• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New home, new baby, NEW PROBLEMS!! :(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New home, new baby, NEW PROBLEMS!! :(

Hiya folks, hope you're all doin' well. I was wondering if maybe some of you could give me a bit of advice...

Ok. I live in Scotland (think its important to mention that as I'm sure laws etc are different for here). Me and my partner are officially moving in together. We have been together 3 years and have 2 children (wee girl at 18 months and a wee boy who was born last month). I have my own flat and Liam has been living with his 74 year old great uncle. We applied for a house in Ayrshire (currently living in Lanarkshire) and were offered a 3 bedroom maisonette within 2 WEEKS OF APPLYING!! Great news! However, the housing association that is now our landlord is who I used to rent a bedsit off back in 2005/2008. The problem here is that I left the property without giving written notice (mental illness was the reason here). I had built up some rent arrears and some council tax arrears. I am being asked to fill in my details on the housing benefit form for this new property as Liams partner as he is the main applicant. To cut a long story short, I would like to find out if my past debt will be flagged when I provide them with my national insurance number etc and if so, will it affect my rights? I am not a joint tenant (as of yet) and technically I am only down on paper as Liams partner and as moving in with him. Its all really confusing! Just having given birth doesnt help either I was considering swapping digits in my NINO to avoid being caught out until I can repay what I owe (currently on Income Support after being shafted out of an appeal for a failed ESA medical). If any of you puppies can help me out here I will be forever in your debt! Infact, no. I take that back. I am in enough debt lol I will however be very grateful!!

L
    Tags: None

Re: New home, new baby, NEW PROBLEMS!!

Hi and welcome, I will congratulate on the birth of your baby and also that you are now going to move in with your partner.
    On the downside the council tax you owe will never be statute barred so time scale means nothing they can still chase you for the debt.
    No good trying to mislead them imho it will only add to the problems you already have as it will always be there at the back of your mind and I should imagine you would be in more trouble if you were found out that what you are in now.
    I would give your details as asked for and see what happens, if they do flag up your debt they can not get blood from a stone and will only be able to accept from you what you can afford.
    If you are in a lot of debt as you suggested then please have a read around the forum you may just pick up some help along the way, or ask if you have a specific problem you need help with.
    Enaid x

Comment

Re: New home, new baby, NEW PROBLEMS!!

Welcome from one Scot to another who has 'been there and done that' with regard to financial worries and becoming a new mum. I am sure a lot had to do with my hormones playing havoc (it lead to me being treated for PND). I read somewhere fairly recently that 90% of things that we worry about amount to nothing. As I get older I realise that is true!

Be honest with your housing association and try not to worry unduly. Enjoy your family unit, kids grow so fast.

Sorry I can't give you any more practical advice than that.

Take care
      Ruby x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X