• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Defamation Bill 2013 - At last it's Law! LB is safe from vexatious libel threats!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Defamation Bill 2013 - At last it's Law! LB is safe from vexatious libel threats!

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!

Absolutely thrilled to announce that the Defamation Bill became law yesterday.

Right to the nail-biting end, this Bill was a brilliant achievement, the result of incredibly hard work by the Campaign for Libel Reform, English PEN, Sense About Science and many others.

Only on Tuesday, did we learn that the VITAL inclusion on companies being required to show demonstrable loss before commencing libel proceeding HAD been included and would form part of the final Bill. I breathed a huge personal sigh of relief............. Last year I received two direct libel threats against Legal Beagles. I had to instruct a very good solicitor to chase off these threats; which cost money that can never be recovered. Indeed I was only able to instruct him to respond as robustly as he did because Legal Beagles is non-commercial and I have no assets.

See here for full story: http://legalbeagles.info/civil-recov...-court-defeat/

So, any more unpleasant scamming companies out there who want to use libel threats as a form of 'reputation management' can think again

FROM ROBERT SHARP - English PEN
    Dear Friends

We are delighted to report that the Defamation Bill is now law.
    The legislation was finally agreed by Parliament earlier this week, and yesterday became an Act of Parliament, the
    Defamation Act 2013

This new law expands the space for free speech in the UK. It also curbs the problem of 'libel tourism', where overseas writers were being threatened by lawyers based in London.

This success is the result of a three-and-a-half year campaign by English PEN and our colleagues in the Libel Reform Campaign - Index on Censorship and Sense About Science.
    English PEN members have been some of the most active campaigners, and we are extremely grateful for your support.

Our Director
    Jo Glanville
    (who co-wrote our original libel inquiry report
    Free Speech is not for Sale
    while editor of Index on Censorship) said:
    'This remarkable campaign was launched by my predecessor Jonathan Heawood and our former president Lisa Appignanesi. It has united politicians and campaigners to reform a law that had become an international embarrassment. The chill has had an impact on anyone speaking out in the public interest - from scientists to bloggers - and has even affected novelists. This reforming Act is good news for freedom of speech in the UK.'
    Author
    Simon Singh
    , defendant in
    BCA v Singh
    , said:
    'This is an extraordinary story of cross-party collaboration, fired up by a grassroots campaign, backed by everyone from nerds to Mumsnet, which includes mums who are also nerds. Four years ago, libel reform was not an issue that anybody cared about, but I have witnessed first hand how charities, bloggers, MPs, Lords and a multitude of others pushed this issue up the agenda, into manifestos, into the Queen’s Speech and now, at last, we have a Defamation Act that will change the landscape of free speech in Britain.'
    You can read
    more comments from our campaign partners and supporters
    on the Libel Reform Campaign website. The campaign has also produced an
    initial analysis of the Bill (PDF)
    explaining what we campaigned for, and what will change.

Unfortunately, the work of the campaign is not yet done.
    We will be keeping pressure on the Government to 'commence' the new Act as soon as possible. Ministers also need to keep their promise to publish clear and robust regulations for website operators, costs protection measures, and Civil Procedure Rules that will give the provisions in the Defamation Act real bite.

With best wishes

Robert Sharp
    Head of Campaigns & Communications
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com
    Tags: None

Re: The Defamation Bill 2013

Well done, Cel. I do know from reports I have been receiving through 38 Degrees, Avaaz, Change.org and UK Column that all manner of malignant individuals were doing their utmost to hijack the Bill and protect the profits of major corporations right up to the very last minute. Now that large corporations cannot bully individuals, etc., into silence, I would not be at all surprised if we now see whistleblowers exposing some very shady and dodgy dealings without fear of being sent a chilling letter by the likes of Schillings.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
      Only on Tuesday, did we learn that the VITAL inclusion on companies being required to show demonstrable loss before commencing libel proceeding HAD been included and would form part of the final Bill. I breathed a huge personal sigh of relief............. Last year I received two direct libel threats against Legal Beagles. I had to instruct a very good solicitor to chase off these threats; which cost money that can never be recovered. Indeed I was only able to instruct him to respond as robustly as he did because Legal Beagles is non-commercial and I have no assets.

See here for full story: http://legalbeagles.info/civil-recov...-court-defeat/

So, any more unpleasant scamming companies out there who want to use libel threats as a form of 'reputation management' can think again
      This is, indeed, excellent news! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Makes a lot of sense to stop people and companies issuing gratuitous claims :flypig: and using legal threats as a form of intimidation. :mad2: :rant:

Comment

What happened by the governments attempt to try and water down the Bill

Their were a lot of dodgy goings on in the corridors of power on this

Who defeated the opposition, or did they end up with cold feet

Comment

Well I think LIBEL LAWYER Lord Garnier has come out of this looking especially bad and motivated by self interest. Because of course, law firms like Schillings will see a drying up of the lucrative work in speculative letters they send out to victims like Legal beagles.
          Whilst researching this odious man, I discovered that "On 5 February 2013 MP Sir Edward Garnier voted against in the House of Commons Second Reading vote on marriage equality in Britain.He was given a score of 14% in favour of lesbian, gay and bisexual equality by Stonewall."

And just look at him!!??
          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...libel-law.html

ForceOfOne, it was very close thing and very hard fought. Hard to believe I could be sitting here still totally vulnerable to empty threats had Garnier got his way.
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Re: The Defamation Bill 2013 - At last it's Law! LB is safe from vexatious libel thre

Now why does schillings ring a bell from a few years ago, i will keep mum on that, no surprise the objections though

Enough said

Comment

Re: The Defamation Bill 2013 - At last it's Law! LB is safe from vexatious libel thre

it was very close thing and very hard fought. Hard to believe I could be sitting here still totally vulnerable to empty threats had Garnier got his way.

​Bagsy I gets first dibs at de-balling anyone that threatens again...can't have ole LeggyLou feeling vulnerable now can we?? msl:

Comment

UK Column covered some of those who tried to hijack the Bill in order to protect the profits of major corporations and allow them to bully and silence those who dared to speak out against them. The amendments have been a heavy blow for the big corporations who thought they could do what they wanted without fear of their less-than-reputable, socially-divisive and environmentally-damaging activities being brought out into the public domain and exposed to the glare of public scrutiny.

You and others, Cel, have worked hard to ensure the freedoms our forefathers fought and died for have been preserved and strengthened against some pretty vicious and sustained opposition. If anyone has to write a tribute to you, it should contain the words, "This woman fought for freedom of speech, freedom of thought, freedom of expression and justice and won."

Comment

msl:I see you caused a bit of mischief Mr Bluebottle,,,named as a naughty boy...as if you would lmao

Comment

So did Clever Clogs. Sigh. Such is the price of notoriety. Lol!

Comment

And me!!! They wanted me banned from my own forum!??

Comment

Originally posted by FORCEOFONE View Post
                        Now why does schillings ring a bell from a few years ago, i will keep mum on that, no surprise the objections though

Enough said
                        Ryan Giggs?

Comment

Yes, Cel. Wacky Jacky has certainly lived up to her nickname. How do we stand sending her a chill letter for alleging LB is subject to a criminal investigation when it is not? I would never be surprised to see the offices of RLP and Cireco raided by the NFA or SFO.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                            Ryan Giggs?

sending a pm

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                              Yes, Cel. Wacky Jacky has certainly lived up to her nickname. How do we stand sending her a chill letter for alleging LB is subject to a criminal investigation when it is not? I would never be surprised to see the offices of RLP and Cireco raided by the NFA or SFO.
                              Or by a certain regulator?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X