• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Need Help! ASAP! Performance Improvement Plan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help! ASAP! Performance Improvement Plan

I need some advice. I was put on a 90 day PIP in January, it end April 5th. I am actively interviewing for other jobs and do not plan on staying however, I cannot afford to be unemployed. I work for a very large very major corporation. My manager is new as of June last year and quite honestly I have been working in what I now can deem a hostile work environment since then. The majority of our team is looking for new jobs and positions to get out.
    Here is my issue:
    While on this PIP, I have had PERFECT performance. I really did believe I could get through this. And when I say perfect I stand behind it. However in the last 2 weeks I had a couple occurances where I was in late one day and left early another. The day I left early I gave my manager notice and he 'approved' eventhough he never acknowledged my email. I came into work early that day and left an hour early. A week later I was in a minor fender bender and was an hour late, however I stayed late that day to cover my time lost. My manager subsequently has asked for documentation of these incidents! I showed him my dental invoice (the day I exited early) and an information exchange form for my fender bender. I overheard him trying to validate the accident on the phone and followed up myself. Apparently there wasnt an accident report filed, I have no idea what went on after I left the scene, the woman and cop were still conversing, can he force me to materialize more information? From what I understand it can take weeks for a termination to be approved so I think that I have time to get another position elsewhere, I am just trying to find the appropriate response to our upcoming weekly 1:1 knowing that he is going to ask about how he followed up on this incident. I dont think I should have given him anything in the first place.....but I felt like I had no choice. I will not disclose the other drivers information and am not sure what the officers name was, it wasnt legible on the paper. What can I say? I felt pressured to comply even though I am sharing my personal information and the other persons personal information. I dont think he has grounds to ask more, I feel that if he wants to 'ding' me for this incident then ok. But what do I say, how do I deal with this?

Please help!!! Thank you.
    Last edited by lmisch; 8th March 2013, 17:43:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Need Help! ASAP! Performance Improvement Plan

The manager is perfectly entitled to require proof of what you say, regardless of whether there are performance issues or not. If you weren't in work when you were expected to be, regardless of making time up, he has a right to evidence as to why you weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by lmisch View Post
      From what I understand it can take weeks for a termination to be approved so I think that I have time to get another position elsewhere,
      Uhmm, one day I went out to lunch, when I got back I was dragged into a little room, interrogated Gestapo style and handed a suspension letter along with an invitation to a disciplinary the following day! The disciplinary letter said you had to have at least 24 hrs notice and it said the disciplinary would take place the day after at 1pm, it was after 4pm at the time so they had to make it Monday. I did manage to drag it out an get paid for a further couple of months but that was thanks to the intervention of a friend of a friend, they expected to be rid of me the day after. It was also a very large corporation.
      Originally posted by lmisch View Post
      I am just trying to find the appropriate response to our upcoming weekly 1:1 knowing that he is going to ask about how he followed up on this incident. I dont think I should have given him anything in the first place.....but I felt like I had no choice. I will not disclose the other drivers information and am not sure what the officers name was, it wasnt legible on the paper. What can I say? I felt pressured to comply even though I am sharing my personal information and the other persons personal information.I dont think he has grounds to ask more, I feel that if he wants to 'ding' me for this incident then ok. But what do I say, how do I deal with this?

Please help!!! Thank you.
      IMHO, you have already provided enough information and proof about the incident, you were an hour late for work, you're not trying to prove an alibi for a criminal offence! And you're right, if they wanted to get rid of you they'd find a good excuse. :rant:

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
        Uhmm, one day I went out to lunch, when I got back I was dragged into a little room, interrogated Gestapo style and handed a suspension letter along with an invitation to a disciplinary the following day! The disciplinary letter said you had to have at least 24 hrs notice and it said the disciplinary would take place the day after at 1pm, it was after 4pm at the time so they had to make it Monday. I did manage to drag it out an get paid for a further couple of months but that was thanks to the intervention of a friend of a friend, they expected to be rid of me the day after. It was also a very large corporation.
        IMHO, you have already provided enough information and proof about the incident, you were an hour late for work, you're not trying to prove an alibi for a criminal offence! And you're right, if they wanted to get rid of you they'd find a good excuse. :rant:
        You really have an unfortunate choice in employers, don't you?

But sorry - it is for the employer to decide what is adequate evidence of the reason for their lateness, and given the OP's circumstances it would be foolish to invite any further trouble by refusing to co-operate. Just ask what evidence they need and provide it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X