• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Resigning while suspended from work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resigning while suspended from work

This is a complicated story so I will do my best to explain it in full :bounce:

I was suspended from work on the 8th February for breaches of the companies IT and email policy. I basically sent several emails to a col******/friend which they deemed as poor in taste as they were in relation to another col******.

During my suspension I have questioned why they read my emails and I have stated that the way I have been treated is unfair and unjustified by raising a grievance which at first they refused to uphold and on the 19th April I then appealed the grievance.

Since the 19th April I have heard nothing from the company and since I was suspended I realised that I would have to look for alternative employment.

Now here is the tricky part. Today I started a new role while still employed (Suspended) from my previous employers and I'm unsure how I should approach my old employers. I have had some advice from a employment law advisor and she has stated that I have a case for unfair dismissal if I was dismissed.

I'm unsure if I should just resign with immediate effect (any repurcussions?) and be thankful I have a new job or stay with the company and hope I get dismissed and push for unfair dismissal.

I know this may read as a very complicated situation but any advice is welcome.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Resigning while suspended from work

Originally posted by Bobski27 View Post

I was suspended from work on the 8th February for breaches of the companies IT and email policy. I basically sent several emails to a col******/friend which they deemed as poor in taste as they were in relation to another col******.

During my suspension I have questioned why they read my emails and I have stated that the way I have been treated is unfair and unjustified by raising a grievance which at first they refused to uphold and on the 19th April I then appealed the grievance.

Since the 19th April I have heard nothing from the company and since I was suspended I realised that I would have to look for alternative employment.

Now here is the tricky part. Today I started a new role while still employed (Suspended) from my previous employers and I'm unsure how I should approach my old employers. I have had some advice from a employment law advisor and she has stated that I have a case for unfair dismissal if I was dismissed.

I'm unsure if I should just resign with immediate effect (any repurcussions?) and be thankful I have a new job or stay with the company and hope I get dismissed and push for unfair dismissal.

Thank you.
    This is probably one for Eloise but how did you get a reference from your previous/current employer?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
      This is probably one for Eloise but how did you get a reference from your previous/current employer?
      My old team leader who is a good friend provided me with a reference. I was extremely cautious and also slightly concerned that I would struggle with a reference while still technically employed.

Comment

My old team leader who is a good friend provided me with a reference. I was extremely cautious and also slightly concerned that I would struggle with a reference while still technically employed.
        Is he still with the company?
        Were you using him as a company work reference?

Comment

Is he still with the company?
          Were you using him as a company work reference?
          Yes to both questions.

Comment

Yes to both questions.
            Is it a big company with a central Human Resources?

Comment

Relatively big with a HR team.

May I ask why this is relevant?

Comment

Relatively big with a HR team.

May I ask why this is relevant?
                I'm asking cos the actions of your former team leader could lead to him being sacked from the company or facing disciplinary over the matter and might even lead to you losing the job you have gained based on deception in gaining that reference.
                You can resign btw, but the firm can still proceed and sack you during the notice period which Eloise will confirm.

Comment

Thank you.
                  Based on what you have said here, not much of an employment law advisor. You made unacceptable comments about a col****** at work to another col******, and the employer has a witness who has made the complaint and the emails in question. That would be potential gross misconduct in anyones book. You are paid to work, not discuss your opinion of people employed with you. Then you compounded this by, whilst suspended, taking another job whilst still in employment. Your employment advisor didn't happen to mention that was fraud did they? Also gross misconduct. Which if it isn't found out anyway, will be found out, because a tribunal requires you to submit a schedule of loss and you not only don't have any loss, but you would be found out as having been employed elsewhere whilst suspended.

To say nothing of what is likely to happen to your team leader if the employer finds out that they gave you a reference whilst suspended and under investigation, and failed to mention that small fact.

I would suggest that you don't push your luck - if your current - as in new - employer finds out what you have done, given you need two years employment for unfair dismissal now, you might find that you end up with two dismissals on your record, and that is going to be kind of hard to explain.

Comment

I'm asking cos the actions of your former team leader could lead to him being sacked from the company or facing disciplinary over the matter and might even lead to you losing the job you have gained based on deception in gaining that reference.
                    You can resign btw, but the firm can still proceed and sack you during the notice period which Eloise will confirm.
                    Absolutely. And inform the new employer of the facts too.

Comment

The team leader who provided the reference is leaving the company on Friday and is not too fussed if there is any repercussions due to the reference he gave me. The new company I work for are satisfied with the reference so I can't see why there would be any issues. I know I can resign but with my notice period set as a week can they reply to my grievance and still continue with the disciplinary in such a short time?

Thank you for your help by the way.

Comment

The team leader who provided the reference is leaving the company on Friday and is not too fussed if there is any repercussions due to the reference he gave me. The new company I work for are satisfied with the reference so I can't see why there would be any issues. I know I can resign but with my notice period set as a week can they reply to my grievance and still continue with the disciplinary in such a short time?

Thank you for your help by the way.
                        I think your post crossed with Eloise so if you read what she has written, then that is where I am going on the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
                          Based on what you have said here, not much of an employment law advisor. You made unacceptable comments about a col****** at work to another col******, and the employer has a witness who has made the complaint and the emails in question. That would be potential gross misconduct in anyones book. You are paid to work, not discuss your opinion of people employed with you. Then you compounded this by, whilst suspended, taking another job whilst still in employment. Your employment advisor didn't happen to mention that was fraud did they? Also gross misconduct. Which if it isn't found out anyway, will be found out, because a tribunal requires you to submit a schedule of loss and you not only don't have any loss, but you would be found out as having been employed elsewhere whilst suspended.

To say nothing of what is likely to happen to your team leader if the employer finds out that they gave you a reference whilst suspended and under investigation, and failed to mention that small fact.

I would suggest that you don't push your luck - if your current - as in new - employer finds out what you have done, given you need two years employment for unfair dismissal now, you might find that you end up with two dismissals on your record, and that is going to be kind of hard to explain.
                          There is no witness and no one made a compliant. The emails were supposedly "Flagged up" and I have suggested that their "flagging up" system is unfair and doesn't apply to everyone in the company. I made this suggestion as I once saw an email between a director and a col****** claiming that I was a "serial non-worker".

Should I just simply say that I wish to resign with immediate effect to find alternative employment?

Thank you for the advice and help.

Comment

There is no witness and no one made a compliant. The emails were supposedly "Flagged up" and I have suggested that their "flagging up" system is unfair and doesn't apply to everyone in the company. I made this suggestion as I once saw an email between a director and a col****** claiming that I was a "serial non-worker".

Should I just simply say that I wish to resign with immediate effect to find alternative employment?

Thank you for the advice and help.
                            I think I made it clear - resign before the hole you dug gets any deeper. It doesn't matter whether the team leader is leaving anyway. And it doesn't matter how they got the e-mails - they have them.

Comment

One more sacking over emails! It's getting more and more common, I was probably one of the 'pioneers' nearly 10 years ago.

One comment I'd like to make is that deleting emails doesn't do much good, when I got suspended, I told my friend who worked for another bank all about it, and he went and deleted all his emails to me the day after, but IT restored them all from their backups! :typing:

Just for the record, there was nothing "in poor taste" in my emails, nor was I talking about fellow workers (as I can't use the "C" word :lol. But this being the financial sector, they accused us of exchanging information, which we didn't do, but it was enough for them to investigate him, and sack him, despite not even working for the same company as myself!

These days there really is no reason to use the company email system when you can use your smartphone or tablet anywhere, things were different at the turn of the millennium. :nerd:

…although I still didn't learn my lesson back then!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X