• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can she refuse to work over 48 hours?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can she refuse to work over 48 hours?

My 21-year-old partner is from an EU country and paid money to go a short course that gives you hospitality training etc. They also find her work afterward, but it's not "work experience", they just find her the work for when the course ends. She started last week, as a waitress in a hotel.

She works 10 hours per day, 6 times per week.

Can she legally refuse to work over 48 hours, or is that number just a guide?

So far, she has not been asked to sign anything (work contract, 48-hour opt-in etc.)
    Last edited by King Mustard; 15th February 2013, 08:23:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Can she refuse to work over 48 hours?

Yes she can refuse to work over 48 hours per week. On the other hand, long hours are common in the hospitality trade. And she requires two years employment to be able to claim unfair dismissal. So shortly after she refuses to work the hours, I suspect that she will be without employment. Not fair - but also not per se unlawful unless she can prove the dismissal is for exercising her right not to work more than 48 hours.

Comment

How about if she has an accident through tiredness, working excessive hours? Would that come under health and safety legislation? My understanding is that the WTR were brought in to prevent that sort of thing happening.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        How about if she has an accident through tiredness, working excessive hours? Would that come under health and safety legislation? My understanding is that the WTR were brought in to prevent that sort of thing happening.
        She would have to prove it - and that would be almost impossible to do. Plenty of people work 60 hour weeks. There is no liability or negligence in providing someone with 60 hours of work. I am not defending that - personally I think it is wrong and that there should be a maximum number of hours anyone is allowed to work. But that is opinion and not law. Provided the employer complies with the entire of the Working Time Regulations, particularly those relating to rest periods, then there is no technical maximum number of hours of work. "Excessive" is an opinion - not a legal definition.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X