• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Accused of Harassment and Bullying...Please help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accused of Harassment and Bullying...Please help.

Hi all,

I’m having some difficulty at work and would be grateful of any help. I am a 31 year old male, I work in retail and was suspended and given a letter inviting me to a disciplinary hearing. This stems from an incident that occurred this past Friday between myself and a female member of staff that is 20 years old, I had attempted to tell her that I’m done with her other than on a professional level but I would appreciate it if she would stay away from me in public areas such as a bar. The conversation got heated, ended and the next thing is I have a complaint against me.

Her complaint is that she has been harassed and bullied by myself in the workplace. I know this particular girl for the past 3 years and we were at one stage very close friends. She had come from a broken home and I would look out for her and make sure she enrolled in school classes, attempted to boost her confidence, little things like that to the point where she had titled me her ‘best friend’. She at one point confided in me that her at the time boyfriend my have been off with another girl. I gave her advice, told her what I thought and said I’d support any decision that she made. Part of her complaint now seems to be that I got involved in her personal life?

Our friendship became strained over the years, partly because of this ex-boyfriend, because I did develop feelings for her and she had told me that she really cared for me. I also began to think on the advice of my friends that this girl was using me for what she could get.

About a month before Christmas we had an argument as to one of her holidays. Later that night she was in a bar, I approached her to tell her that she could have the holiday but she refused to acknowledge who I was to the point whereby one of her friends kicked a chair at me. I left the table and hadn’t spoken to her since other than to give her instruction in the workplace. She had made a statement in work that she was uncomfortable with me and our shifts were changed. I had no problem with this and cut my losses. A few days ago in the same bar I was with my friend when she walked in. I turned away from her and enjoyed my night, at the end she approached my friend who was standing directly in front of me and threw her arms around him. Surely a female can not state that she is uncomfortable around you, that she is harassed and bullied, and then approach your company in a bar while you stand there a foot from her person? She said she appreciated the fact that I did not approach her but surely I am entitled to the same courtesy on a professional or personal level. In fact my letter states that she feels “scared in my presence at times”. I take the at times to be when it suits her to say so.

I made this statement today as part of the investigation to address my employer’s comments that I was too emotionally attached to her and that I cared too much, to partly apologise for any hurt feelings and to be allowed to actually make the change and distance her in my life.

You do become emotionally attached when a girl tells you:

When a girl texts you at 3pm to ask if you’re ok? When you respond yes are you? Her reply is that the previous night someone dropped some Rohypnol or some other such substance into her drink, waited for it to take effect and then took her down an alleyway. Apparently even being told by the staff that they’d had a problem with someone date-raping their female customers. The initial contact on this subject of asking was I ok, was a clear cry for help, swearing me to secrecy that I wouldn’t tell her family. And when something like that happens, You do care.

When a girl holds on to you for hours while you wipe an endless flow of rolling tears from her eyes. When on the same night as she leaves with her ‘friends’, who smirk in the doorway like a group of hawks circling the parapets, and she clutches on to you so tightly, buries her head in your chest, then looks you directly in the eyes, tears once again streaming down her cheeks and proclaims that “These are the people you’re supposed to protect me from”. The incontrovertible truth is that you do become emotionally attached and you do care. To not care would be emotionally callous and inhuman.

It’s hard not to feel aggrieved when after the time and emotion I invested in another person is degraded with the words, “I used to really care about you but our friendship was a mistake, I regret every second of it.” This collective grouping of these choice words in that consecutive order took anything that was left.

When you buy what someone else is selling and you become emotionally attached and you do care, you hand someone the keys to do that to you. Close friends told me she was playing games and she was using me. I admittedly refused to listen and in doing so became the willing accomplice to my own destruction. My intention on that day was signify change, but change is not instantaneous. Change needs to be quantified, calculated, and weighed against alternatives and in doing so I should hope I can change my own bad fortune, my own errors of omission and inattention, my own faults.

