• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Does my employer have to help me find work elsewhere in the company?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my employer have to help me find work elsewhere in the company?

This is a long story! I have worked for my local council for 6 years. In March I went on Maternity leave for the first time. I opted for additional maternity pay as I intended to return in December.

I Sept my mother became terminally ill with cancer - it had spread to her brain and I became her full time carer as she could no longer look after herself and my dad is 73 and disabled.
    I contacted my employer to say I could not return to work due to this & to ask if I could be excused from repaying the additional pay considering the circumstances - they said no.

I had to return to work - on a reduced basis - for at least 3 months or repay the extra £1500 (I didnt have the funds for this). I am now 2 months in to this period.

My mother sadly passed away and so I informed my employer that I could return to work, but as I couldn't get childcare for weekends I requested a change to my rota - this was denied. I was also told that they couldn't continue my reduced hours now my mum had passed.
    Basically meaning I have to leave.

I asked if I could use the redeployment policy to relocate to a different department (it basically gives employees who have to leave their job preferential treatment in recruitment) I was told my circumstances were not severe enough.
    What do I do? I have to resign, meaning no job, no money etc. I am so worried and fear for my small family.
    I have been applying for all jobs and vacancies but because of the huge unemployment I'm not even getting to interview stage.

Is what my employer doing legal? Is there any safety nets available for mothers who want to stay in employment but cant due to circumstances?
    Tags: None

Re: Does my employer have to help me find work elsewhere in the company?

bumped

Comment

Re: Does my employer have to help me find work elsewhere in the company?

I fear your employer may be correct, but before we assume that, I need some more information please:

What was the basis of the agreement for reduced hours - how was this arranged and were there any conditions placed on it (e.g. timescales, needs of the service etc)?

Have you formally requested flexible working on the basis of parental responsibilities, and if so, what excatly was the response? If not, how did you ask? And what was said?

I certainly agree that within the normal conditions applied to council redeployment, it would appear the employer is correct - this is generally reserved for people facing redundancy or unable to do their job due to ill health - and if they are not redeployed within a certain period it leads to termination of contract. This would not be an appropriate route in your case, since you are neither ill nor redundant, and would lead to losing your employment anyway. And the council is by law required to prioritise these two groups over you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X