• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can an employer refuse holidays for first 13 weeks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an employer refuse holidays for first 13 weeks?

My partner started working in a hotel this week. She works 50+ hours per week (not sure how many hours her contract states).

Anyway, her contract states:

"Upon commencement of employment, you will not be entitled to take any holidays for the first 13 weeks after which time you will be entitled to take one twelfth of your annual entitlement for each month of service to date."

Is this legal? Seems dodgy.
    Tags: None

Re: Can an employer refuse holidays for first 13 weeks?

Originally posted by King Mustard View Post
    My partner started working in a hotel this week. She works 50+ hours per week (not sure how many hours her contract states).

Anyway, her contract states:

"Upon commencement of employment, you will not be entitled to take any holidays for the first 13 weeks after which time you will be entitled to take one twelfth of your annual entitlement for each month of service to date."

Is this legal? Seems dodgy.
    It's in the contract so if she did not agree with it then she should not have taken the job. I know that sounds harsh and I would wait until Eloise has had a look at the thread as this is probably her sphere but I do not see it as a problem. After 13 weeks she is entitled to 3 times her holiday divided by 12, ie if she has say 24 days off per years then she is entitled to 6 days off after that period is up.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
      It's in the contract so if she did not agree with it then she should not have taken the job. I know that sounds harsh and I would wait until Eloise has had a look at the thread as this is probably her sphere but I do not see it as a problem. After 13 weeks she is entitled to 3 times her holiday divided by 12, ie if she has say 24 days off per years then she is entitled to 6 days off after that period is up.
      No, my point was just because something is in a contract, doesn't mean it can override the law. I posted this topic to make sure that isn't what was happening.

Just seems a bit unfair that she can't take any holiday days off, even though she works a minimum of 48 hours per week, for three full months

Comment

Originally posted by King Mustard View Post
        No, my point was just because something is in a contract, doesn't mean it can override the law. I posted this topic to make sure that isn't what was happening.

Just seems a bit unfair that she can't take any holiday days off, even though she works a minimum of 48 hours per week, for three full months
        As I have also said, please wait for Eloise who is much more knowledgeable than myself. I would simply say that on the face of it, I cannot see an issue with what is written in the contract.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

The law provides every employee with the entitlement to 5.6 (28 days) weeks holiday per leave year. it does not, however, entitle anyone to take holidays when they wish to. So the employer is always permitted the power to refuse people the right to take holidays, provided they allow employees the opportunity to take their full legal entitlement. So yes, they can tell her she can't take any leave in the first three months, or at any other period (which will almost certainly, in her trade, include things like the Christmas period). What they cannot do is refuse to allow an employee to take only their accrued holiday - which is what you are describing. But as I told you in your last post - she requires two years employment to claim unfair dismissal and she has been in her current employment for a week!

Look, let's be blunt. It's a crap job. It's ten hour shifts, six days a week, probably at minimum wage. They will skirt the law whenever they can and break it whenever they can. There are certain sectors of employment and certain employers that will do so at the drop of a hat. The "hospitality sector" is one of them - which doesn't mean all employers in this sector are rubbish, but I'd start at assuming they are and wait to be proved wrong. But legal or not, you do not start splitting hairs with your employer one week into any job that you expect to last two weeks at - and she needs two years!

The best advice she could have is get another job. In this area of work she may struggle to find a better employer, but she probably won't do a lot worse. She was probably "scammed" on the training course already, and the fact that any employer associated with that course is suspect doesn't surprise me at all. Nobody needs to be paying for a course to teach you waitressing and legitimate courses do not "find you work" when you complete the course. This screams scam to me. I would like to be proven wrong - but I doubt I will be. Sorry, but that's the most likely explanation.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X