• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Becoming part time worker following maternity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming part time worker following maternity

Hi all,

I'm due to return to work following maternity leave later this year. I plan to return part time, working 3 full days per week as opposed to 5 full days. On full time hours, I am contracted to work 37 hours per week with an hours paid dinner break. I work flexi time so this isn't taken literally, but rather that I am paid for 42 hours but have to actually be flexed on for 37. From what I understand, if I return part time, I will no longer get a paid dinner break. This would mean that although I would be working 3/5ths of the hours I was, I will get less than 3/5ths of the salary. My question is is this legal? Or am I being treated less favourably because I am working part time? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Becoming part time worker following maternity

Why would you not get a dinner break if you return part time? You would still be working a full day. Have you actually checked this is correct or asked why if it is correct?

Comment

Along the lines of hours being averaged I think, unfortunately my manager is not particularly helpful and says we'll discuss it nearer the time. Otherwise she doesn't know and doesn't really want to look into it. I just wanted to confirm that this doesn't make any sense, at least then when it does come to discussing it I'll know a bit better where I stand. From speaking to others I work with who have gone back part time this has happened but they don't know why. Like I said before I have to total 37 working hours in a week but it is paid as 42, it seems that if working part time the actual hours that you work are what you are paid for, so if you did 3 days of 7 hours with an hours break, you'd get paid for 21 hours not 24. Not right?

Comment

I agree that I can't see the logic in this. But without an explanation it's kind of hard to be sure what is going on. Can you ask HR. I can't really say that it's not right if I don't know what the employer is saying about it. I can't see it's fair, but I can't be sure.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X