I did not berate her, if anything I complimented her work ethic and her abilities. I said I liked the girl, called her “fantastic” and described her as possessing an inexorable quality. In fact from the beginning of my friendship with her I noticed her potential. I attempted to take this girl that didn’t seem to realise her positive attributes and suggest she draw confidence from them, that she was more than just average.

I post this because as mentioned I did have feelings for her, and I agree that my above statement might have been emotional but that I was trying to illustrate that I cared because I was made to. Since December I was attempting to put my life back together, I had made the decision that I would not be her get out of jail free card anymore, I would not be her guide, that she was responsible for whatever happened to her on her watch. I have just started dating a great girl and now it seems as one final parting shot her grievance stands to cost me everything, my livelihood, my friendships, my new relationship, my home and my reputation.

I understand that this is a messy situation and I would be grateful for any advice or help that is offered. I had invested time, emotion and finances in her, much of which was graciously accepted and appreciated at the time. My letter today stated that I had given her unwanted gifts, but they didn’t seem to be unwanted at the time. It seems that this employee has pulled out everything she can to get me based on a friendship that turned sour over a period of time. I contended that I cared because I was made to care, that there were always two people in this equation, so two people were responsible. I should also state that we remained on a friendly and talkative basis right up until a month ago, yet the letter states "over several months".

Thanks to anyone who answers…
    Last edited by GettingScrewed; 16th January 2013, 20:17:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Accused of Harassment and Bullying...Please help.

Not got the legal skill to help I'm afraid - but huge, huge sympathy. Someone will be along who has that skill I'm sure.

And by the way you write like an Angel.

Comment

Hi and welcome to you, GS. Like MissFM, I can't help or advise as regards Employment Law, but this really does look as though this girl thought she 'owned' you, and has only just realised she never did, and that you looked out for her and looked after her of your own free will. That realisation will have come as quite a shock to her, I guess, and she is reacting very badly to it. I doubt if she is thinking rationally, and if you are to defend yourself at a hearing, then that is something which you might need to be aware of. As long as you can remain calm and rational, then that should be to your advantage. Ensure that you remain truthful, and her exaggerations may well prove to be her undoing. If she is weaving a tangled web of deceit, then she will be putting herself in a dangerous position, and is likely to trip herself up. If any of her accusations can be completely disproved, then there is also perhaps the possibility that she is guilty of libel or slander. I hope someone advises her of that.

The way I see it, she has a right to make a complaint to your employer, and you of course have a right to defend yourself against that complaint. Your employer has a duty to hear both sides of the story and to make a fair and proper decision on the evidence provided. So far, nobody has technically done anything wrong as far as your employer is concerned. It will be during and after the hearing that any wrongdoing will need to be considered - so - I think your best bet is to stay cool and make your defence clear and concise.

I also agree withMissFM that your skill with words will stand you in good stead. The issues are emotive, and I believe your quietly emotive statement should show your employer who is the more reliable - both as a witness, and as an employee. I hope I've helped a little, at least.

Comment

I'm flagging this up to someone who I think will be able to give you some excellent advice on this.

Comment

I am afraid that there is little advice to offer. This is the reason why perosnal relationships of any kind, and the workplace, do not mix. I know somebody will be along any minute to tell me how they married the love of their life after meeting them in the workplace and still work with them, or their best friend is their manager, or whatever. yes it happens. So, unfortunately, does your story and myriads of others about how their personal relationship turned sour, and oddly, the "witesses against" or the accuser, or both, are more often than not the former friend/ significant other.

