• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Interest rate increased for no reason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest rate increased for no reason

Hi All,

Got home today to find a letter from Halifax saying that they've noticed some changes on my credit history and as a result have increased my interest rate by 5% p.a.

I'm looking at my credit report now on Experian using their free trial and there is only one "negative factor", that being "You have no successfully settled non-mail order accounts".

I've not missed any payments on my credit card with Halifax in over 15 months (and even then it was because I paid a a couple of days too soon so it didn't count in the right period) and this is the only debt I have, besides a mobile phone contract and paying my car insurance monthly. I've never missed a single payment on either of these. In recent months my total debt has actually fallen after clearing a reasonable overdraft on a joint account.

Any one have any insight into to why Halifax are increasing my interest rate and is there any way I can fight the increase and keep the use of my credit card?

It only makes a difference each month of £0.42 but I object to it all the same - I've done nothing wrong but they are increasing it regardless!
    Tags: None

Re: Interest rate increased for no reason

That's banks for you! In my case, MBNA increased the rate to a whopping 36% in 2009, at the time the BoE lowered the rates down to zero to stimulate the economy. There was no mention of adverse credit, just the usual "T&C change" and I'd been paying it by DD without a single missed or late payment for 15 years... :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: I pointed that out to them but their response was that that's what they charge, unless I wanted to stop using the card, in which case I'd be charged a very modest and charitable 25%! :rant: A few months later I stopped paying as I was out of work at the time (thanks to the lovely banks!) and I haven't paid since.

In most cases, the only way to pay less interest is to stop using the card, although a friend of mine claims to have been able to negotiate a lower rate, but that varies from bank to bank. They do what they want because they can! :rant: :rant: :rant:

An alternative would be to transfer your balance to a card with a lower rate of, if your recent credit history is good, you may want to look at a personal loan (rates tend to be considerably lower than most credit cards) and pay off your balance with that, said friend of mine also got one recently at 7% I think it was.

Some may disagree with this course of action because it can lead to more debt, but it all depends on how you handle it, if you max out your card again soon then it may be a recipe for disaster (I did, hence my presence on debt forums :grin.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X