• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My mums HP car was clamped by Jacobs baliffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My mums HP car was clamped by Jacobs baliffs

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
    Working as an independent party - absolute drivel.
    Where the hell did they find that one? Unfortunately as we know, the council are liable for any action of any third party acting on their behalf.
    Last edited by labman; 5th September 2013, 23:43:PM.

Comment

A couple of observations -

1. The OP would be better submitting any communications to Eric Pickles through his constituency MP. That way, the correspondence is less likely to be intercepted by civil servants at the Department for Communities & Local Government.

2. Alleged DVLA checks by bailiffs can be confirmed or disproved by approaching DVLA's Data Access Unit and asking if any enquiries have been made in respect of the vehicle in question during the last six months. Do not ask who made any enquiries, at present, just ask if any enquiries have been made.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks you Bluebottle and Bizzybob
        I will contact my MP - do I ask him to pass the complaint to Eric Pickles?
        Will contact DVLA on Tuesday and see if any checks have been made.
        However, the council are adamant they have nothing to do with the bailiffs and seem to be encouraging me to complaint to the LGO, which worries me.

Comment

I will ask my MP to take the complaint to Eric Pickles as suggested.
          Can I take action against the council for their employee pretending to review my case as an employee of the council and hence me trusting him with data/info only for him now to say he was "acting as an independent third party"?

Comment

Technically yes, but in reality, you'll get nowhere.

Comment

Quick update: My local MP has now agreed to take up my complaint with the council chief exec - will let you know of any developments.

Comment

Originally posted by nickc View Post
                Quick update: My local MP has now agreed to take up my complaint with the council chief exec - will let you know of any developments.
                Good let's hope the MP gives the council and Jacobs a good tolchocking over this.

Comment

We'll watch with interest, and see what explanation they give to your MP.:beagle:

Comment

Hi All,

My MP replied to my complaint on September 11 and claimed to have forwarded it to my council chief exec - even though I asked him to take it up with Eric Pickles.
                    I have not heard anything from either of them since.
                    I have now had it confirmed from the DVLA that Jacobs did carry out an HP check on the vehicle - in fact they carried out 5 checks - and still clamped a car that was under a finance agreement between Renault and my mum. ( I am only the registered Keeper)
                    I've made a formal complaint to Jacobs, Trading Standards, my council (two reviews) and now my MP.
                    Jacobs continue to add fees even though the council have confirmed to them I had no ownership of the vehicle.
                    Will progress with the MP unless anyone has any bright thoughts regarding a different direction
                    Even though I don't seem to be getting very far, it is an absolutely fascinating process to discover, how in reality, the people supposed to be governing the conduct of bailiffs are hopelessly ineffective.
                    No wonder this guy clamped the vehicle - he must have known his actions were unlawful - but he also must have known 99% of people who do complaint don't get anywhere and give up in disgust.
                    Thanks to everyone on this forum for their advice and encouragement and will keep you all updated.

Comment

Originally posted by nickc View Post
                      Hi All,

My MP replied to my complaint on September 11 and claimed to have forwarded it to my council chief exec - even though I asked him to take it up with Eric Pickles. Sounds like they're giving the council a chance to hang themselves before they get Eric Pickles involved.
                      I have not heard anything from either of them since.
                      I have now had it confirmed from the DVLA that Jacobs did carry out an HP check on the vehicle - in fact they carried out 5 checks - and still clamped a car that was under a finance agreement between Renault and my mum. ( I am only the registered Keeper) If Jacobs have been told the vehicle is subject to finance and owned by a third party, they cannot remove it and neither can they charge any fees. If they try to assert any right to enforce such fees, that is the point at which they cross the line between legality and illegality.
                      I've made a formal complaint to Jacobs, Trading Standards, my council (two reviews) and now my MP.
                      Jacobs continue to add fees even though the council have confirmed to them I had no ownership of the vehicle. See above comment, but Jacobs need to be put on notice that you are only liable for lawful fees. If Jacobs claim their fees are lawful, they will surely hang themselves.
                      Will progress with the MP unless anyone has any bright thoughts regarding a different direction
                      Even though I don't seem to be getting very far, it is an absolutely fascinating process to discover, how in reality, the people supposed to be governing the conduct of bailiffs are hopelessly ineffective. Try inadequately-trained or managers who are following an agenda other than that laid down by the councillors.
                      No wonder this guy clamped the vehicle - he must have known his actions were unlawful - but he also must have known 99% of people who do complaint don't get anywhere and give up in disgust. Certificate bailiffs rely on people not knowing the law. However, through forums, like Legal Beagles, people are becoming better-informed. And, boy, does it piss-off the bailiffs.
                      Thanks to everyone on this forum for their advice and encouragement and will keep you all updated.
                      BB
                      BB
                      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

nickc - any update on this? am trying to help a friend in a similar situation as far as the council being of equid disposition......... thanks

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
                          i went through two reviews with the council and didn't get very far although for the past four years I never heard from Jacobs... Up until now!
                          The clamping of my mums car was due to allegedly unpaid parking tickets, 10 of them.
                          so last week, 4 years or so since these tickets were issued I received debt collection letters from another firm ( I presume the various actions I had taken had dealt with the issue at the time but it seems Jacobs have sold on the debt.
                          Would be grateful for any advice about these debt collections letters coming so late bearing in mind how old the case is
                          thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                            How odd BB? I have had a badge for donkeys years (they were orange to start with) and I have never once been asked for any car details. I have just done my renewal and didn't get asked.
                            I recently within last 2months renewed my blue badge, they did ask for the most commen vehicle reg, but as mentioned, the blue badge is actually tied to user not the vehicle. I believe that the change is an attempt to stamp ut fraud.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X