• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita Bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equita Bailiffs

Hello everyone!
    I'm new, and at my wit's end.
    I have been having money trouble for years, I recieve Widowed Mother's Allowance and work part time weekend nights...I also have a slight disability and can't walk very far so I really need my car!
    I October last year I had a visit from Equita, who levied on my car and threatened to remove it (car is worth about £200), this is for council tax debt of about £3,500 altogether, I know, stupid me but things just got out of control.
    I managed to borrow £500 from my mother in law, and Equita agreed to that and £25 per week, starting on the 27th November.
    I have paid this religously.
    However, I am still getting constant letters, and have had two doorstep visits.
    One was about 6 weeks ago, I showed the bailiff the agreement, she said that she knew I had been paying but it "wasn't enough" and she could take my car regardless. Then when I argued this she said she would contact the office and phone me, but I never heard from her after.
    Today I had a visit from a different bailiff, also from Equita, I was out but they pushed a removal notice through my letterbox.
    I just don't know what to do....In the last 3 months I have had about twenty letters and two doorstep visits, despite my keeping to the agreement.
    Can anyone please help or advise me?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Equita

Have you read our bailiff guide yet Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Have you let the bailiff into your house at any time?

You should probably send off the Subject Access Request letter from the bailiff guide because you need to find out the reason for these fees.

Comment

Thank you!
      Yes I have read the Bailiff Guide, but I'm still puzzled because I am sticking to the agreement.
      They haven't been in my house, but levied on my car, which to be honest is worth nothing like the debt.
      I have asked for a breakdown of charges (this was when the whole thing first started in October) but I haven't had this...I haven't tried phoning this bailiff because to be honest I am just not able to cope. I'm not normally this feeble but I do have a lot on my plate at the moment.
      I really thought that if I kept up with the payments they would leave me alone.
      I just can't seem to think straight right now.

Comment

You are not be feeble at all, you are being very sensible.

Most of the time if you merely ask nicely for a breakdown of charges, they will not provide one. However, if you formally request a breakdown by way of a Subject Access Request, they will have no choice but to comply.

You are correct, if you keep to the payments and in particular because you haven't allowed them entry to your property, there is little they can do. This is why they are visiting you - they are trying to force your hand and scare you into paying them more because you are keeping to your repayment schedule, therefore, they can't make any money out of you.

Comment

Thanks!
          Is the subject access request the one that costs £10?
          Also, will they take my car, even though it is pretty worthless? I reall can't get to work without it, and if I can't get to work I'm really in the mire!

Comment

The thing with seizing a car is it causes so much inconvenience and upset that it often results in a swift payment - if at all possible, park it a little way from your house for the time being.

Yes, the SAR does cost £10, but it's well worth the money.

Comment

Ok thanks, I'll do that as soon as I can.
              As for the car, how long will I have to hide it for?
              I am paying as agreed, this seem incredibly unfair...if they take that they can't get paid at all...I will be out of work!

Comment

To be honest, I think once you start to fight back and once they receive the SAR, they will realise you can't be pushed around and that you know what they're doing is wrong.

They will more than likely concentrate move on to their next soft target. If they do not, then come back here for more help and advice.

Comment

Thanks Amy, I'll bear that in mind...I don't like bullies and can generally fight my own battles but I feel like I'm in a bit of a fog here!
                  I will get the SAR off next payday!
                  Thanks again xx

Comment

We don`t like bullies either and the fog will clear, just you see.

xx

Comment

Originally posted by teasle1956 View Post
                      Thanks Amy, I'll bear that in mind...I don't like bullies and can generally fight my own battles but I feel like I'm in a bit of a fog here!
                      I will get the SAR off next payday!
                      Thanks again xx
                      Just a couple of points. DON'T send a cheque for your £10 SAR fee, use a postal order otherwise you are giving the bailiffs your bank account details and secondly be totally and positively clear that the £10 is for a Subject Access Request and NOT £10 off your debt. Be Strong
                      If you do what you always do, you will always get what you always get!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X