That said, all you can do is tell the truth and hope that the employer sees that she is being untruthful and manipulative. If you have any witnesses to any of these events described, you should get statements from them (if they are others employees, you will need the employers permission to speak to them - or ask the employer to). However, I think that you need to be aware that you may not be dismissed, but that you also may not come out of this unscathed. This is the second complaint she appears to have made - you mention that shifts were changed as a result of a previous statement from her about her concerns. Employers do tend to become very wary when second complaints come in. And inevitably, I am afraid, it is quite likely that questions will be asked about why an older man got himself into this situation with someone so much younger and emotionally immature, and why, if you could see the direction this was going and the problem with the working relationship as a result, you did not raise it sooner with your manager. I think, at the very least, you must prepare for some pretty serious questions being asked, and some rather uncomfortable ones. I am not sure how you got this involved with the girl, and whether it was purely a result of a working relationship - but you need to acknowledge that no matter how much you may of come to care about her, professionally your choices were poor. In a sense, although I understand what you were doing and why was well intentioned, it really is quite right that your were a manager, not her friend and not her counsellor. Discussing personal relationship and so on was inappropriate and very bad judgement. As was buying her gifts. I know that she was over age when you first met her - but a few years younger, quite literally, and this can be called grooming. Unless you treat all of your staff in this way (and if you do - you shouldn't), again, it raises questions about your motivation.

As I said, I am quite sure that you had good intentions, but you now know, quite literally, that good intentions pave the way to hell. Hopefully, your employer will know you well enough to realsie that this was poor judgement and poorly thought out good intentions. As such, on that basis, I think leniency would be a riot act that you would never forget for the rest of your working life - but it may be that she is believed or partially believed. After all, they believed her once already when they changed the shifts, so it may not be a step too far that they will believe that you have acted inappropriately towards her. I am afraid that is something nobody can predict. But good luck.

Comment

It has become apparent, even to a well-meaning fool like myself who can only stubbornly believe in everyone’s benign and charitable nature despite a lifetime’s worth of evidence to suggest otherwise, that I will have no fans in the disciplinary room. On previous life experience, people want to keep themselves out of such matters. I fear the truth is that I am a conviction waiting to happen. She herself has commented in the past that I am "too nice". I guess I was still doing little things for her up until this point of contention.

The worst thing is my employer in this case is a closer personal friend. I've known him for over 8 years and I consider him family. I know he has a responsibility to investigate but I am sure she is fully aware that this has strained my friendship with him.

On a personal level, why did I continue to do things I did for her? I suppose I have a self-confessed Superman complex, whereby if I see someone in need, I kinda have to help them. She knows this about me and has commented it on it many times. I perhaps also suffer from 1920’s educational psychologist Edward Thorndike’s ‘Halo Effect’, I constantly allowed a single positive attribute to override and shine a bright blinding light over the negatives.

She and I have always had more in common than we have ever had to argue about. In the novel Paradise Lost, God says to Devil “you need me, and I need you” So perhaps she stopped needing me first. But as I have proved, in the workplace or on a night out, I do not need her anymore. My intention was to move on.

Thanks to all that have commented so far…thanks to MissFM for her kind words and Bill-K for agreeing. My confidence is down at this point, and just when I was getting it back on track, so any little support in nice.

Thanks to Sapphire for saying she’ll bump it up…

Thanks to all.

Comment

Sorry but I think in this situation you have to go in, face the music, defend yourself as well as you possibly can and then pray that you keep your job, which like Eloise I do believe that will happen, but you must, must in future be careful and harden your heart to such situations and not go there again.
              I'm sorry I can't add much more, but you know you've been a bit daft, and that she's taken advantage of your good nature, just try not to let it happen again, especially with young girls.

Comment

This is of no practical help - just an irrelevant expression of appreciation.

Your writing is phenomenal, really very beautiful despite its harrowing content. Or maybe it is that you are able to write from the heart to the heart. No help to you in this situation but a very sincere thank you.

Personally I believe that love and art are the only things that really matter so please excuse this outburst!

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                  This is of no practical help - just an irrelevant expression of appreciation.

Your writing is phenomenal, really very beautiful despite its harrowing content. Or maybe it is that you are able to write from the heart to the heart. No help to you in this situation but a very sincere thank you.

