• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Written warning for absence - produced sick note

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Written warning for absence - produced sick note

Originally posted by rach321 View Post
    But if Im not allowed a pay rise, how can someone else get a promotion which includes a pay rise?!
    This one is a no brainer. By definition if they are promoted then they are in a higher position with a higher salary. Is that what you mean?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
      You are really not helping.
      Really?
      I'd hoped to be helping to spread illness throughout Simon Legree & Co.

Comment

But they are on a warning stopping them indefinitely from getting a pay rise/bonus. So it makes no sense to me how that is fair.

Comment

But they are on a warning stopping them indefinitely from getting a pay rise/bonus. So it makes no sense to me how that is fair.
          How do you know that they are on a warning?(I am assuming it should be confidential so if not then apologies).
          If they are on a warning then it should never be indefinitely but for a fixed period of time, ie does a warning end at some point?
          It should not stop them getting a pay rise if they get promotion but it may stop them getting bonuses if that is within the contract. It would be unfair if they did not get a pay rise as a result of a promotion to be honest, but that would be their concern rather than yourself.

Comment

Well, it is supposed to be confidential, however it was well known fact for whatever reasons I don't know. A warning lasts for 12 months, in that time a bonus or pay rise is a no-no. Applying for internal jobs is also techincally a big no as well, this depends on your manager I guess, but your sanction is supposed to be taken into account. Since here a promotion is considered a reward - as is a pay rise, I was just confused how that was allowed. *shrug*. All seems slightly corrupt to me!!!

Comment

How might their warning prevent them from being promoted to their respective level of incompetence?
              (cf The Peter Principle - link)

Comment

Well, it is supposed to be confidential, however it was well known fact for whatever reasons I don't know. A warning lasts for 12 months, in that time a bonus or pay rise is a no-no. Applying for internal jobs is also techincally a big no as well, this depends on your manager I guess, but your sanction is supposed to be taken into account. Since here a promotion is considered a reward - as is a pay rise, I was just confused how that was allowed. *shrug*. All seems slightly corrupt to me!!!
                They were probably too competent where they were.

Comment

They were never there!!

Comment

A promotion is not necessarily a reward but if the candidates that applied were not as qualified as the said individual then clearly they would have been promoted on the merits of their application. If they were promoted then they would receive a pay rise as befits the job role. They could hardly promote someone and then effectively say that their colleague who they may supervise is allowed to earn more money than them. That would be corrupt to be honest.

Comment

Here's your warning for 12 months, a sanction because you breached company policy, you're not allowed a pay rise or bonus as that is a reward. But hey, take a new job, you're an asset to the company. Urgh. Hate that place.

Comment

I have twice had to issue warnings to staff who have had doctors notes for every single day of absence. It's not just the total, it's how it's made up.
                        It was called a trigger system.

1 period of 5 day absence in a 3 month period OK,
                        3 separate periods of 3 days absence plus 1 day and then another day would trigger at the very least a review.
                        If two triggers occurred within a year, that would automatically result in a written warning. Options after that were Occ Health Review or Capabilities Assessment (Urghh). Not disciplinary though.

In one instance, issuing the written warning caused an aggravation in the chaps depression. No choice in the matter at all as Manager.
                        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

The thing is, the managers decide whether or not it to issue warnings. So I had to plead my case and it was in their hands (one specific manager). I had spoken to a solicitor just to see where I stood regarding my appeal. She doesn't think its right that they declined it and I should have had a right to one.

Comment

The thing is, the managers decide whether or not it to issue warnings. So I had to plead my case and it was in their hands (one specific manager). I had spoken to a solicitor just to see where I stood regarding my appeal. She doesn't think its right that they declined it and I should have had a right to one.
                            That is true in some situations, but if there is an formal 'absence trigger' system, then it wont have been in your managers hands. She will have been following a strict HR policy, otherwise it would be pointless having such a system in the first place.

I was able to use discretion in some situations but more often than not, I had to follow policy. What sector are you in?
                            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Retail, there is a procedure but they can phone a third party company for 'guidance' and then it is their discretion or so I was told by my rep.

Comment

There is an absolute - as soon as they start using "discretion" their policy is in tatters and the legal basis for it is shredded. There is only one possible use of discretion and that is disability.

Look, this is not that serious. It feels like it, but it isn't. It could be, but it isn't. What they are doing, many many employers are doing. It won't be better somewhere else. It could be worse. If you are worth it to them - they'll promote you. Draw a line. Fretting won't improve things. It won't make you any healthier either. This is bad luck. S**t happens! If you want that promotion - chase it!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X