• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rant about British gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant about British gas

I have a quantum meter And owe no debt. I am not expecting any money from work until next week and so tonight put the last of my money on my gas card knowing its going to be cold. I get home, put the card in the meter and have a card fail. I phone British gas and ask them to call me back as I am on a mobile. Apparently they can't call back. Fine. I tell the man my problem and he tells me to go to my nearest pay point, get a new card, put it in the meter, go back to the pay point and put more money on it. I state I have no more money to do that. He says that's not there problem and there are ways and means of obtaining money. All I have to say is maybe for him! I know nothing can be done. I'm just letting off steam as I think it's disgraceful I've paid for a service and have not got it and am likely to freeze over the next week! Bah!
    Tags: None

Re: Rant about British gas

Originally posted by scooter lady View Post
    I have a quantum meter And owe no debt. I am not expecting any money from work until next week and so tonight put the last of my money on my gas card knowing its going to be cold. I get home, put the card in the meter and have a card fail. I phone British gas and ask them to call me back as I am on a mobile. Apparently they can't call back. Fine. I tell the man my problem and he tells me to go to my nearest pay point, get a new card, put it in the meter, go back to the pay point and put more money on it. I state I have no more money to do that. He says that's not there problem and there are ways and means of obtaining money. All I have to say is maybe for him! I know nothing can be done. I'm just letting off steam as I think it's disgraceful I've paid for a service and have not got it and am likely to freeze over the next week! Bah!
    Did you take the name of the person you spoke to?

Here is what I would do and I would do this today while you are angry but make sure you put this in a timeline within the email you will be sending. Explain the issue and explain everything else including the gas card number or meter number if there is one. Once you have emailed him, then tell us how you get on
    Email
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Do you have boiler cover? If so I'd phone up and report your boiler not working. When they discover it's the card, and not your boiler, show them the receipt for the gas you just bought, and say you thought it accepted the card okay, and suggest perhaps the card meter is faulty. They will not leave your home with no gas credit.

Comment

Thanks, I will email and thanks for the link but would like to know who it that I am emailing and yes luckily I got his name before hanging up. He was really uppity and I even had to state that he was supposed to be helping me not arguing with me. Anyway...

And in reply to the other post I live In "social housing" so the boiler is covered by them. Good idea though.

Comment

He's the CEO of British Gas so the email goes to their executive complaints team.
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by scooter lady View Post
            he tells me to go to my nearest pay point, get a new card, put it in the meter, go back to the pay point and put more money on it.
            Check if they can transfer the money from your old card, onto the new one.
            I never heard of a card where they couldn't do that.
            That way, you won't need more money till next week.
            Last edited by christianpassy; 22nd February 2013, 20:47:PM. Reason: change

Comment

Scooterlady..........and I know this for a fact,,if you have no debt with them,,get your meter changed to a normal one,they can't refuse (well,,they try but badger till they give in)
              In the meantime,,,ring them back and they should send an engineer straight out (mine packed up a few weeks ago before I had it changed).

Comment

Originally posted by christianpassy View Post
                Check if they can transfer the money from your old card, onto the new one.
                I never heard of a card where they couldn't do that.
                That way, you won't need more money till next week.
                I guess you have now! They charge £8 in store for a replacement card. British gas does eventually refund that money but that's no use to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                  Scooterlady..........and I know this for a fact,,if you have no debt with them,,get your meter changed to a normal one,they can't refuse (well,,they try but badger till they give in)
                  In the meantime,,,ring them back and they should send an engineer straight out (mine packed up a few weeks ago before I had it changed).
                  I will try again in the morning. No one there now. Thanks.

Comment

I called bg this morning and started the call by saying I had emailed the CEO. The lady I spoke to was very helpful this time and sent an engineer out. As it turns out it was a problem with the meter and not my card. He changed the meter and left me with ten pounds credit. Happy days. Thanks for help and advice but most of all listening to my rant. They really annoyed me last night the way they acted. Good weekend all x

Comment

That's excellent hun,,at least you will be warm this weekend,but badger for a different meter (if that's what you want of course) but Well done for making them sort it xxx

Comment

A RESULT so pleasd for you

Comment

Do not leave it there even though you are satisfied right now.
                          Make sure you are on the right tariff for your needs and if you owe them nothing then you are well within your right s to change providers.
                          Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X