• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Right to Confidentiality At Work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right to Confidentiality At Work

I have a recruitment company at work, taking advantage of the government funding for "modern apprenticeships". They wanted to video me, and everyone else, doing my job in the morning. I refused this stating that I suffer Bi Polar Affective Disorder, and that for the past ten years I have self managed without the side effects of medication.

I learned to avoid the stress triggers which leave me feeling acutely anxious, and felt this unnecessary intrusion (filming me) would leave me feeling stressed and anxious, not a condition for a professional van driver to be hitting the motorways in the morning with.

They ignored my pleas for months and told me:-

1) I have to do it as my boss is paying half the bill.

This is a clear lie as the taxpayer is picking up 100% of the tab.

2) They told me I have to do it as my boss will get a cheaper block discount from his trade policy insurance.

This is an even bigger lie.

3) They told me I would get cheaper personal car insurance.

This is yet an even bigger lie.

Yesterday morning the assessor from this company arrived at my work unnanounced as usual, and I'm expected to down tools and go do this video work.

I told him that I had given him several months notice of my intention not to go through with this. He ignored my please, ignored my stressed out situation and we ended up having words.

He told me "oh stop getting your knickers in a twist FFS!"

He then stormed upstairs to complain to my boss and I went n my way out in my van.

At lunch break I telephoned the company's head office (the recruitment training company) and lodged a complaint, about them dismissing my views, and their persuasive coercion techniques, including the blatant lies and misrepresentation.

The Regional Manager called me and arranged to meet with me this morning. When I arrived at work, he was already in my boss's office with a printed transcript of what I had said over the telephone. My boss was reading this. I had not been asked at any point to sign that transcript as a true recollection of my complaint. I wasn't even given a chance to look at it, never mind offered a copy.

Included in this transcript was confidential information about my Bi Polar condition, as explained to the recruitment company, in confidence, to offer some reasoning for my anxiety about the course. I had up until then not told my boss that I had this condition, as it did not affect my work, and was my own business.

The Regional Manager guy spieled my boss and myself a pile of cow dung, and avoided addressing the particulars of my complaint.

He them, out of the blue, started speaking about my Bi Polar Disorder. At this point I stood up and told the guy that he was miles out of order, had breached Data Protection laws, and I stormed out of the meeting and went on my way for the day at work.

I then telephoned the owner of the recruitment company, who also insisted that we do get cheaper insurance, and cited his policy with the company Aviva. I telephoned Aviva and explained everything and they told me there was no such discount for this accreditation which is an NVQ Modern Apprenticeship in Freight Handling. Completely unconnected to driving and all centred around loading boxes safely for transporting. I also complained about the Data Protection breach from his Regional Manager. He scoffed at me and dismissed my claims stating that I had signed a form stating that they may disclose information about my training course to others, including my bosses. At no point did I sign anything about releasing medical records or the discussion of such.

I told the owner that he was an absolute cowboy outfit, with scant regard for a duty of care to the trainees, and even less regard for Data Protection laws.

I asked to be removed form the course.

What do we think folks? Are these people for real?
    Tags: None

Re: Right to Confidentiality At Work

Sorry, I am utterly confused. Who do you work for? The company or the recruitment agency? I cannot figure out the relationships here at all. And how long have you worked for whoever you work for? And what is your contract - are you an apprentice or what? And what is the course?

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
      Sorry, I am utterly confused. Who do you work for? The company or the recruitment agency? I cannot figure out the relationships here at all. And how long have you worked for whoever you work for? And what is your contract - are you an apprentice or what? And what is the course?
      I work for Taggarts Motor Group. They use REMIT (the training and recruitment company) to accredit their apprentice mechanics.

They took advantage of the government funding and created this accreditation known as the NVQ Modern Apprenticeship in Freight Handling. They then approached my boss whilst they were assessing the mechanics and said they assessments would take half an our each session, and it was free. My boss agreed, as it wasn't costing him anything.

Before they signed me up for the course I told them I would not be comfortable being filmed, and they insisted I had to do it, for the reasons mentioned in my OP.

I have been in this job 12 months. I am a Parts Van Driver, and not an apprentice. I have a full time contract.

