• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cpr31.14 ignored, help needed with embarrassed devence...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cpr31.14 ignored, help needed with embarrassed devence...

Hi All, second post on Legal Beagles and would value any input on my next actions.

Ill summerise in short the history of my case and what I have done so far....

I received a court notice on 23/03 from Cap quests Solicitors about a debt dating back to 2002. I initially thought that the debt is statute barred, however I now believe that I attempted to enter into a payment plan through payplan in 2008 and made payments towards the debt so now this does not comply with the requirements of when a debt is statute barred.

The amount claimed has more than tripled in interest. The original debt was an unsecured loan.

The issue I have is that I have no records of this debt at all, especially with the age of the debt. SO my research started.

Below is a quick time line of what I have happened and what I have done.

23 March - Court letter received
    26 March - acknowledgment of service filed and stated that I intend to defend claim fully.
    27 March - CPR 31.14 send by registered post to CQ solicitors by registered mail. (Copy of CPR attached)
    27 March - Section 77 Request including postal order send to CQ by resisted mail (Copy of Section 77 atached)
    28 March CPR 31.13 signed for and received as per Royal Mails website
    28 March Section 77 signed for and received as per Royal Mails website

I have had no response for my CPR request and the section and time runs out for section 77 this week (Also noting so far)

I need help with my next actions please. I believe that I need to file an embarrassed defense on the grounds that I have not been provided with the requested information to prepare my defense?

Here is what I am thinking of using, could somebody please have a loot at this and advice?

Many thanks in advance with your help .

I, xxxx xxxxxx from xxxxxxxxx am the Defendant in this action and make the following statement as my Defence to the Claim made by Capquest.

1. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia: -

2. The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim disclose no legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the Defendant as the Claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 16. In this regard I wish to draw the Courts attention to the following matters;

a) The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to; the method the Claimant calculated any outstanding sums due, or any other matters necessary to substantiate the Claimant's claim.

b) A copy of the purported written agreement that the Claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought, has not been served attached to the claim form.

c) A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, and proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged accounts, has not been served attached to the Claim Form.

3. On receipt of the Claim Form the Defendant sent a CPR 31.14 request for a copy of the agreement and supporting documents which forms the basis of this claim

4. The documents requested were, in addition to the agreement as above, statements or statement of account showing how the balance claimed has accrued, a copy of the Default Notice, the Termination Notice and the Notice of Assignment. To date no response has been received from the Claimant.

5. It has been confirmed via the Royal Mail Website that the above letter was received and signed for.

6. Consequently, I deny all allegations on the Particulars of Claim and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof

7. I respectfully request a stay in proceedings until such time as the Claimant complies with the requests outlined in paragraphs 3 and 4 above or until the Court orders its compliance with the same. I will then be in a position to file a fully particularised Defence and Counterclaim and will seek the Court’s permission to amend my statement of case accordingly.

Statement of Truth

I, xxxxx believe the above statement to be true and factual.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: Cpr31.14 ignored, help needed with embarrassed devence...

NO.

Do not enter a defence. There is no point in doing a 31.14 request if you don't follow through. They haven't complied so you need to get them to comply.

Phone them up and ask for the claim handler. Ask when you'll get compliance (28 days maximum is the rule so if they say 28 days after we send stuff tell them to do one). Confirm the 28 day extension at the same time (then inform the court of such including the date). Tell them if you need to apply to the court for an extension and/or compliance with CPR duties then you'll seek the costs.

How can you defend if you don't have the details of the case ? If you can defend why did you ask for documents ?

Confirm the details of the call to them via email as if you need to seek an unless order you'll need evidence that you have sought compliance and are seeking the order as a last resort due to persistent failings of the creditor.

