• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenant access to utility meters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant access to utility meters

Hi

I live in a block of 10 flats in an old converted building. All utility meters for the flats are in the cellar of the building which is locked for the health and safety of the tenants. We tenants therefore have no access to the meters, neither do the meter readers from the assortment of companies that supply our services.

This is making it difficult for me to obtain services at the best rate as I cannot supply a monthly online meter reading to my utility provider.

What is the legal position? Surely I should be able to discover how much gas/elec I am using at any given time?

Grateful for any clarification on this. Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Tenant access to utility meters

Don't utility companies have a legal obligation to read the meter every so often?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
      Don't utility companies have a legal obligation to read the meter every so often?
      As far as I can ascertain, no. This seems bizarre, but I can find nothing in 10 minutes on Google which states anything other than if the meter reader cannot gain access, it is up to the consumer to supply an accurate reading.

Comment

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...e-billing-code

Comment

However, in these cases, the supplier will review each case individually and may apply a "poor service" adjustment to the account if it is appropriate.

For the purpose of 2.1.2, the supplier is not at fault if they can demonstrate that they have taken all of the following actions:
          • A. Read or attempted to read the meter at the premises within the last 24 months
          • B. Provided opportunities for the customer to submit their own meter reading at any time on any day; and
          • C. Any bills sent to the customer are clearly indicated as estimates (if applicable) and that these have been based on any previous history, or (if not available) on average consumption for a similar property.

Comment

I can give you an example of:attention: something similar. I rented a caravan and the electricity meter was in the Kitchen of the Site owner and he had like an array of meters on the wall for every caravan. After two weeks living there he called me in to tell me how much electricity I had used and he said it was £35.00 (approx as it has been some time) I knew this was a lie so I refused to pay and took the figure to the Hydro Electric shop and he said that is impossible before I could even give him details of my appliances. I did ask if he wanted to know for accuracies sake and he assured me it would be impossible.

I would insist upon getting access if you pay for the electricity to your Land Lord/Lady. So that you get a reading for each time you pay your bill. If they do not you could be overcharged seriously. The Hydro Manager told me that he has had a lot of complaints about Smarts Caravan site, FACT, and he keeps a record of all of them.

The site owner was under investigation by the :attention:Tax office I heard sometime later:attention:

Comment

Originally posted by lifeinthepastlane View Post
              Hi

I live in a block of 10 flats in an old converted building. All utility meters for the flats are in the cellar of the building which is locked for the health and safety of the tenants. We tenants therefore have no access to the meters, neither do the meter readers from the assortment of companies that supply our services.
              So who has got the key? If you're a tenant you'll be paying rent to a landlord who has a legal obligation to provide you with contact details. Under section 48 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 rent is not lawfully due unless the Landlord has given the tenant an address in writing at which notices can be served. This information should be embodied in your tenancy agreement. If it was me I'd write to that address putting him on notice that unless he/she provides you with access to the utility meters you will be considering withholding your rent. That should make him/her find the key quick smart especially if all 10 flats sent the same letter at the same time :typing:

Is this a private landlord or social landlord?

Comment

It could also get you evicted if the dispute goes on, so be careful.

Comment

A Landlord cannot lawfully claim rent if/while in breach of section 48 :nerd:

Although I did suggest a letter saying that the OP was "considering" withholding rent not actually withholding rent. A threat of no money coming in is always a good way to get a landlord sit up and pay attention to your concerns :nod:

There is normally a clause in the tenancy agreement which says that the tenant is liable for payment of all utilities, so it follows that the tenant and/or the utility company must have access to the meters in order to comply with the clause.

A lot depends on whether this is a private landlord or a social landlord because some housing associations include water and heating in the rent but not electricty etc. The OP needs to see what it says in the contract.

The landlord or the managing agent will also be requesting service charges since this is not a freehold situation and threatening to withhold these is another option.

It's all about piling on the pressure until the landlord provides the key to the basement area :rant:

Comment

At the risk of appearing a COMPLETE idiot - have you actually asked the landlord for the key?

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                      At the risk of appearing a COMPLETE idiot - have you actually asked the landlord for the key?
                      At the risk of appearing like a complete vandal, if the OP has formally asked the landlord for the key/access and been refused or ignored, then I'd be checking out my legal rights to approach a locksmith. But surely the gas or electricity meters are the property of Transco or the utility company. Shouldn't they be the ones demanding access not the tenant who could do without this hassle.
                      Last edited by PlanB; 17th January 2013, 19:02:PM. Reason: typos & poor grammar :(

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                        At the risk of appearing like a complete vandal, if the OP has formally asked the landlord for the key/access and been refused or ignored, then I'd be checking out my legal rights to approach a locksmith. But surely the gas or electricity meters are the property of Transco or the utility company. Shouldn't they be the ones demanding access not the tenant who could do without this hassle.
                        Sorry PlanB mine was a genuine question not a wind-up

Comment

Although the implication is there (access barred) it is not actually spelt out....

Comment

Originally posted by MissFM View Post
                            Sorry PlanB mine was a genuine question not a wind-up
                            Don't be silly, I didn't think it was a wind up at all :hug: I thought I was trying to be funny by copying your post and I obviously got that spectaculary wrong I may be an old biddy with a bus pass but I've still got a lot to learn about posting on the internet where you can't see a person's facial expression :typing:

Comment

We're in the same boat PlanB - I seem to hit the wrong note all the time! xxx:fish2::rockon:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X