• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hate The Government

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate The Government

Im a single mom of 3, i have had a bailiff knock on my door this evening asking for the full amount to paid by friday morning, giving me 1 day to find the funds which is a ridiculous amount of time. i dont claim any benefits as i was told i couldn't have my children's dad stay over 2 nights per week to help me with the kids. so my benefits were stopped. i cannot afford to pay the debt in full and cannot find it by friday, the bailiff said he would be coming back for the money or he would be taking my belongings. my debt has gone through court without me being informed, i was told a letter had been sent to me but i never received it. what can i do to get this bailiff off my back. i haven't allowed him access in.
    Tags: None

Re: council tax bailiffs

Have you had a read of this http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax

Comment

Yes, so do i just not let him in on friday then, im going down the council to see if they will take the debt back. If they don't where do i stand?? how do i go about paying them installments rather than the full sum in 1 go?? They are very intimidating

Comment

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
        2 - the dates they were obtained
        3 - the addresses they were for
        4 - the period of time each covers
        5 - how much each one was for
        6 - how much is still outstanding
        7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
        8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Comment

Ok thank you, what do i do with the information once they've told me?

Comment

Im sure Bluebottle will come on and give some excellent advice but if you feel that that the bailiffs are a threat to you and the children dial 999 scream and shout down the phone and get the police noone but noone in your position should be intimidated and and scared by bailiffs

Comment

Originally posted by HateTheGovernment View Post
              Yes, so do i just not let him in on friday then, im going down the council to see if they will take the debt back. If they don't where do i stand?? how do i go about paying them installments rather than the full sum in 1 go?? They are very intimidating
              The Council will refuse to take it back and tell you to deal with the Bailiff. You pay the Council direct using online banking, Council website or automated phone service. Ignore the Bailiff, do not answer the door, if you must speak to him do it through the letter box or from an upstairs window. Whatever happens do not allow him in, he does not need to ring his granny, take any pills with a drink or use the loo. His job is to bully and intimidate and as long as you prevent him gaining entry or making a levy on goods outside then he is powerless.

He will have you believe he can force entry, get the Police to assist him, get a locksmith to let him in. He will try to tell you that you will be arrested, imprisoned and any other manner of things. He can do none of this.

Comment

Does it make a difference that it has gone through court, as hes saying he can obtain a warranty in to my house through the courts? The company is bristow and sutor.. shall i just start paying my debt off to the council if i have no joy of them tomorrow. how long will the bailiff keep hounding me for. its so stressfull my eldest son is disabled and i have two small babies i just want this over with. i can afford £100 per month does this seem reasonable it £1000 debt.
                Thank you all your advice is starting to lift a big weight of my shoulders.

Comment

Firstly ignore the bailiffs, do not them into your property. If you have a vehicle, move it a few streets away so it cannot be levied on. As long as you can keep the position to this, the most the bailiff will ever be able to charge you is £42.50.

Secondly, find the answers to Ploddertom's questions in post number 4 and post the answers up here. Phone the council first thing in the morning if you can to do this.

Thirdly, work out an amount you can afford to pay towards the debt each week. It needs to be affordable and sustainable in the medium to long term. Start paying this as per post 7, and pay it religiously, the same amount, the same day, week after week without fail. Do not pay a day late or you will cause yourself potentially bigger problems than you have at present.

I look forward to reading the answers to the questions from post 4.

Comment

I also wanted to add that i havent heard off the council about the council tax, i didnt even have the letter to say they was taking me to court, surely the bailiffs should offer me to pay it off in installments first?

Comment

Ok im going down the council in person tomorrow, as soon as i have the answers i will post them.
                      Once again thank you

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        Im sure Bluebottle will come on and give some excellent advice but if you feel that that the bailiffs are a threat to you and the children dial 999 scream and shout down the phone and get the police noone but noone in your position should be intimidated and and scared by bailiffs
                        In theory a sound idea, the Police are only supposed to be there to prevent a breach of the peace. However the Bailiff will have him believe he is an Officer of the Court and persuade you to let him in!

Comment

Does it make a difference that it has gone through court, as hes saying he can obtain a warranty in to my house through the courts?
                          Rule No 1 - Bailiffs Lie or at the very minimum are economical with the truth

Rule No 2 - go to Rule No 1

Comment

its so stressfull my eldest son is disabled and i have two small babies i just want this over with.
                            This may be your key to all this. Are the Council & Bailiffs aware you have a disabled son - not being nosy but may I ask what? tell me to do one if you don,t want to say anything. How old is he & how old are your youngest. Sounds to me as if you have good chance of claiming being vulnerable in which case the Council should have no choice in taking your account back.

Comment

With your family circumstances have you considered asking the Council or local CAB if they have a Welfare Rights Adviser who may see if you are getting everything you are entitled to.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X