Personally I believe that love and art are the only things that really matter so please excuse this outburst!
                  I agree with MissFM....I was reading and became totally lost in your words. If this job don't work out...take up writing...you're a natural!
                  "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Awh, thanks again to MissFM and to Celeste. I was quite guarded before I got to know this girl, then over time let those walls down. She used to call me Eli as in Denzel Washington's character from the Book of Eli. I'd always help her...if you could picture the older guy walking along with the disgruntled alternative-looking teenager walking a few steps behind, kicking her military boots in the sand while listening to some form of rebellious rock music as she picked up life lessons from me along the way. I'd stop to teach her things and offer advice as she asked for it.

So much for my rose-tinted view of the world. I guess from this point onwards I'll have the view that if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...it's probably some little girl that wants to get what she can from me and then inevitably screw me over.

I have an anxious night ahead of me as I attempt to get any sleep before tomorrow, fatigued as I am from nervously pacing around all day and shifting my weight from one foot to the other. Kind words will send me off with a sigh and smile though. At this point it really is a matter of a friendship that ran the course and then turned sour, tomorrow it becomes a legal matter though.

Thanks to all who respond, comment, and offer help in any way. I appreciate all of it, the kind words and criticism of my idiocies that have led me here alike.

Comment

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Meanwhile MissFm and I will be negotiating your first book deal
                      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Agree with the sentiments above; however, being practical.
                        You are entitled to have someone with you from work to take notes or a recognised Trade Union Rep, if you are in a Trade Union. But read the ACAS Code of Practice for Disciplinaries & Grievances - you can put a grievance in against her, although you may feel you don't want to this may be your best defence, as the grievance needs to be resolved before the disciplinary can carry on. Your statement above could form the basis of your grievance.

Originally posted by GettingScrewed
                        I made this statement today as part of the investigation to address my employer’s comments that I was too emotionally attached to her and that I cared too much, to partly apologise for any hurt feelings and to be allowed to actually make the change and distance her in my life.

You do become emotionally attached when a girl tells you:

When a girl texts you at 3pm to ask if you’re ok? When you respond yes are you? Her reply is that the previous night someone dropped some Rohypnol or some other such substance into her drink, waited for it to take effect and then took her down an alleyway. Apparently even being told by the staff that they’d had a problem with someone date-raping their female customers. The initial contact on this subject of asking was I ok, was a clear cry for help, swearing me to secrecy that I wouldn’t tell her family. And when something like that happens, You do care.

When a girl holds on to you for hours while you wipe an endless flow of rolling tears from her eyes. When on the same night as she leaves with her ‘friends’, who smirk in the doorway like a group of hawks circling the parapets, and she clutches on to you so tightly, buries her head in your chest, then looks you directly in the eyes, tears once again streaming down her cheeks and proclaims that “These are the people you’re supposed to protect me from”. The incontrovertible truth is that you do become emotionally attached and you do care. To not care would be emotionally callous and inhuman.

It’s hard not to feel aggrieved when after the time and emotion I invested in another person is degraded with the words, “I used to really care about you but our friendship was a mistake, I regret every second of it.” This collective grouping of these choice words in that consecutive order took anything that was left.

When you buy what someone else is selling and you become emotionally attached and you do care, you hand someone the keys to do that to you. Close friends told me she was playing games and she was using me. I admittedly refused to listen and in doing so became the willing accomplice to my own destruction. My intention on that day was signify change, but change is not instantaneous. Change needs to be quantified, calculated, and weighed against alternatives and in doing so I should hope I can change my own bad fortune, my own errors of omission and inattention, my own faults.

I did not berate her, if anything I complimented her work ethic and her abilities. I said I liked the girl, called her “fantastic” and described her as possessing an inexorable quality. In fact from the beginning of my friendship with her I noticed her potential. I attempted to take this girl that didn’t seem to realise her positive attributes and suggest she draw confidence from them, that she was more than just average.

