• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need advice on issue relating to legal advice !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on issue relating to legal advice !

I approached Community Legal Services at the start of February. After an initial online form for legal aid, I was passed over to a solicitors practice. After a few days I was contacted by the practice and asked some simple questions (nothing to do with the legal issues I had ), then all contact stopped. I was told the advisor who I was assigned was on leave, and they would be back in the office the following day. Nearly ten days have passed and I've had no contact from the solicitors despite sending several emails, and making numerous telephone calls. The telephone calls are all met with, " we will call you back'. I then contacted CLS to see if I could be moved to another of there advice partners and I've not heard a thing back from them either.

I am now stuck in a black hole. I'm unable to establish contact with the solicitor, the CLS keep fobbing me off, and if I don't get any legal advice soon, events will overtake the need for the legal advice.

I assume I am pretty much stuffed in a poorly funded system that is on its knees, or it there any light at the end of the tunnel for me ?
    Tags: None

Re: Need advice on issue relating to legal advice !

Are you able to tell us anything about what you are seeking advice for. Nothing specific just a broad outline.

Comment

Hi Robb

How frustrating! I expect you've seen this but just in case: https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/how-to-claim. If I were in your shoes I would find a local solicitor who specializes in the area of law that you need and also does legal aid and arrange it through him/her. http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/search/?q=find+a+solicitor

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
        Are you able to tell us anything about what you are seeking advice for. Nothing specific just a broad outline.
        I am fighting a service charge with my social housing landlord. I have no idea if my TA offers a clear mandate for a variation (currently no service charge exists). Many of the clause's in the TA conflict with each other. Its far from in-depth I'm afraid, lots of little side issues that confuse the bigger picture.

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
        Hi Robb

How frustrating! I expect you've seen this but just in case: https://www.gov.uk/legal-aid/how-to-claim. If I were in your shoes I would find a local solicitor who specializes in the area of law that you need and also does legal aid and arrange it through him/her. http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/search/?q=find+a+solicitor
        I tried every solicitor in my area and within a 100 mile radius. 90% said no, and the rest explained they would only be allocated £90 from the legal aid board, and the minimum they would charge is around £300-400. A couple were honest enough to say legal aid is worthless these days

Comment

Originally posted by Robb View Post
          I am fighting a service charge with my social housing landlord. I have no idea if my TA offers a clear mandate for a variation (currently no service charge exists). Many of the clause's in the TA conflict with each other. Its far from in-depth I'm afraid, lots of little side issues that confuse the bigger picture.
          Thanks for posting this, I'm sure there may be one or two on here who have knowledge of this type of thing - I know I don't. Hopefully they will pop in and take a look.

Comment

A lawyer will give you one-off free legal advice about your issue. They will also tell you whether you may be eligible for further assistance or a grant of legal aid for a lawyer to represent you in your case. They might be able to provide help with simple documents if you do not have a lawyer. They will not be able to help you with complex legal documents.
            The advice session is generally about 15 to 20 minutes. This amount of time does not allow our lawyers to give you detailed legal advice about complex matters.
            If Legal Aid NSW is not able to help you further they may be able to give you information about where you can go for more help.

Comment

http://www.lawworks.org.uk/list-of-l...member-clinics might be worth a try?

Comment

Originally posted by Abansion View Post
                A lawyer will give you one-off free legal advice about your issue.
                If Legal Aid NSW is not able to help you further they may be able to give you information about where you can go for more help.
                It must be the area where I live. But I've never come across any practice giving free one-off advice. I approached all the firms in my location and was told they were unable to help or give any advice ?

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                I'll take a look at that today

Comment

It must be the area where I live. But I've never come across any practice giving free one-off advice. I approached all the firms in my location and was told they were unable to help or give any advice ?
                  Or possibly it could be bacause Abansion is a tad inaccurate. Some solicitors offer a free introductory session - many do not. It can often depend on how competitive the market is, and the the area of expertise required. Lawyers per se do not provide free services - one-off or otherwise. These are choices. I have never offered free sessions to prospective clients - work is either pro bono or it is not.

I would have offered help if I could, but this is a long way from my area of law.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post

I would have offered help if I could, but this is a long way from my area of law.

Thats very kind of you. I'm working on the princible of common sense at the moment, eg, asking the HA loads of questions, and looking for holes in the framework process. In the meantime, I'm using my history skills from Uni to (attempt) a decipher of the variation clause within the TA. If all else fails, there is the Ombudsman.

Comment

I'm using my history skills from Uni to (attempt) a decipher of the variation clause within the TA. If all else fails, there is the Ombudsman.
                      Actually, the skills of a historian are very useful when dealing with legal issues. Evaluation of sources, documents, evidence, and so on.

Go through the landlords documentation and analyse it thoroughly. I always look to see if the opposition can be tripped up using their own documents.

Comment

I thought an update may be in order.

I spent another £6 calling the 'Community Legal Services' 0845 number to enquire about the current state of play. I pre-empted the conversation with a request to make a complaint about their service (more later). The CLS acknowledged they also had not received any communication back from the legal office supposedly dealing with my case. When I asked if I could be passed over to another legal provider, I was told I had to be released from my current provider first - the one that as never contacted me. So it appears I'm receiving legal aid ?

Oh ! the complaint, that must have happened when they transferred me to another department, then cut me off - three times, or when I emailed them on their 'complaint' email address and was told it was feedback only.

The CLS appear immune from accountability. Even my MP is unable to help. From my point of view, I have a reasonable amount of intelligence, and access to resources (although not for my current legal predicament). However, if the CLS - as proposed - become the guardians of all legal aid applications in the future, I dread to think of the chaos and pain the most vulnerable in society will be subjected to.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X