• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CSA harassing calls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSA harassing calls

Hi, I am the NRP, my son(17) lives with his mother. I have remarried and have 3 children.
    I am currently unemployed(in construction, not much around at all at the mo) and my wife has gone to work instead whilst I care for the baby and the other two when they finish school(child care is almost impossible as one son is autistic and living in mid wales finding help is almost impossible even if i could pay for it). My ex went to the CSA who now say I have arrears, which due to lack of income I am unable to clear. They started ringing me constantly so I wrote and informed them that I would only accept written correspondence. They have done so for a while but have now started ringing again. They told me because I have arrears they are legally allowed to do so. In the last call the agent(who would not give her name) asked if she was speaking to me and then without any security questions or checks of any kind proceeded to tell me that because my arrears are over £5000 they can ring whenever they like. I told her I would like everything in writing and terminated the call.
    • What I would like to know is have they breached the Data Protection Act by disclosing information without security checks.
    • Are they actually allowed to call me when I have exercised the right to written communication only.

As a separate matter they are saying because my wife receives working tax credit and child tax credit then they can use that in their calculations.
    We have offered to pay an additional £2 per week against the arrears until things improve.
    To compound the matter when the recession hit I was self employed and after much struggling I eventually had to declare myself bankrupt. I no longer have a bank account at all.
    I have replied to every CSA letter giving details requested and all have been sent recorded delivery. How ever they rarely reply to mine and when they do it is either a form letter or ignores the questions i have asked.
    I do apologize if this is not totally coherent but I am no experience of this sort of thing.
    We are really at our wits ends and any advice would be welcome.
    Tags: None

Re: CSA harassing calls

Originally posted by Roger C View Post
    • What I would like to know is have they breached the Data Protection Act by disclosing information without security checks.

Yes.

• Are they actually allowed to call me when I have exercised the right to written communication only.

They certainly shouldn't, as it would constitute harassment.

If the barmy buggers cannot get through, what will they do? Try smoke signals, or send a letter?

I have replied to every CSA letter giving details requested and all have been sent recorded delivery. How ever they rarely reply to mine and when they do it is either a form letter or ignores the questions i have asked.
    That's simple.

They're stupid.

One just can't get good staff these days. I blame the war...

We are really at our wits ends and any advice would be welcome.
    Invest in a TrueCall nuisance call blocker.

Comment

When they next call, tell them that you're Genghis Khan.

Comment

you are bang on with regards to the DPA.

If they ring you back, simply say I demand to speak to your Unit Manager who is in charge of the DPA regarding a serious breach, which if I may remind you is an offence, which can result in a fine of up to £100,000 (it was when I was dealing with the DPA but it might have gone up)

If they refuse say I refuse to speak with you I am terminating the call, all further calls will be recorded, for the benefit of the tape.

On each call state you are recording the call, and ask them to do the same, if they say the do not consent to being recorded, state you will then be terminating the call.

Well... they don't know you're not do they?

Comment

That's simple.

They're stupid.
          One just can't get good staff these days. I blame the war...

How's it go CC.. Giz a job.. I could do that.. Giz a job

(I am a former call centre customer services agent, trying to find work)

Comment

I've had problems with the CSA as well, they really don't listen to a word your saying and just keep demanding money.
            With me it's been 2 years sorting out their mistakes (at my expense), they recon I now owe £3000 although I don't understand how they came to that figure.
            When I was working for a company they where taking monthly payments out of my wages of £25 a week with no arrears, in June 2010 I lost my job and went self employed. I had no money coming in for the first 3 months and claiming JSA then after that after sending in my end of year tax returns they said I have to pay £11 a week, what I don't understand is that for the period Jan 2010 to June 2010 they say I should have paid £45 a week even though I had no pay rise??

I haven't paid them anything for 5 months now as I've had little to no work coming in, just a few quid here and there. They phoned me last month demanding a payment, I told them I have no money at all to which they said that if I don't make a payment then they will have no choice but to escalate my case and I could loose my drivers licence.
            At that point I just started laughing and told them that if I loose my licence then they are taking away the only thing that could help me make money and they'd end up getting bugger all, I said that they can do whatever they want as I don't give a s##t right now, I couldn't buy my children anything for Christmas because of the lack of funds and my wife is making up the shortfall to pay the mortgage, so I not apologising if I coming across as if I don't care because right now I have more important problems to deal with like explaining to my children why they have no presents when they come round at the weekend.

Sorry! didn't mean to hijack, it just hit a nerve

Comment

Originally posted by swifty View Post
              I haven't paid them anything for 5 months now as I've had little to no work coming in, just a few quid here and there. They phoned me last month demanding a payment, I told them I have no money at all to which they said that if I don't make a payment then they will have no choice but to escalate my case and I could loose my drivers licence.
              What has payment of cock tax to do with having a driver's licence? :tinysmile_aha_t:

Comment

no idea, but according to them they have the power to suspend my licence if I don't adhere to their demands.

Comment

Originally posted by swifty View Post
                  no idea, but according to them they have the power to suspend my licence if I don't adhere to their demands.
                  I believe that may be stercus bovi.

Comment

Unfortunatly.. they have!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ce&hl=en&gl=uk

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane Puffrose View Post
                      No, they don't.

A court may do.

Such a "disqualification" may, of course, be held to be an improper abuse of human rights.

Comment

When mentioning the Data Protection Act, it might be worth mentioning that it happens to one of those unusual pieces of legislation where both the organisation and the individual member of staff can be fined heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                          When mentioning the Data Protection Act, it might be worth mentioning that it happens to one of those unusual pieces of legislation where both the organisation and the individual member of staff can be fined heavily.
                          Yes, they can.

But will they be?

And if one state agency fines another, does anyone suffer?

Comment

The Unit (call centre) can also be closed if it happens too many times CC.

This happened in Cardiff when an entire Unit was closed due to repeated DPA breaches.

Comment

In USA driving licences get suspended for arrears/non payment of child maintenance so p'raps UK has decided to as well,flipping ridiculous,but with the cost of fuel noone will be able to afford a car soon

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X