• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Accused of Harassment and Bullying...Please help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Accused of Harassment and Bullying...Please help.

Wow, didn’t this carried away? :o

Yes MissFM I had my meeting today, he had a statement based on the girl’s first interview and then a second based on my interview…after my first interview. She had said lots of things that I disagreed with, lots of things that could be cross-referenced in what I had to say but her version was completely different. An example would be….and let me set the scene, I have about 3,000 text messages on my phone from her, we go between call each other friendly names, not so friendly names, curse at each other, yet all in good humour, went drinking together, knew intimate things about each other, we were comfortable around each other is what I’m saying. We were friends.

In work I would make an informed yet witty comment and she would punch me, or she would kick me…and in case you never went to high school, that means the other person likes you. They feel a level of comfort and security, certainly not a threat to their safety. She walked out of the room one day and I asked her to sit down, I put my hand on her shoulder and said “Sit down will you man?” She said that she was forced onto the chair!!!

She said I interfered and was part of the reason her past relationship broke up…not this one…not the previous one …not, wait…yeah that one? I contested how can I interfere when she texts me at 4:30am and informs me she’s crying on the streets of the city because she just had a fist fight with the guy and knocked him on his ass? I am not interfering, I am invited to the table…and what are you doing with such a glass-jawed man?!

We’ve had our arguments, and anyone that could have stepped forward seemed to favour her more than me, though some people did say she’s not all that innocent.
    In terms of unwanted gifts, I asked how can you eat with someone, ask them for advice and accept a gift from them 2 weeks earlier then not accept something? 2 weeks difference with no reason why in between? The ‘it’ was hot water bottle; “Keep yourself warm kid” was what I told her. She’s constantly shivering and coughing.

On 2 separate occasions as she fainted, I caught her and put her in a seated position. Apparently she has high blood pressure and is prone to fainting. The second time, as she was leaving work the day she collapsed, I sat with her, gave her water, and even though she told me not to do so, I phoned her family and informed them. I had no idea where she was going or who with but I was pretty sure she was going out for drinks. I was informed today that she blamed me for her faints, and had titled them ‘panic’ attacks. This girl…this girl does NOT suffer from panic attacks!

I think I’ll change my member name from GettingScrewed to GotScrewed. I affirmed that in this scenario I am the victim of young girl’s vendetta. I was Captain of the Titanic and she rode on back as a willing passenger enjoying every benefit along the way. Then when the supplies began to dry up, those being her holidays and privileges, she wasn’t happy about it. She stopped getting her own way. Then when the bar finally ran dry with the words I’m finished with you and I’m doing nothing more for you, she decided to jump ship, swim up ahead and push an iceberg in front of me. She has tried to sink me. This is no less than what has happened here.

Everyone seems really nice here and really keen to offer advice. There is no smoke without fire, we’ve had our arguments…but I think I’m ‘GettingScrewed’. My employer who I’ve stated was a close friend and I stayed in the room for a while afterwards. We had a conversation that we should not have had. He said he felt like crying, I could see it in his eyes. He is the same age as me and asked for none of this. I felt like just packing up and walking out. I know more cut-throat people will see me as soft in my position, but all I could do was apologise, pat him on the shoulder and watched his slumped posture add to the weight on my shoulders. That conversation will never leave that room regardless of any decision he makes. I owe him that.

My biggest mistake seems to be keeping all the nice things I did for her on the quiet. So when we argued people only witnessed that, that was all they could refer to seeing. She knows this I guess, I really have done so much for the kid. I’ve heard “She owes me”, I distinctly remember telling her after she stated “I owe you such much” that “You owe me nothing”. All I ever asked was she get her grades. I stated in my meeting

I did not berate her, if anything I complimented her work ethic and her abilities. I said I liked the girl, called her “fantastic” and described her as possessing an inexorable quality. In fact from the beginning of my friendship with her I noticed her potential. I attempted to take this girl that didn’t seem to realise her positive attributes and suggest she draw confidence from them, that she was more than just average. It is my personal opinion that the reason the younger generation seem so average is that they don’t care, and more to the point, they don’t see a reason to care. The moment you give a young person a reason to care, you have opened the door to their infinite potential. It’s one thing to tell a young person something making it stick, but it’s another thing entirely to make that young person think they came up with the idea on their own, thereby promoting confidence and self-assurance.

