• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA Requisition letter for change of keeper notification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Requisition letter for change of keeper notification

Hi guys,

First post on the forum so thanks for viewing & appreciate all replies in advance. Last year, I bought a car to sell from an auction and sent off the V5 form approximately 1 year ago. The DVLA didn't get it and followed up with another letter around 3-4 months afterwards, I also replied to this letter and again, another few months after I have got a letter from them with a court date in approx 2-3 weeks, a 'maximum penalty fine of £1,000' stamp at the bottom and lots of other scary terms.

I certainly did send the V5 form off and I even sent a follow up letter to their follow up, but it seems like they didn't get either. What shall I do? I'm not really sure what to say or how to handle it because I can't remember the dates I got back to them, or even when I sold the car. I'm worried because of my lack of evidence or experience with this kind of thing they are going to do all they can to just rip me off.

Any advice?

Thanks everybody

Mark
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA Requisition letter for change of keeper notification

This is just another example of the strokes DVLA will try and pull in their desperate attempts to obtain money from people. The onus is on THEM to prove you did not send the V5C. As far as the law is concerned, once you put the envelope containing the relevant part of the V5C in the postbox, you have fulfilled your legal obligations. DVLA have admitted, in FOIA requests, to mislaying and, indeed, losing correspondence after it has arrived at DVLA.

The DVLA will do their utmost to get hold of details of your defence. Strictly speaking, they are not legally-entitled to have any details of your defence and you should not disclose any evidence you intend to rely on in your defence. Remember, the onus is on THEM to prove you are in the wrong, not the other way around.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
      This is just another example of the strokes DVLA will try and pull in their desperate attempts to obtain money from people. The onus is on THEM to prove you did not send the V5C. As far as the law is concerned, once you put the envelope containing the relevant part of the V5C in the postbox, you have fulfilled your legal obligations. DVLA have admitted, in FOIA requests, to mislaying and, indeed, losing correspondence after it has arrived at DVLA.

The DVLA will do their utmost to get hold of details of your defence. Strictly speaking, they are not legally-entitled to have any details of your defence and you should not disclose any evidence you intend to rely on in your defence. Remember, the onus is on THEM to prove you are in the wrong, not the other way around.
      Thanks a lot. So what do you suggest I do? Show up?

Comment

Yes. And if the DVLA "prosecutor" turns up and asks to discuss and/or see details of your defence, refuse and make it clear you will be informing the judge of their actions. Expect them to throw a strop. They may attempt to have the hearing adjourned. If at all possible, oppose this and watch them panic.

Another tactic they are known to use is to tell you the case has been withdrawn, send you away, then go into court and claim you have failed to appear, in which case they get a conviction. Strictly speaking, both tactics are illegal.

The last time DVLA attempted the former tactic, the young lady involved went to the adjourned hearing - DVLA were nowhere to be seen - went into court and told the judge exactly what DVLA had attempted to do. It resulted in the judge dismissing DVLA's case and awarding costs against them.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X