Comment

Still confused. What has the recruitment agency got to do with any of this? If you agreed to go on the course knowing that filming was part of the course, then it would seem that by going on the course, you agreed to the filming. Did you actually use that language to the employer? Because if you did, removal from the course may not be an issue - the removal of your employment may be. It really isn't relevant why they wanted to film or what reason they gave, and it is certainly not up to you to call them liars or cowboys. You knew this was part of the requirement for the course.

You are not going to appreciate me suggesting this, but you seem to have something of a propensity for relatively serious disputes with other people, judging by your posting history. Why do you think this is? I am sorry I have to point this out, but in a few short days you have described a series of circumstances in which you have serious conflict with others, and you appear to have ended up in disputes (actually or potentially) very damaging to yourself.

Comment

Still confused. What has the recruitment agency got to do with any of this? If you agreed to go on the course knowing that filming was part of the course, then it would seem that by going on the course, you agreed to the filming. Did you actually use that language to the employer? Because if you did, removal from the course may not be an issue - the removal of your employment may be. It really isn't relevant why they wanted to film or what reason they gave, and it is certainly not up to you to call them liars or cowboys. You knew this was part of the requirement for the course.

You are not going to appreciate me suggesting this, but you seem to have something of a propensity for relatively serious disputes with other people, judging by your posting history. Why do you think this is? I am sorry I have to point this out, but in a few short days you have described a series of circumstances in which you have serious conflict with others, and you appear to have ended up in disputes (actually or potentially) very damaging to yourself.
          My employers are backing me. They have also been lied to.

There is no obligation (from my employer) to participate in this course.

Your other comments have no place in this discussion.

Comment

Just to add, before I signed the agreement, I protested that I would not be filmed, and an agreement was verbally reached that "another arrangement" would be possible when it came to commencing the course.

Comment

I have posted about the CSA from years ago. Hardly indicative of anyone's persona, is it?

I posted about a fall out with my fishing association. I mentioned that I have a fisheries management diploma and that others within the association probably felt threatened with my ideologies on fishery management, which showed up their inadequacies. I also mentioned how the association have gone against their own terms and changed the way members are embraced by the management committee. There are dozens more in my position, that I know about, and perhaps more that I don't know of.

Again hardly suggestive that I'm a trouble maker, is it?

And my latest post speaks for itself, but you have questioned the legitimacy of what I've said.

You certainly are quick to jump to conclusions and judge people, aren't you?

Comment

Ahhh ... I get it... I've got too many posts running? Is that it?

Comment

Paranoia is not my area of expertise. I give up. I really don't give a s** t how many posts you have running, but it is perfectly legitimate to point out that you seem to be in conflict an awful lot. You were the person who said, in your post, that your employer was obtaining information they shouldn't have and so on. Now they are backing you. Against who exactly? But it seems you have it all sorted....

Comment

Paranoia is not my area of expertise. I give up. I really don't give a s** t how many posts you have running, but it is perfectly legitimate to point out that you seem to be in conflict an awful lot. You were the person who said, in your post, that your employer was obtaining information they shouldn't have and so on. Now they are backing you. Against who exactly? But it seems you have it all sorted....
                    Futile and churlish sarcasm seems to be your expertise. Please take the time to read my posts again, if you are interested that is. You will then clearly see that you have misinterpreted what has been written.

It's coming across that you have anger issues.

Comment

There is no suggestion anywhere in this thread that my employer obtained any information against my wishes, but rather it is clearly pointed out that the recruitment company presented this information to my employer, and I suspect this was a breach of Data Protection.

Comment

Psssstttt Salmon Man,,,,,trust me when I tell you Eloise is the best of the best in Employment Law and people would fork out £1000's to get the advice you are getting free.( and she's pretty good on the rest of the stuff too)

Comment

No - definitely not that interested. I have tried to help you on a couple of threads, but I think that the pot is calling the kettle black. I am not the one calling people liars and cowboys and goodness knows what you call them in the salmon fishing streams.

Comment

Salmon man
                            You got problems you do not need to be rude on this forum people need to understand your problem to be able to help

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                              Psssstttt Salmon Man,,,,,trust me when I tell you Eloise is the best of the best in Employment Law and people would fork out £1000's to get the advice you are getting free.( and she's pretty good on the rest of the stuff too)
                              Okay point accepted, but did she really have to deviate from the subject matter and start to question my psyche? I think not. I only asked for advice, not personal abuse.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X