Thanks for you’re support everyone. Maybe not just time yet to get a new necktie that hangs from the ceiling.
    Last edited by GettingScrewed; 17th January 2013, 21:54:PM.

Comment

Am speechless GS. Not the necktie. The pen! xx

Comment

MissFm being cool again!

I also stated as part of the investigation...you might get a kick from this as people tune in for the soap opera!...and I stress were we friends, perhaps even closer friends, exceptionally closer friends, long after what is stated below...

I apologise to anyone that may have gotten in cross-fires of when I looked out for her. I apologise to anyone whose feelings were hurt or felt less valued than her. However I make no apology for the pursuit of happiness. I saw something I wanted and I tried to get it, someone I actually thought could make me happy. I threw my hat in the ring and I put everything into that pursuit. I invested emotions, time and finances. I compromised myself, and as you are aware sir, in the end it almost killed me. I left nothing in the tank, when I say I gave absolutely everything to this girl that made me emotionally attached and made me care, I mean ABSOLUTELY everything. Ultimately I came up short and I have to live with that. If I have to look back and regret it though I’d rather look back and regret the fact that I tried than to regret the fact that I did not.

And I quote…

“In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing”. -

-Thoedore Roosevelt.

I do state that I came here for a legal matter, I found some legal help, but a lot of supportive people.

I also know a friend I went to school with in the US called Hope, I'm pretty sure this little girl will find her and kill her her too!

Comment

An impertinence I know - but it sounds as if you were in love with her?

Comment

You are wasted in retail. If this chapter in your life leads to a career change then it will have all had a point.

Before I grew up; which was at age 22 when I had a daughter, I had insane amounts of creative and emotional energy. Some teenagers seem to be utterly fascinating and captivating because they are profound, questing, seeking answers, learning to manipulate their powers. Someone like you was drawn to this like a moth to flame.

That is one of the dangers in young girls.

From what I intuit, (not hard with your powers of expression) you loved this girl very profoundly because you saw such potential and yet such painful waste.

She needed you to transition her through a time of pain and exploration. Now she has moved to whatever that next stage is and you are not part of that chapter. She's not so young to know how much you felt and she can't handle that responsibility, so she's hurting you, vilifying you to make her own position tenable.

Many men find it hard to express emotions at all. You can.

There is another person out there, just waiting to meet you.

'The greatest gift, is to love and to keep on loving'
            Richard Selig
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

For a time...maybe...perhaps?! Nothing she didn't know, acknowledged, and we both moved on yet maintained a close friendship. It really is a whole story but I gave this kid so much for the 3 years after we had decided to be friends, I had relationships...and I had just started a new one, which is now over (How do I explain this?), I think the realisation that I had moved on perhaps hurt her? Someone else stated that perhaps she was hurt that she no longer 'owned' me. She comes from a broken home, I suppose at one point I was a parental figure to her. She has stated that she does not want to disappoint me, that she feels a pressure to succeed. Perhaps I do expect a lot from her, but she is clever! I stated today that I wish her well, I hope all her hopes and dreams come true, but I make no apology for realising the potential of another human being.

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                An impertinence I know - but it sounds as if you were in love with her?
                Or in lust after her?

Comment

That's very cynical CC - it sounds on a different plane to me!

Comment

Never a lust. I straddled a difficult line between a mentor and someone who developed feelings. Dealt with, in the past. That didn't mean I'd screw her over, she's a good kid I'd like to think? I always called her kid too.

She's pretty and always attracted unwanted attention. She would come to me with this, yet it seems she has sold me down the river on the same withered log. She had a habit of falling out with her boyfriend and going to her friend, then falling falling out with her friend and going to me...I suppose when she fell out with me she went to my employer. Who does she go to next??? Picture a Japanese betting ring drawing on a huge chalk board!

Comment

Oh lordy you write with such passion, I feel that I know you personally.

Ok here's my thoughts on this...

