• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

n power offers compensation BUT!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n power offers compensation BUT!!!

Hi every one
    About ten week ago Bailiff from n power (didnt now he was untill later) knocked our door saying im from npower iv come to read your meter, I let him in, he read the meter and then said, iv also come to collect the £400.00 outstanding on your electric bill. This is when he said he was a Bailiff. I argued saying there is no outstanding balance. He didnt beleive me, I insisted he phoned n power ther and then. He did, it was a mistake therre is no outstanding balance.

After he left i was so angry and upset i emailed the CEO to complain and gave details of what had happenned.

To cut the story short they acknowledged my complaint and would investigate. Eight week later they appologised and said it shouldn't have happenned and offered to compensate me with £40.00.
    I refused and requested £100.00, they agreed but would not pay the money into my bank account the DD come from. but would pay it towards my fuel bill (gas and electric) I have said this was their mistake and i should decide where the money iscredited. they disagree and my complaint is being passed onto the higher lever complaints team - whatever that may mean, I should have a respnce witihin 14 days.

Can they do this, if not what can I throw back at them.
    Thanks
    Gill x
    Tags: None

Re: n power offers compensation BUT!!!

There are more learned members who can provide you with specific advice on the matter of what Npower are attempting to do. One of them will be along shortly.

The issue of this bailiff using deceit in order to gain entry is bad enough. You would have been completely within your rights to use as much reasonable force as was necessary to remove him from your home. Where a bailiff uses deceit in order to gain entry, they are trespassing as they must be clear as to why they wish to enter, although unless they have an order signed in ink by a judge, they can be legitimately refused entry to a person's home.

Did the bailiff say they were acting under the authority of a warrant issued by a county court or a magistrates court? If Npower wrongfully obtained a warrant, they have committed a civil tort known as Malicious Prosecution, as well as defamed your character and reputation. Check your credit file. If they have placed anything of a detrimental nature on your credit file that would affect your ability to obtain credit, they must remove it immediately. If they do not, you could seek damages from Npower.

As far as compensation goes, £40 is an insult. If you are happy with £100, so be it. Personally, I would hit them as hard as I could. What has happened, in the eyes of the law, is serious. Npower should treat it as such and pay a more realistic sum in compensation. I doubt whether refusing to pay unless they can offset the compensation against your energy bill would be lawful, in the circumstances you describe.

If Npower keep insisting they can only credit compensation to your energy bill, ask them where, in law, it says they are entitled to do so, in cases of them trespassing in your home and demanding money you do not owe. Any further nonsense from them, consider going to the press and broadcast media, as well as the regulator, OFGEM.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi thanks for the excellent reply and info, the Bailiff didnt mention the court, he did say he was from the litigation department? Im going to email them back stating exactly what you suggest, as well as asking for more compensation as they apparently do not realise the distressing error they have made even though admiting it was their mistake.
      A big thank you, will keep the site updated.
      Gill x

Comment

A bailiff cannot act without authority from a court. If he called himself a bailiff and he did not have any lawful authority from a court, then he may have committed a number of criminal offence and so may Npower.

Before firing off an email/letter to Npower, could you please give a detailed account of what happened from the time you opened the door to this person to the time he left, including what was said. The reason I am asking you to do this is to establish just what Npower and their employee have done and what can be pinned on them.

Thank you.

BB
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Hi
          This is the origiansl email I posted to n power - regarding the visit.
          I have also attached part of n powers responce beneath.

Dear Paul Massara

I am writing to you for your help and the reasons why a Mr.xxxxxxxx a warrant and litigation officer visited my home yesterday, the 8th of February, at approximately 4.30 p.m.

I have raised my concerns with N power customer services both yesterday and also today, on both occasions no reasoning or apology was given.
          When speaking to customer services yesterday. I was told a direct debit had been set up for both electricity and gas, and I will receive conformation through the post.

I contacted n power today at 4.20 to find out why Mr. xxxxx had entered my property with the intention of demanding money. Once again no reason given, had no idea this had occurred. To make matters worse the lady I spoke to said she couldn’t find any details with regards my direct debit had been set up.

So I will give you the details of what happened on the 8thof fob

I opened the door toMr. K xxxxx, he said iv come to read your electric meter, he then said iv come to collect the outstanding debt owed on your electricity account, I am a warrant and litigation officer (at the time I had no idea what this was)it has to be paid in full today.
          I questioned this and suggested he contacted n power as there is no outstanding amount. It was in full on the 21stof January.

He did, this was confirmed and he left. I received no apology from any area of your company. This happened during our tea time with my family who witnessed everything.

This experience has caused a lot of upset, distress and embarrassment to me and husband, who had only just returned from hospital, and is recovering from a serious illness.

Before I take this matter further I ask what are your intentions on stopping this happening to other customers, especially those who have been with you for ten years plus.

Also how do you intend to compensate me for this unnecessary and upsetting display of incompetence of N power, you company.

Please give this your most urgent attention.

N POWERS first reply

I don’t believe your account warranted a visit from one of our representatives and for this reason I would like to offer you a goodwill gesture of £40.00 for the level of service you have received.

Once again I would like to apologise for the inconvenience that has been caused and most of all I would like to offer you my sincere apology on behalf of npower and the representative that attended your property. As stated above I feel the visit was not necessary and could have been postponed.

Thanks you Bluebottle for your advice.
          Gill x
          Last edited by gillwall; 24th April 2013, 15:44:PM.

Comment

Hi Bluebottle
            Have you had chance to establish just what Npower and their employee have done and what can be pinned on them.
            Many thanks
            Gill x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X