with that (they are actually very happy about it), they will give us any permission and will sign any document they need to. My mum also will be sending regular amount of money to us every month or so which will cover our expenses on my brother( at least partly). Basically the question is how can we become an official guardians? Cant really find any useful info where we should start from and what are our chances. I would be very thankful if someone could share their knowledge or at least opinion with us ..Website links are always welcome! ...or any info to be honest. thanks a lot xx

Hope to hear from you soon

P.s. We both are 23 y/o if it's important
    Tags: None

Re: Taking care of younger brother

Originally posted by ErikStefanovic View Post
    Hello everyone, not sure if it's the right place to ask but hopefully someone will be able to get me into the right direction...
    Originally I'm from eastern Europe (we are in EU ) and been living in Uk (London) for the last 3,5 years with my girlfriend (we came here together). We both are working, we have our own place pay our taxes etc. The thing is that my Mum is about to move out of our home country cause she got an offer for a good job abroad but she still has a young son (he is 13) which is my half brother. My step dad and mother has been divorced for a few years now, step dad doesn't really care much about his son and mum wants to move on but she can't really take my brother with her so she's stuck with the dilemma atm. I've spoke to all of them recently and me and my girlfriend would be very happy to bring my brother to the uk to live with us. We want let him go to the good school, give him an opportunity to do activities he loves etc. Basically we want to be his parents till he's grown up. My mum, brother and step dad agrees with that (they are actually very happy about it), they will give us any permission and will sign any document they need to. My mum also will be sending regular amount of money to us every month or so which will cover our expenses on my brother( at least partly). Basically the question is how can we become an official guardians? Cant really find any useful info where we should start from and what are our chances. I would be very thankful if someone could share their knowledge or at least opinion with us ..Website links are always welcome! ...or any info to be honest. thanks a lot xx

Hope to hear from you soon

P.s. We both are 23 y/o if it's important
    My gut feeling is that if the child is still living in eastern europe then the laws of that country are paramount so any legal guardianship should be done through the legal process where the child is living. Any copy of that paperwork does need to be brought with your step brother when he comes to say in this country as you would have the authority to make decisions on his behalf up to the age of 18 years old.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X