Yes you 'fell' for this girl and her tales of woe and so on, you are an honourable man and did what the majority of good men would do and that is support this girl throughout, but and this is a big but, she saw kindness as a weakness and basically (in Essex parlance) rinsed you of gifts, probably money and of course your feelings. This has left you in an awkward position at work with her side of things and how she has twisted it all in her favour.
                      You need to harden you heart towards this 'Lolita' and fight back, this is now war, yes I know you hate the idea, but you'll hate the idea more if you lose you're job and signing on the dole, its fight or flight I'm afraid and she can go out and start again at her age, sorry to say this but it will be a bloody lot harder for you to do at your age.
                      As much as I feel for you in all of this I also feel for your friend who is also your boss, (I'm a boss too), I can see that he is now going through all kinds of emotions, he wants to support his friend (you), yet he wants and needs to make sure that he does everything by the book otherwise he could fall foul of the legal side of all of this, no wonder he slumped in a chair, he's probably not sleeping either, I guarantee he is worried sick for his business, his livelihood and everything else because if he gets it wrong he can/could lose the lot, that's a hell of a position to be in and I don't envy him at all.

Please, please do me one favour, if ever you decide to retire or if you do fall out of work, then do consider taking up writing, you can self publish on Amazon and hopefully make some money along the way, my step daughter has two books on there at the moment and is writing her third at the moment, ok they are not bestsellers but they are jogging along, but if you are lucky you could take off, I mean look at the woman last year, she wrote a trilogy, self published on Amazon and everyone was reading them, she sold millions and a film is being made, you may have heard of them ...... it the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy.

Comment

I'm sorry, but at the risk of being very unpopular, eloquence does not equate to truth. We are at risk here of falling over ourselves, it would appear, to assume the worst about this young woman and assume that GettingScrewed is the innocent dupe in a epic soap opera because he is literate and articulate. And I would also point out that one persons "truth" is not always the same as someone elses "truth" - like beauty, truth can be in the eye of the beholder. I am afraid that having seen many such stories as this one, albeit perhaps less eloquently put, it is entirely possible for both versions to be true. And I am sorry but the more that GettingScrewed writes, the more the "truth" becomes obscured by questionable actions and statements. I may not craft words as well as GettingScrewed, but my livelihood has depended on dissecting and analysing them in as much detail as a forensic anthropologist analyses a body for the "truth".

I think CleverCloga has made an exceptionally valid point - there is evidence here that GettingScrewed, at the very least, has gone way beyond what would be a most unwise professional relationship with a member of his staff. His writings indicate a depth of feeling that is way past "caring" and may even be interpreted as "fixation". If these words "I saw something I wanted and I tried to get it, someone I actually thought could make me happy", as they appear to do, refer to this young woman, then it is anundantly clear that the relationship was not one of "caring" or "mentoring" from the OP's point of view, and had moved significantly beyond that in the OP's mind.

Celestine also makes a very valid point. It is all too easy to be drawn towards certain personality and physical traits which young women often exhibit in abundance, but which are certainly not unique to them - I know of women and men who are much older who are able to use such "wiles" to their advantage. The difference is that generally, younger people are less aware of their power in this respect, and although this young women may, in fact, be very manipulative on this account, that also does not infer an awareness or a deliberate intent in her actions. She is 20 years old. There is no evidence to suggest that she is anything other than a 20 year old. Not a Siren. Not a Femme Fatale. Not a Black Widow. In our human society, a responsibility lies with older adults to act wisely and with maturity, especially towards those who are younger and less mature - if you wish, less wordly wise. Getting carried away with the beauty of the words can blind us to that fact. This is not a Jane Austen novel.

When analysing an employment scenario, we look to facts, not word crafting. And we also look to inconsistences in evidence. It may seem harsh and cruel, but it is not about emotions - it is about extracting truth from what people think, from their perspective, is the truth. Inconsistencies such as the fact that last night the OP had a new girlfriend and a new relationship that he feared would be ruined by these allegations. Within a day that relationship has ended. Perhaps not impossible, but certainly somewhat precipitous and questionable. Inconsistencies such as "anyone that could have stepped forward seemed to favour her more than me, though some people did say she’s not all that innocent" - which tends to indicate that that witnesses did step forward, and they attested to bullying behaviour towards this young woman on the part of the OP. Where are the OP's witnesses to the contrary? Some of these incidents allegedly occured outside the workplace when the OP was in a bar, and were witnessed by the OP's friends. Where are their statements supporting the OP's version of events? Such statements are crucial to discrediting a version of events that is allegedly fiction, but which appears to be supported by witnesses. Where are the 3,000 texts - have these been submitted in evidence? Do they not support a different version of events?

