• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Santander charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santander charges

Hi Guys,

I am having an issue with Santander, I asked for the account to be closed on March 2012, despite being told by the agent that this would be done, it turns out the account was not closed because there was .68p left in the account.

I myself have made no transactions since the 24 of March - When I requested the account to be closed. In November there was a year DD requested from the bank account naturally there was no funds in there and resulted in charges etc, yesterday I opened a letter saying I am about £300 worth of charges.

Called the bank and spoke to their collections dept, explained to them that I asked for the account to be closed and that I had not used the account since March 2012 - However they didn't want to listen, they insisted that this was not true and that the charges were valid, and I would get a letter saying they charges stand and the complaint closed, if I was not happy to contact the FOS.

Is anyone able to offer any advice?
    Tags: None

Re: Santander charges

How did you request the account closure? Was it in writing or face to face?
    If there was 68p in the account then what was supposed to happen to that amount? Who was the DD to and how did they get your details? If it was a yearly DD why was that not cancelled and/or transferred to you new account?
    Did your address change in the period prior to finding out about the £300.00 worth of charges? Had they written out to you before or was the statements internet only?

Need some background before suggesting a solution.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

If your conversation was on the phone there is likely to be a recording of this. If it was over the counter - there should have been a form to sign to close the account.

Write to the CEO of Santander and advise them that you asked for the account to be closed and see what he says.

Comment

You could also try someone called Nathan Talmedge, who will probably end up receiving this from the CEO anyway - his details are:

Nathan Talmedge
        Service Resolution Manager
        Media and Exec Complaints Team
        Santander UK plc, Santander House, 201 Grafton Gate East, Milton Keynes, MK9 1AN
        Tel: 0845 6048042/ ext: 63466 / Fax: 01908 338285
        Email:Nathan.G.Talmedge@santander.co.uk

Comment

After a period of relative peace and calm with Santander, they have recently charged me £25 (for paying a direct debit) + £10 for using an unarranged overdraft - they have a £12 buffer but I exceeded that by £2.15 for a period of two days. My fault, but I've pleaded my case bacause of the sum of money involved. I've already had their standard reply, so I have asked them to reconsider - I find that if you keep doing that, they eventually give up (hopefully).

Submitted a complaint because I received three standard replies - upshot is that they gave me the £35 back because of the amount I had exceeded the overdraft buffer. Being polite to them, accepting that the charges are legitimate, but suggesting that they were disproportionate, worked this time.
          Last edited by supermac9; 5th February 2014, 09:20:AM. Reason: Update

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X