• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary for unauthorised absence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disciplinary for unauthorised absence

Originally posted by Eloise01 View Post
    I agree that there is a special case to be made for the Police Force and Armed Forces. However the bulk of Crown appointments are many thousands of low paid workers who make up huge swathes of the bureaucracy of government departments - and would be greatly pleased to be "brought down to the same level" as the lowly employees who can claim unfair dismissal and redundancy payments - which many of these people cannot. Not everyone is Sir Humphrey...
    Civil Servants' Conditions of Appointment are strange creatures, I agree. Technically, you cannot sack them without going through a right old parlarva, culminating in a Civil Service Commission (CSC) Tribunal. If a Civil Servant is, indeed, dismissed, an investigation will have been made by internal investigation teams, Special Branch or police officers. One of the police forces I served with was the MoD Police and we would be asked to investigate matters pertaining or relating to a Civil Servant's employment. Sometimes, a case file would be sent to H.M. Treasury Solicitor and sometimes a case file would be forwarded to the Civil Service Commission. It really depended upon what the Civil Servant had been involved in. Purely Employment Law matters were dealt with by Civil Service Management.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
      Civil Servants' Conditions of Appointment are strange creatures, I agree. Technically, you cannot sack them without going through a right old parlarva, culminating in a Civil Service Commission (CSC) Tribunal. If a Civil Servant is, indeed, dismissed, an investigation will have been made by internal investigation teams, Special Branch or police officers. One of the police forces I served with was the MoD Police and we would be asked to investigate matters pertaining or relating to a Civil Servant's employment. Sometimes, a case file would be sent to H.M. Treasury Solicitor and sometimes a case file would be forwarded to the Civil Service Commission. It really depended upon what the Civil Servant had been involved in. Purely Employment Law matters were dealt with by Civil Service Management.
      Yes. What I am concerned about is the literally thousands upon thousands of low paid people who are actually the "cannon fodder" denied basic rights. I came across a swathe of them recently - people employed on fixed term contracts for five or more years. As you will be aware, people in the "real world" on fixed term contracts acrrue the same employment rights as other employees. These people were denied redundancy payments. They were denied redeployment even though other suitable jobs were available. And as Crown Servants are not employees they are denied the right to challenge this in an employment tribunal. All because they were Crown Servants. If the government expects to have any credibility on employment law issues, it must first apply the same rights to its own workers. Employing "disposable staff" on supposedly fixed term contarcts with next to no rights has become the norm in most government departments, and it is an unacceptable and unjustifiable denial of basic rights. The DWP alone employs thousands of people in this way. It is not the small number of people involved in alleged misconduct which is the most worrying aspect - albeit an issue. It is the 99% who have done nothing wrong but try to support their families, and who often do not even realise that they are not employees and have significantly fewer rights than their next door neighbour when it comes to being "at risk". Imagine working for an employer for years, paying into your pension etc., etc., and along they come and say "Bye - you have no right to your job and no right to employment, and by the way, there's no redundancy money either".

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
        This policy was adopted by a number of different companies, including one large investment bank I was working for at the time as an agency temp as well, the temps were all paid through the agencies and not the companies, those companies like to outsource everything and the last thing they would do is take the temp payroll in-house. In my case, I was using an umbrella company, but only because a friend of mine recommended it as a tax-efficient vehicle. I could probably have stayed more than 52 weeks in those circumstances as I was 'officially' 'employed' by a company in Gibraltar (that's what my payslip said), but I left after 5 or 6 months to go to Spain.

They were all very concerned about temps acquiring employment rights at the time (2004). Surprisingly, not all companies agreed to this type of arrangement, some didn't want limited companies and some didn't want umbrella companies to be used. :confused2:
        Well I can't explain it. But sense and employers is not always something I put in the same sentence - even the big ones!

Comment

Yes. What I am concerned about is the literally thousands upon thousands of low paid people who are actually the "cannon fodder" denied basic rights. I came across a swathe of them recently - people employed on fixed term contracts for five or more years. As you will be aware, people in the "real world" on fixed term contracts acrrue the same employment rights as other employees. These people were denied redundancy payments. They were denied redeployment even though other suitable jobs were available. And as Crown Servants are not employees they are denied the right to challenge this in an employment tribunal. All because they were Crown Servants. If the government expects to have any credibility on employment law issues, it must first apply the same rights to its own workers. Employing "disposable staff" on supposedly fixed term contarcts with next to no rights has become the norm in most government departments, and it is an unacceptable and unjustifiable denial of basic rights. The DWP alone employs thousands of people in this way. It is not the small number of people involved in alleged misconduct which is the most worrying aspect - albeit an issue. It is the 99% who have done nothing wrong but try to support their families, and who often do not even realise that they are not employees and have significantly fewer rights than their next door neighbour when it comes to being "at risk". Imagine working for an employer for years, paying into your pension etc., etc., and along they come and say "Bye - you have no right to your job and no right to employment, and by the way, there's no redundancy money either".
          The problem is, Eloise, government departments use a lot of agency staff and try to bluff their way out of compliance with Employment Law and basic employment rights. One scam they use is Crown Immunity. That has been narrowed-down over the passage of time and it only applies in limited circumstances these days. I have a gut-feeling this practice will, as it always does, backfire on the government when a test case is brought under Human Rights legislation, strange as this may sound.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
            The problem is, Eloise, government departments use a lot of agency staff and try to bluff their way out of compliance with Employment Law and basic employment rights. One scam they use is Crown Immunity. That has been narrowed-down over the passage of time and it only applies in limited circumstances these days. I have a gut-feeling this practice will, as it always does, backfire on the government when a test case is brought under Human Rights legislation, strange as this may sound.
            I agree. But these were not agency staff. We are talking about directly employed people. As I said, I can see a case for a different sort of employment relationship for the Police and Armed Forces - maybe even for Sir Humphries.... But that should still be based on having the same basic rights even if they are exercised differently. But ordinary workers, not in a uniformed service, not privy to state secrets, that is a different matter.

Comment

I agree. But these were not agency staff. We are talking about directly employed people. As I said, I can see a case for a different sort of employment relationship for the Police and Armed Forces - maybe even for Sir Humphries.... But that should still be based on having the same basic rights even if they are exercised differently. But ordinary workers, not in a uniformed service, not privy to state secrets, that is a different matter.
              I agree with you entirely, Eloise. Like I said in an earlier post, I have a gut-feeling this anomaly will be corrected by a test case under Human Rights legislation. The government tend to suffer from severe Cranio-Rectal Obstruction and tend to delude themselves they are invincible and untouchable. They always find out the hard way that the opposite applies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X