• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

buying a car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a car

hi i bought a car from ebay in oct 12. when i brought the car it was sold as having full mot vaild untill aug 2013.
    the tax is now due to be renewed and i cannot find the mot papers given at the time.
    i have used the data base to trace the mot only to be told that there is no currant mot for this car.
    the last mot run out in 2011.
    i have contacted the seller and was told the garage that the car had its mot. when i contacted the garage they told me that there was no mot for this car at this garage.
    i contacted dvla and they just told me to but the car though another mot. when i questioned the fact that the car had only just run out of a tax disk and should of had a mot when the tax run out 6months ago i was told that this would be possible by going to the post office with a paper mot.
    when i suggested that this meant that anyone could print off a mot and use it to gain a tax disk i was told yes.

i have reported the seller to ebay, not that this will help in anyway and i have contacted C.A.B who suggests i write a recorded letter to the seller which takes forever and does not help in the here and now.

does anyone have any advice for me as to where next as im now left with a car i cant drive and out of pocket. martin
    Tags: None

Re: buying a car

Originally posted by phelps View Post
    does anyone have any advice for me as to where next
    I'd suggest the nearest appropriate bus stop.

It is too late to claim through eBay and, if it was a private sale, the seller would not need to comply with the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations. You could argue that he committed fraud by misrepresenting that the motor car had passed an MoT inspection in August 2012 but, until and unless you can produce the purported certificate he gave you, it would be your word against his.

You should, of course, tell the plods about this and, when the woodentop at the desk asks you what you expect them to do about "a civil matter", explain patiently and s-l-o-w-l-y that obtaining a tax disc by deception is an offence, that forging an MoT certificate is an offence and that you suspect the seller may have done that on more than one occasion.

Are there any other peculiarities with the motor car?

Comment

Re: buying a car

You're lucky you've avoided ANPR all the time the car has been out of MOT,,

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X