I invite you to consider the version of another "OP", who I freely admit is a fiction:

"My 20 year old daughter has worked for XX store for the last three years. During that time she has been befriended by her older male manager. She is not a very mature young woman - not stupid by any means but easily led. During the last three years I have become increasingly concerned about his conduct towards her. They are in frequent contact outside working hours. He appears to take a prurient interest in her relationships with others which goes beyond the workplace, and has been advising her on her boyfriends and sexual relationships. He buys her gifts. I know that she has got preferential treatment over other staff in relation to things like holidays. I am very concerned about this relationship. She has no interest in him "in that way", if you see what I mean, but I do fear that his actions indicate that he is thinking otherwise, and she simply isn't mature enough to realise that he isn't just her friend, and that the way he acts towards her isn't quite right. This isn't how a manager should be. He's in a position of authority over her, and I worry where this is leading..."

How would we react to that? I know that as a mother with a daughter who was once 20, I would have very definite opinions as to the total inappropriateness of that relationship. It is not the way that a manager should act in the workplace. It is certainly something to worry about, isn't it? The OP talks about "friendly" hitting and punching. But this isn't a high school. It is a workplace. And such behaviour is not appropriate to it, and not appropriate between a manager and their staff. He talks about telling her to sit down and putting his hand on her shoulder to "guide her" into a chair. If she does not wish to sit down, why must she? It is not apppropriate to physically touch her to achieve that end.

I am not saying this to get at the OP. I am sure that their version of the truth is accurate from their perspective. But that does not make it the truth. It only makes it one version of it. Being supportive is not just about sympathising. It is also about being rational and pointing out that the OP has been exceedingly naive and very, very foolish. It is better to acknowledge that and try to make the best of it than to dress it up in flowery words that justify it.

And frankly, I think that final image of a Japanese betting ring does the OP no credit at all. It is none of the OP's business who she "goes to next". And nor should it be.

Comment

Brilliant, fearless analysis as usual Eloise. What is a Japanese betting ring?

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                            Brilliant, fearless analysis as usual Eloise. What is a Japanese betting ring?
                            I assume it is a reference to a now mostly archaic practice of illegal betting on sumo matches, which I believe was a "boisterous" activity of seedy men in darkened rooms. It's all very modern now - it's mostly on line, albeit still illegal.

Comment

Having read the first post and the others from the OP as a neutral i would be thinking that the OPs behaviour can be viewed in different ways my thinking would be thet he acted with good intentsions and was taken advantage of by this girl all ok until as we all know someone comes along and changes the girls attitude to him,the employer will probably will side with the girl to avoid a scandal their first priority will no doubt be damage limitiaton What the OP says he has done has been done by many before and will in future be done by others its in some peoples nature to care for others but in the end many wiil end up in the same boat <hope it turns out all right for both of them i say this because we have only heard one side of the story on here,

Comment

Originally posted by GettingScrewed View Post
                                In terms of unwanted gifts, I asked how can you eat with someone, ask them for advice and accept a gift from them 2 weeks earlier then not accept something? 2 weeks difference with no reason why in between? The ‘it’ was hot water bottle; “Keep yourself warm kid” was what I told her. She’s constantly shivering and coughing.

It's my turn. I'm old enough to be your mother so please take what I say as well-meaning.

If my young and vulnerable (you said she comes from a broken home) daughter had told me her boss had given her a hot water bottle and told her "keep yourself warm kid" I would personally have gone round to your office and punched your lights out for doing something so sexually suggestive.

Never mix business with pleasure because it always ends in tears. Going to a bar after work to mingle and seemingly flirt with a younger member of your staff on a regular basis (not just the Christmas Party) was a risk you took and it's backfired spectacularly. Ditto texts. Did you instantly delete hers or did you happily reply at 4 am?

Your posts say little about the serious employment disciplinary issue and a lot about your emotional attitude towards this girl in graphic detail. Are you worried about losing your job or losing this girl? Whatever did or didn't go on there was a connection between the two of you for a long time.
                                In the end she dumped you. Get over it :behindsofa:
                                Last edited by PlanB; 18th January 2013, 12:51:PM. Reason: spelling :(

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X