I post this because as mentioned I did have feelings for her, and I agree that my above statement might have been emotional but that I was trying to illustrate that I cared because I was made to. Since December I was attempting to put my life back together, I had made the decision that I would not be her get out of jail free card anymore, I would not be her guide, that she was responsible for whatever happened to her on her watch. I have just started dating a great girl and now it seems as one final parting shot her grievance stands to cost me everything, my livelihood, my friendships, my new relationship, my home and my reputation.

I understand that this is a messy situation and I would be grateful for any advice or help that is offered. I had invested time, emotion and finances in her, much of which was graciously accepted and appreciated at the time. My letter today stated that I had given her unwanted gifts, but they didn’t seem to be unwanted at the time. It seems that this employee has pulled out everything she can to get me based on a friendship that turned sour over a period of time. I contended that I cared because I was made to care, that there were always two people in this equation, so two people were responsible. I should also state that we remained on a friendly and talkative basis right up until a month ago, yet the letter states "over several months".

If you don't defend yourself vigourously, you may find yorself out of a job get -statements from the friend you were with in the bar - if it one you frequent often - ask the staff if they will give statements - are you in a Trade Union? (My guess is no; but if you are, contact your nearest office) and once this is all resolved join a Trade Union - after all you don't drive a car without insurance - so why work without insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by GettingScrewed View Post
                          It’s hard not to feel aggrieved when after the time and emotion I invested in another person is degraded with the words, “I used to really care about you but our friendship was a mistake, I regret every second of it.”
                          My response might be that I also felt the same way, before adding that I had evidently made the common error of imagining that she might be sane.

My letter today stated that I had given her unwanted gifts, but they didn’t seem to be unwanted at the time.
                          Moreover, gifts are usually unsolicited. Unless you bought her frilly knickers or a Rampant Rabbit, it is difficult to understand why one friend might not give a present to another.

My question in this would be "How might she gain by this?". Would getting you sidelined or sacked boost her career at all, or is she playing at this malicious version of Silly Buggers as the basis for a compensation claim from her employers?

Comment

Hell hath no fury than a woman who feels she has been 'usurped and upgraded' in a mans life.

She sounds like she has her kittyclaws out and is using every trick in the 'Silly Little Girls' book of Bitchery.....a well known and well thumbed guide to Jealousy.

Your friendship has run out of steam,I hope you keep your job,and a bit of advice from an old chook,,,,get out a sewing kit and unstitch your heart from your sleeve and put it under lock and key till the right lady comes along

Comment

Originally posted by GettingScrewed View Post
                              Awh, thanks again to MissFM and to Celeste. I was quite guarded before I got to know this girl, then over time let those walls down. She used to call me Eli as in Denzel Washington's character from the Book of Eli. I'd always help her...if you could picture the older guy walking along with the disgruntled alternative-looking teenager walking a few steps behind, kicking her military boots in the sand while listening to some form of rebellious rock music as she picked up life lessons from me along the way. I'd stop to teach her things and offer advice as she asked for it.

So much for my rose-tinted view of the world. I guess from this point onwards I'll have the view that if it looks like a duck and it quacks like a duck...it's probably some little girl that wants to get what she can from me and then inevitably screw me over.

I have an anxious night ahead of me as I attempt to get any sleep before tomorrow, fatigued as I am from nervously pacing around all day and shifting my weight from one foot to the other. Kind words will send me off with a sigh and smile though. At this point it really is a matter of a friendship that ran the course and then turned sour, tomorrow it becomes a legal matter though.

Thanks to all who respond, comment, and offer help in any way. I appreciate all of it, the kind words and criticism of my idiocies that have led me here alike.
                              Unfortunately the above is all too common, even when you think you know someone, there can be a nasty surprise lurking in the shadows. :shocked: :noidea:

You're by no means alone, I recently had a similar experience, albeit in a different context, where someone showed his true colours when I was least expecting it, twisting and turning the facts to make them look like something completely different.

I hope everything works out well for you!:hug:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X