• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Holiday entitlement (in a pickle)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday entitlement (in a pickle)

Hello there!

I came to this website as I am in a bit of distress! I worked temporary for a company for 2 months from November to December working some 30-70 hour shifts and recently (in Jan) got a 5 hour working contract. The contract is for 5 hours per week on Saturday (I am unsure whether it specifies overtime compulsory) however I actually work 25-30 plus hours per week. To be more specific with the working hours my last 3 pay notes (given monthly) say I worked 118 hours (December), 192 hours Jan and 140 hours Feb pay note.

Now here's where it gets weird. My holidays went from 29 hours in December to 8 hours in Jan.. to 8 hours in Feb. It has to be said I have never taken a holiday in the past 4 months and a bit I have been working here. To me this is an absolute outrage, I work hard, do overtime when I can and always try my best at work. To be given these holidays is (to me) unethical and immoral given how much effort I am putting in.

I went to HR asking about the issue and they said because of my 5 hour contract my holiday hours changed... but this does not account for why I gain no holidays in the space of a month. I have discussed the issue and gotten vague answers every time. Nobody in this place seems to have any answers and so I have come here in dire need of assistance.

I had a feeling something suspicious was up when the manager came to me on the shop floor to sign the contract when I was busy. I didn't have much time to read it but asked why it was 5 hours. He told me to save on some paperwork... I figured it was odd but was just happy to finally get a contract!

Sorry for the rant lol... actually while we are on this topic is it legal for a manager to say stay till the work is done? Because me and a colleague (also a new guy) ended up doing a 19 hour shift to get the job done. We did it though haha!

Any suggestions? Decided to go into work tomorrow and sort this out.

Thankyou for your time
    Tags: None

Re: Holiday entitlement (in a pickle)

Hang on, you were on a temporary contract November and December, is that right? Was that temporary contract fixed or was it flexible?

Was it with a temp agency or with the company?
    I suspect you were eligible for holiday on the temp contract and effectively either lost it or was paid it because you did not take it.

The 8 hours is possibly per month ie pro rata or a day and a half for EACH month worked so by the end of this month you will have accrued 16 hours or 3 and a third days.

Eloise might be better in regards to that shift pattern of 19 hours but depends when you had the next shift after that stint as to whether there is any legal issues involved...
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I was on a temporary contract (flexible) from November to December. I worked different hours depending on when they needed me. Both contracts with the company. I was not paid for my holidays I have lost. My pay notes states Hours remaining 8.43 (top up 1.59) in jan and says exactly the same thing in Feb.

Also if it complicates the situation more someone who started the exact same time as me has 11 hours holiday, works less hours and doesn't have a contract.

Comment

Also with regards to the 19 hour shift thing we were working 4 10 hour shifts but the last one turned out to be 19. We got 2 days off after with it being the last day. Probably nothing wrong with that one, just concerned about how I worked 4 months going on 5 and ended up with 8 hours holiday pay to be honest haha

Comment

Is there any more information I can give that could help?

Comment

I can't quite explain this because there should be some holiday accrual, and it isn't clear why that isn't happening. But there is a trick. It's used a lot in retail. Holiday does not accrue on the number of hours worked - it accrues on basic hours worked. In other words, on your contractual hours. Everything else is "overtime" and holidays do not accrue on overtime. I think you might also find that you have taken holiday in the last four months. Because the last four months included three public holidays, and those are holidays!

Comment

I worked boxing day new years eve and new year.. plus Christmas eve lol Didn't work Christmas though! Though the shop isn't open on Christmas and I was not paid for it. So 21 hours vanished. Also I agree with the overtime does not count as accrual, but I still have not gained any holidays in the past month which is odd. So it is the case of the missing 21 hours holiday/ the missing holiday accrual over a month.

Here is what I was thinking about doing. I will check my contract to see if overtime is compulsory. If not I will say O.K. I will use my 5 hours on the Saturday. But as i am only contracted to work on a Saturday I will not come in Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday the coming week. Supposing my contract does not specify overtime compulsory I should be able to do that right? lol. If they want me to work 25-30 hour weeks like I do every week they can draw me up a contract for it! Or is that a terrible idea o.o

Comment

Also shouldn't there be something done against this whole thing retail is pulling? It's completely unethical!

Comment

Originally posted by joshwaa View Post
                  Here is what I was thinking about doing. I will check my contract to see if overtime is compulsory. If not I will say O.K. I will use my 5 hours on the Saturday. But as i am only contracted to work on a Saturday I will not come in Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday the coming week. Supposing my contract does not specify overtime compulsory I should be able to do that right? lol. If they want me to work 25-30 hour weeks like I do every week they can draw me up a contract for it! Or is that a terrible idea o.o
                  Absolutely, you can do all of that.

Shortly after which you should proceed straight to the pay office and collect your P45. You need two years continuous employment to gain employment protection.

Comment

Originally posted by joshwaa View Post
                    Also shouldn't there be something done against this whole thing retail is pulling? It's completely unethical!
                    It is not something retail is "pulling" - it is just common in retail. But yes, something should be done about it and no doubt the employees will get around to it eventually. Because the employees doing something about it is the only way something will happen.

Comment

Well cheers for the help guys! Was a nice educational lesson

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X