M1

Comment

Hi, I'm no expert but this thread might help its pretty similar and worth a read for times dates and general advice, obviously wait until more knowledgable members of the forum gives advice but worth a quick read.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ow-Global-MBNA

Comment

Originally posted by safferguy View Post
        I have had no response for my CPR request and the section and time runs out for section 77 this week (Also noting so far)

I need help with my next actions please. I believe that I need to file an embarrassed defense on the grounds that I have not been provided with the requested information to prepare my defense?
        You may want to look at what PT2537 has written elsewhere with regards to embarrassed defences:
        The Whitebook has a very helpful piece on holding Defences. It states

Quote:
        Holding defence

A defendant cannot legitimately obtain more time for preparing their defence by filing the so-called “holding defence” such as “I deny this debt: full defence to follow”. Such a defence does not comply with Pt 16 (contents of defence). A defence which consists of a bare denial
        may be struck out under r.3.4 (see Practice Direction supplementing r.3.4 , para.1.6, see above para.3PD.1). Indeed on the filing of such a defence a court officer may refer it to a judge and the court may strike it out on its own initiative (see rr.3.2 and 3.3 ).
        So if you file a holding defence instead of pleading your defence properly then you will be putting yourself at risk of an application from the Claimant to strike out your Defence or you may find the Court makes an order of its own motion and strikes you out.

It is important that if you can prepare a defence then you do so. It is also equally important in my view that you use the rules to secure the information that is necessary for you to be able to prepare a defence to the Claim.

Comment

Hi There and thanks you for your response.

I have to admit I am a bit out of my depth here...

Everything I have done so far has been based on my CPR request as I do not have any documents and as such cant defend myself in any way. From what I have gathered the correct procedure would be:

CPR request
          If no compliance then embarrassed defense to force them to comply
          If still no compliance then request that the case be struck out.

From your post I gather I can ask for a 28 day extension? Do I ask an extension from the court or with the solicitors of CQ?

Thanks for your assistance, it is appreciated

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
          NO.

Do not enter a defence. There is no point in doing a 31.14 request if you don't follow through. They haven't complied so you need to get them to comply.

Phone them up and ask for the claim handler. Ask when you'll get compliance (28 days maximum is the rule so if they say 28 days after we send stuff tell them to do one). Confirm the 28 day extension at the same time (then inform the court of such including the date). Tell them if you need to apply to the court for an extension and/or compliance with CPR duties then you'll seek the costs.

How can you defend if you don't have the details of the case ? If you can defend why did you ask for documents ?

Confirm the details of the call to them via email as if you need to seek an unless order you'll need evidence that you have sought compliance and are seeking the order as a last resort due to persistent failings of the creditor.

M1

Comment

Hi Emma,

Thanks you for the link. I read it and as you mentioned, it follows a simmilar time line. The only thing is they seem to use a holding defense and not an embarrassed defense. I have to admit I dont know the difference between the two and dont know what one is better in my case?

I will do a bit of research, but would also welcome any opinions?

Originally posted by emma123 View Post
            Hi, I'm no expert but this thread might help its pretty similar and worth a read for times dates and general advice, obviously wait until more knowledgable members of the forum gives advice but worth a quick read.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ow-Global-MBNA

Comment

Hi Flaming Parrot, thank you for your input.

It would appear from your post that you suggest an embarrassed defense might be a better option than a holing defense?

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
              You may want to look at what PT2537 has written elsewhere with regards to embarrassed defences:

Comment

I would look at representation if you feel you are out of your depth. PM Celestine as she works for a company that has had pretty good results in consumer credit liigation. It won't cost you to enquire and even if it's not an option financially (remember it is hard up people that usually are clients) then you don't lose anything for a free enquiry.

Either way phone them and get your 28 day extension for filing your defence as it could be costly to enter a defence that you need to amend.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by safferguy View Post
                  Hi Flaming Parrot, thank you for your input.

It would appear from your post that you suggest an embarrassed defense might be a better option than a holing defense?
                  No, that wasn't the suggestion at all, the idea is that you should use the relevant processes to get the necessary documents to enable you to put forward a proper defence as opposed to an embarrassed or holding defence.

As M1 says above, if you are out of your depth, you should seek legal advice.

www.qualitysolicitors.com/howlettclarke

You could PM Cel or PT2537.
                  Last edited by Celestine; 2nd September 2013, 15:36:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X