• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need information on Small Claims Court process

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need information on Small Claims Court process

I purchased £100 worth of items from an online retailer but nothing showed up. Their customer service has been lying and making up details about the despatch and finally said that once the order has been processed then it became my responsibility. This is against the Distance Selling Regulations and I am taking them to the court.

Now, I want to seek £500 for inconvenience and the original cost. I have never gone to small claims court against anyone so I don't know the procedure. I know I have to pay the fee upfront when starting the small claims court procedure. Would I be penalised for asking too much money? What if the judge decides to award me £250 in total, what would happen to the court fees which I paid upfront? Would I get a refund from the court or not, because the fee for £250 is different for a £500 claim. Or would the defendant have to pay fees at the rate of £500 even though an award was granted to the claimant for less than that amount?

I have searched everywhere on the internet and forums but could not find the answer to that. Surprisingly, the Citizen's Advice Bureau advisor over the phone didn't have a clue either. Can someone please help me out here as to what would have in different scenarios?
    Tags: None

Re: Need information on Small Claims Court process

How much was the actual cost of the goods?

How did you pay?

Comment

£100. I paid by PayPal using my debit card. The whole fiasco went more than their 45 days limit.

Anyway, it's surprising to me that no where on the internet you can find an answer to my question:

If a claimant sues a defendant for £500, where the cost of goods is £100 and the rest is inconvenience, and the judgement is awarded to the claimant but only for £250, in that case what are the consequences of court fees?

Also, is the claimant penalised in any way for seeking £500 in damages?

You would think that this is a basic question - but you can't find answer to that anywhere.

Comment

My understanding is that you can't claim for inconvenience, though you can claim for the time it's taken to handle the matter, possibly at £20 per hour. Include the cost of phone calls etc and any other related costs. The court fees are a separate line on the total claim section.

Best bet is to go and get a form from your local court and look at the layout.

The overall procedure is fairly easy. Fill out the form, try not to bore the judge, but be sure to give enough detail.

I've been successful in every one I've used. (persistent non payers in a small business)

Comment

You can claim on line the fees are cheaper, you may be able to reclaim your fees from the defendant if you win your claim.

I think all compensation added to the claim for inconvenience etc are at the discretion of the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
            you may be able to reclaim your fees from the defendant if you win your claim.
            Fees paid are part of the claim.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
              Fees paid are part of the claim.

Yes but he has to win the claim and hope the defendant can pay up.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                try not to bore the judge
                Lest he falls asleep and finds for the other side when he awakens?

Comment

Well, you know this is pretty key for a lot of people - it's taken me 4 hours of work to navigate the points of law and write particulars of claim, file with MCOL (money claim online), never mind all the emails dates and documents I have had to get together, then follow the civil practice directive rules on notifying the particulars to the other party, then filling in and sending a certificate of service (to show that I have filed the particulars on the other party), and then emailing the document to the court, scanning the documents (because they have to be signed), just for a simple claim over a car battery wrongfully supplied and no refund given despite months of emails etc... The labour cost of doing all this dwarfs the sum owned for the battery.

But nowhere are their any indications of what you can claim for having to do all this. It's byzantine. So the claim is for some daft low amount plus interest.
                  Last edited by trampjuice; 24th April 2013, 14:12:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trampjuice View Post
                    Well, you know this is pretty key for a lot of people - it's taken me 4 hours of work to navigate the points of law and write particulars of claim, file with MCOL (money claim online), never mind all the emails dates and documents I have had to get together, then follow the civil practice directive rules on notifying the particulars to the other party, then filling in and sending a certificate of service (to show that I have filed the particulars on the other party), and then emailing the document to the court, scanning the documents (because they have to be signed), just for a simple claim over a car battery wrongfully supplied and no refund given despite months of emails etc... The labour cost of doing all this dwarfs the sum owned for the battery.

But nowhere are their any indications of what you can claim for having to do all this. It's byzantine. So the claim is for some daft low amount plus interest.

Are you the same user as the person who started the thread?
                    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                      Are you the same user as the person who started the thread?
                      Nope

Comment

LIP rate stands at £18.00 per hour to bring a civil claim

Comment

From - http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/other...er-problem.htm
                          Costs

If you are successful, you can ask the Judge to award you ‘costs’ to reimburse you for any financial loss you have suffered to attend the hearing. However, if you are unsuccessful the defendant can ask for his/her costs as well!

These ‘costs’ include:
                          • any court fees paid;
                          • an amount of not more than £50 per day each for the party, and any witnesses for loss of earnings due to attending the court hearing
                          • costs for use of an expert up to a maximum of £200;
                          • the party’s own and any witnesses’ expenses in attending court, for example, fares and accommodation;
                          • any costs ordered by the Judge if one of the parties behaved in an unreasonable way.
                          Costs will not be awarded by the court unless the successful party asks for them at the time the judgment is made in the hearing. If there has not been a hearing, the successful party will need to write to the court asking for costs. You will be expected to prove your costs so it is wise the keep any travel tickets, hotel invoices in case the Judge wants to see them.
                          However if you have had the opportunity to settle this out of court, for example through an ombudsman or negotiations, and you didn’t, the court may not award you costs, even if you are successful.

Comment

Originally posted by trampjuice View Post
                            From - http://www.thompsons.law.co.uk/other...er-problem.htm
                            Costs

If you are successful, you can ask the Judge to award you ‘costs’ to reimburse you for any financial loss you have suffered to attend the hearing. However, if you are unsuccessful the defendant can ask for his/her costs as well!

These ‘costs’ include:
                            • any court fees paid;
                            • an amount of not more than £50 per day each for the party, and any witnesses for loss of earnings due to attending the court hearing
                            • costs for use of an expert up to a maximum of £200;
                            • the party’s own and any witnesses’ expenses in attending court, for example, fares and accommodation;
                            • any costs ordered by the Judge if one of the parties behaved in an unreasonable way.
                            Costs will not be awarded by the court unless the successful party asks for them at the time the judgment is made in the hearing. If there has not been a hearing, the successful party will need to write to the court asking for costs. You will be expected to prove your costs so it is wise the keep any travel tickets, hotel invoices in case the Judge wants to see them.
                            However if you have had the opportunity to settle this out of court, for example through an ombudsman or negotiations, and you didn’t, the court may not award you costs, even if you are successful.
                            Not if the claim is under the £5k mark(I think that figure may have gone up to 10K) which from post 1 is clear that this would be the case.
                            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X