• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Portfolio/ Drydens Fairfax Solicitors Claim Form

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell Portfolio/ Drydens Fairfax Solicitors Claim Form

Hi all,

I am self employed and like most of us struggling to make ends meet.

I often struggle to purchase parts needed for jobs and at the end of last year stupidly got a Vanquis credit card to buy parts when I am short of money.

I was getting on OK and paying it off days after using it but work then took a big nosedive just in time for Christmas, and I used my credit card to get me through on the hope that things would improve in the new year.

Things haven't improved much, and I am now stuck with a £571 debt which I cannot pay off. With everything else I have to pay out I just buried my head in the sand and now I have a county court claim form from Drydens Fairfax Solicitors acting on behalf of Lowell Group for Northampton County Court, with solicitors costs making the total up to £696.72.

I am not up on these things, but I am basically wondering how best to deal with this situation, do they normally accept very small instalments or is there any way I can make this process easier to manage, as I am in a bit of a financial mess at the moment, extremely worried, as I can barely afford heating and food.

Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by SammyC; 11th April 2013, 11:34:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell Portfolio/ Drydens Fairfax Solicitors Claim Form

Yes, your financial circumstances would very much be taken into consideration. You can ask for manageable monthly repayments based on a Income & Expenditure form filed with the Court.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by SammyC View Post
      I am now stuck with a £571 debt which I cannot pay off. With everything else I have to pay out I just buried my head in the sand and now I have a county court claim form from Drydens Fairfax Solicitors acting on behalf of Lowell Group for Northampton County Court, with solicitors costs making the total up to £696.72.

I am not up on these things, but I am basically wondering how best to deal with this situation, do they normally accept very small instalments or is there any way I can make this process easier to manage, as I am in a bit of a financial mess at the moment
      If you're certain you haven't got a defence to this claim ( and it looks unlikely ) you can ask the solicitor if they'll agree to a repayment schedule and record the settlement details in a Tomlin Order (or a consent order) so you won't have to go to court and you won't get a CCJ recorded on your credit file

Comment

Thanks a lot guys.

Out of interest, what would constitute me having a defence? I applied online via a tick box application and never signed anything, that's all I can think of!

Comment

I'm now actually unsure who this debt is from, it appears it may be from a catalogue order from years ago.

I have applied for a CCA from Drydens, do I need to notify the court I am waiting for this?

I know about the acknowledgement of service form, but the only options on there are to apply for more time in order to defend the claim or admit it, how do I know which of these options I want until I know what evidence Drydens have?

Many thanks.
          Last edited by SammyC; 12th April 2013, 06:34:AM.

Comment

Morning

You can write to Dryden's making a CPR 31.14 request for all documents mentioned in their claim form. You can also ask for an extension of time to file a defence pending receipt of these documents. (Max 28 days in addition to usual timescales)

Dear Sirs,

I request disclosure of documents referred to in your claim, pursuant to CPR 31.14.

1. Copy Agreement dated XX
            2. Default Notice dated XX
            etc

I require inspection of these documents ahead of filing the defence on, so I request that they are provided to us within 7 days.

If you are unable to provide the required documents within 7 days, please let me know by return whether you can agree an extension of time to lodge a defence until 4pm on the XX XXX 2013. If this cannot be agreed I will apply for an extension and will request costs be ordered in our favour. This letter will be referred to in such application.

Yours faithfully,

SammyC
            Last edited by Celestine; 12th April 2013, 08:25:AM.
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Good morning,

Thanks a lot, is this request the same request which requires me to send a £1 postal order aswell? Also, who am I asking for more time, the court or Dryden's or both?

Pardon my ignorance, but I am new to this and very confused!

Comment

No, because you have received a claim form, you don't need to do a CCA request (£1). The request pursuant to CPR31.14 is appropriate now because proceedings have been issued.

You are asking Drydens for more time, but if they agree, (and they should if docs are outstanding) it is up to you to inform the Court with a letter such as this:
                Dear Sirs

Re XX v SammyC

Claim number XXXXXX

I write to advise the Court we have agreed pursuant to CPR Rule 15.5 an extension with the Claimant for filing the Defendants Defence.

The Defence will now be due on XX XXX 2013.

Please ensure that no requests for judgment are entertained until after this date

Regards
                SammyC

Comment

Can you post up the wording of your claim form please?

Comment

Thanks a lot, this is the wording:

"Particulars of claim.

1. The claim is in the sum of 571.72 in respect of monies owing by the defendant on a credit agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974, originally taken with Shop direct, under account number XXXXXXXX. The defendant failed to maintain the contractual payments in respect of the agreement and a default notice has been served upon the defendant and not complied with.

2. The debt was legally assigned to the claimant by Shop Direct and a notice of assignment was served upon the defendant. The debt is therefore properly owing to the claimant.

3. The claimant also claims statutory interest pursuant to the section 69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum becoming a daily rate of 0.12427, from termination of the agreement to the date of issue (to) being and amount of 4.72."

Comment

Cool, so you need to ask for agreement, default notice and assignment notice.

When was the card started?

Comment

Well that's the thing, I am now unsure what the debt relates to. It could be a catalogue from several years back (around 2009) or a Vanquis card from late last year.

I now actually believe it to be the catalogue, as Vanquis is quite recent and they are still trying to contact me by phone every day, suggesting they are still in the early stages of collecting the money. 'Shop Direct' also sounds more like a catalogue company.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyC View Post
                          I often struggle to purchase parts needed for jobs and at the end of last year stupidly got a Vanquis credit card to buy parts when I am short of money. . . .

. . . I was getting on OK and paying it off days after using it but work then took a big nosedive just in time for Christmas, and I used my credit card to get me through on the hope that things would improve in the new year. . . .

Things haven't improved much, and I am now stuck with a £571 debt which I cannot pay off. With everything else I have to pay out I just buried my head in the sand and now I have a county court claim form from Drydens Fairfax Solicitors acting on behalf of Lowell Group for Northampton County Court, with solicitors costs making the total up to £696.72
                          This is looking better So it's not for your Vanquis card.

Since the Claimant hasn't put the date of the agreement on the POC maybe leave that out of your CPR 31.14 request so they can't create a recon using your information :wink: If they knew the date this account was opened they would have put it on the claim form wouldn't they :doh: Maybe they don't know the date because they haven't got your credit agreement.

Ditto the DN

Comment

Thank you very much.

So to summarise, I will request the docs from Drydens, then do I need to tick a box in the court's acknowledgement of service or just override that with a letter to the court?

Comment

More likely to be the Shop Direct card, Lowell definitely buy their debts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X