• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with Rossendales???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Rossendales???

url=http://postimage.org/image/icba7nu0z/][/url]

I received this in my door today because I have defaulted on my payment plan because I have had my hours reduced by 50% at work and just couldn't afford to keep paying. I rang them and explained but they weren't interested. Does anyone know what I can do when they come back?

Any help is appreciated.

Mike
    Tags: None

Re: Help with Rossendales???

:bump:

Comment

Firstly, could you advise us what the debt is for, please? Secondly, Rossendales holds an OFT Debt Collection Licence and one of its conditions is that they must not force debtors to pay more than they can realistically afford. Thirdly, how much could you realistically afford towards paying off the debt on a weekly or monthly basis?
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Could you post or attach a larger image?

Have the buggers ever levied distress on your goods and chattels? If they have, what items were listed and, if those items were inside the house, did you let the oaf in?

Comment

You will need various pieces of information in order to move forward. You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
          1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
          2 - the dates they were obtained
          3 - the addresses they were for
          4 - the period of time each covers
          5 - how much each one was for
          6 - how much is still outstanding
          7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
          8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

You also need to have a read of http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax and send off for a breakdown of the fees they are trying to claim using Letter 1 from http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

The Regulations for Council Tax tell you what they are allowed to charge you. Just remember one thing - Bailiffs Lie

Comment

Here is what they're allowed to charge (also mentioned in the link above):
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replys. I just spoke to Ms Brown the Bailiff in charge on the phone and explained I could not pay the fee she was demanding and she told me to ring her back on Monday and give her a time she could come to my property and collect the money. Silly cow.

She told me if I don't pay, there's a good chance I could be sent to Prison.

I have never let anyone into my property, and just explained to her that would not change, that's when she started talking about Prison.

Comment

What is the alleged debt for?

Has anything been levied upon?

Comment

Originally posted by yiddo1985 View Post
                  She told me if I don't pay, there's a good chance I could be sent to Prison.

I have never let anyone into my property, and just explained to her that would not change, that's when she started talking about Prison.
                  Bailiffs tell lies.

Comment

Hi Clogs.

It's council tax. Nothing has been levied up. Said she's going to come back next week and hung up on me. I don't know what she's coming back for?

Tea, maybe?

Comment

Perhaps she wants to collect your doorstep?

More likely, she'd try the "Threshold Manoeuvre", whereby she'd rest her foot against your door and then hammer on it until you opened it; her weight would do the rest and she'd - literally - have her foot in your doorway. Bailiffs falsely claim this as "peaceful entry".

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        Perhaps she wants to collect your doorstep?

More likely, she'd try the "Threshold Manoeuvre", whereby she'd rest her foot against your door and then hammer on it until you opened it; her weight would do the rest and she'd - literally - have her foot in your doorway. Bailiffs falsely claim this as "peaceful entry".
                        Rai and Rai -v- Birmingham City Council [1993] is one of the cases that knocked this on the head and put bailiffs on notice they couldn't use the "Threshold Manoeuvre" to claim "peaceable entry". Likewise, tricking their way in, e.g. by claiming they need to use the phone/toilet, gas themselves, is not "peaceable entry". I would like to see a bailiff try and talk their way out of a charge of Burglary Artifice (aka Distraction Burglary) as the word "artifice", translated into Modern English, means "clever trickery". Chances of getting an idiot bailiff arrested and prosecuted are, at present, slim, but there's no harm in making the bailiff think they can. You won't be telling porkies either, unlike the bailiff.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                          Rai and Rai -v- Birmingham City Council [1993] is one of the cases that knocked this on the head and put bailiffs on notice they couldn't use the "Threshold Manoeuvre" to claim "peaceable entry". Likewise, tricking their way in, e.g. by claiming they need to use the phone/toilet, gas themselves, is not "peaceable entry". I would like to see a bailiff try and talk their way out of a charge of Burglary Artifice (aka Distraction Burglary) as the word "artifice", translated into Modern English, means "clever trickery". Chances of getting an idiot bailiff arrested and prosecuted are, at present, slim, but there's no harm in making the bailiff think they can. You won't be telling porkies either, unlike the bailiff.
                          Interesting, do you have a link to the case mentioned ?
                          Last edited by gravytrain; 23rd February 2013, 08:58:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gravytrain View Post
                            Inserting, do you have a link to the case mentioned ?
                            Would a summary of the case do, GT? Although it is a magistrates court ruling, it is a useful case to quote where the "Threshold Manoeuvre" is concerned.
                            Attached Files

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X