• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Law and dog fouling on private land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Law and dog fouling on private land

I live on a new Housing Association estate and have taken an interest in preventing people letting their dog go to the toilet and their owners not clearing up after them. It is a huge problem because they go through are estate to get to the park and before they get to the park the inevitable happens. We have a Management Company who look after the communal areas including the paths and bushes beside the paths. The Management Company clear up three times a week. But I am interested in prevention and went to see the Manager of the Company and surgested putting up a poster which I got from the Keep Britain Tidy organisation, near the litter bins. The posters are quite shocking and they are meant to be so that people feel guilty and do the right thing. We have no special dog bins like they have in the parks either. So i have asked the Council to provide us with some and with the help of my local Councillor managed to get 3. I went to discus all this with the Manager and he was totally against it, he said the posters were offensive and didnt want his other tenants to be offended. I reminded him that he would be a lot more offended if he stood in some dog dirt or his daughter/son stepped in it and picked up a decease which could leave him or her blind. The meeting didnt go well and he informed me that the estate is private land and he didnt want to have dog bins or posters on the estate and his company will take care of the dog mess. I have looked in my [ shared ownership ] lease and my lease says i have to pay ground rent to the owner of the land my flat is built on. Is this what he means by private land do you think ? He has said he would be happy for any dog bins to be placed on the outer edges of the estate, on council land. If the bins are placed there some people may use them but it wont solve the problem that people with dogs are cutting through are estate to get to the park and thats where they let their dogs go to the toilet.

Does anybody know anything about the law regarding private land and dog fouling ? I dont know where to go from here.

I would appreciate some advice please.

bambisoloved
    Tags: None

Re: The Law and dog fouling on private land

Fouling by dogs is covered under Local Authority Bye Laws

It will only be applicable if the areas in question are maintained at public expense

Comment

I don't know about the law on dog fouling on private land but if it was my land or I contributed to the upkeep of the land in question and the manager was failing to do anything about the problem I would collect as much of the said dog doodoo as possible and post it to the manager with photographic evidence as to where it was found and politely ask again for them to do something about it, every week if needed!

Comment

I dont know what the law is about dog fouling i notice some towns one is where i libe that have btlaws and bins etc but i think this is on public owned land,if it gets too bad can you not film or photograph the owners wirh their offending dogs sending poo through the post is probably against the law ,
        im not a dog lover and hate to see the mess some owners allow their dogs to leave

Comment

Originally posted by bambisoloved View Post
          I reminded him that he would be a lot more offended if ... his daughter/son stepped in it and picked up a decease which could leave him or her blind.
          If they became deceased, I'm sure that blindness would be the least of their worries. :grin:

Seriously though, Toxocara canis (link) is not transmitted by merely stepping in dog poo - one would have to ingest (eat!) the roundworm eggs, possibly by getting one's hands a bit muddy and then licking off the mud.

Have you also considered the effects of Toxocara cati (link) which is transmitted via cat poo? How many cat "owners" clear up their pet's turds?

I have looked in my [ shared ownership ] lease and my lease says i have to pay ground rent to the owner of the land my flat is built on. Is this what he means by private land do you think ?
          No.

He meant that the roads and pavements are maintained privately and that the land for the roads and pavements is either owned by the management company, or by each property owner.

Comment

Originally posted by bambisoloved View Post
            I live on a new Housing Association estate and have taken an interest in preventing people letting their dog go to the toilet and their owners not clearing up after them. It is a huge problem because they go through are estate to get to the park and before they get to the park the inevitable happens. We have a Management Company who look after the communal areas including the paths and bushes beside the paths. The Management Company clear up three times a week. But I am interested in prevention and went to see the Manager of the Company and surgested putting up a poster which I got from the Keep Britain Tidy organisation, near the litter bins. The posters are quite shocking and they are meant to be so that people feel guilty and do the right thing. We have no special dog bins like they have in the parks either. So i have asked the Council to provide us with some and with the help of my local Councillor managed to get 3. I went to discus all this with the Manager and he was totally against it, he said the posters were offensive and didnt want his other tenants to be offended. I reminded him that he would be a lot more offended if he stood in some dog dirt or his daughter/son stepped in it and picked up a decease which could leave him or her blind. The meeting didnt go well and he informed me that the estate is private land and he didnt want to have dog bins or posters on the estate and his company will take care of the dog mess. I have looked in my [ shared ownership ] lease and my lease says i have to pay ground rent to the owner of the land my flat is built on. Is this what he means by private land do you think ? He has said he would be happy for any dog bins to be placed on the outer edges of the estate, on council land. If the bins are placed there some people may use them but it wont solve the problem that people with dogs are cutting through are estate to get to the park and thats where they let their dogs go to the toilet.

Does anybody know anything about the law regarding private land and dog fouling ? I dont know where to go from here.

I would appreciate some advice please.

bambisoloved
            It's a bugger isn't it Bambi?

In our village we even provided free bags+bins+signs -and do you know what? Even if they bothered to put the sh1t in the bags they then hung the bags in the trees and left them there. eeeww. Why???:mmph:

Unfortunately (and inexplicably) this doesn't seem to be against any enforceable law.

I applaud your efforts, do keep trying and I wish you very good luck.:ohwell: xx

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
              In our village we even provided free bags+bins+signs -and do you know what? Even if they bothered to put the sh1t in the bags they then hung the bags in the trees and left them there. eeeww. Why???:mmph:
              Where else should they leave the turds to ripen? :grin:

Comment

THE DISEASE PEOPLE ARE GETTING CONFUSED ON IS ACTUALLY Toxoplasmosis

Cats are the primary source, not dogs

Comment

As a dog owner who always tries to be responsible I applaud your efforts and share your frustrations. We frequently have canine faeces outside our house from other peoples' dogs - it's pretty disgusting.

Keep up your good efforts, and if you succeed, please consider moving to our village next!

Comment

Originally posted by FORCEOFONE View Post
                    THE DISEASE PEOPLE ARE GETTING CONFUSED ON IS ACTUALLY Toxoplasmosis

Cats are the primary source, not dogs
                    No confusion F1 - toxocara canis (transmitted to humans through ingesting infected dog faeces) can cause blindness and even death. Of course if the dogs are all regularly wormed then it's fine......uke:

Comment

And Toxocara cati is harmless?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        And Toxocara cati is harmless?
                        Of course not - cat faeces also carries the amoebic thingy that causes Toxoplasmosis which is why pregnant women are advised not to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                          Of course not - cat faeces also carries the amoebic thingy that causes Toxoplasmosis which is why pregnant women are advised not to handle it.
                          It is not amoebic - the parasite is a roundworm which infects its hosts by eggs deposited in animal turds.

How many cat owners follow their moggies and pick up cat poo?

Comment

It is not amoebic - the parasite is a roundworm which infects its hosts by eggs deposited in animal turds.

It's a protzoan sorry (toxoplasma gondii if you must) which is different from toxocara and an additional danger in cat turds. Not spotted anyone doing as you describe, no.

Comment

I do Cloggy :bedjump:.........but my Patchcat is an indoor cat so has a litterbox and as soon as the deed is done it's removed and flushed down the loo (the poo,,not the cat,that would a tad unfair lol)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X